Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Mojo Classic - new essay on Love

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 17/08/2007 : 12:02:38
I've just got my hands on the latest in the excellent 'Mojo Classic' series. It is entitled 'Hendrix and the Summer of Love' and is a chronological account, month by month, of 1967's contribution to music. Under 'November' there is from Martin Aston (!) an interesting chapter on Love entitled 'Bad Vibrations'. Also at the end of the magazine there is a review of the year's essential songs and 'The Red Telephone' is discussed there. The whole thing is a fascinating read - Hendrix, Beatles, Stones, Who, Donovan, Grace Slick - as well as Roger McGuinn's acid confessions! I must myself confess to having been shocked by these - on the back of the original cover for 'The Byrds Greatest Hits'(also from that year) it says quite clearly that the highs came from Coca Cola and Lemonade!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
barbinberkeley Posted - 04/10/2007 : 01:47:28
That is a beautiful issue of Mojo. I finally found it at a small magazine store in San Francisco. I had to pay $15.00 for it, but it was too nice to pass up. Did you notice that John Densmore, the Doors' drummer, on page 95,commented on Arthur?
Q:Was there a sense of community and brotherhood in the Hollywood psychedelic scene?
A:Absolutely. In May of 1966 The Doors were at the London Fog and I would go right up the street to the Whisky and hear Love play. Arthur Lee told Jac Holsman of Electra Records about us when we played the Whisky. That was an incredibly sweet gesture. Forever Changes is a masterpiece.
ed the bear Posted - 03/10/2007 : 06:09:41
The special issue finally showed up in my local Borders. Took 'em long enough. The whole issue is worth reading.
John9 Posted - 10/09/2007 : 00:17:13
No Ed - you're absolutely right - they are American. I think they are wonderful places to buy books and most of the larger cities here have outlets. There's quite a large one in York that is a great place to spend a rainy Saturday morning.
ed the bear Posted - 10/09/2007 : 00:01:09
I should amend what I said: I think Borders is a US chain. I could be wrong...
The Freedom Man Posted - 09/09/2007 : 14:51:10
There was a small story in the Feb. 13, 1975 issue of Rolling Stone.
It was an interview done by Steven Rosen which he did in october 1974 with Arthur.
John9 Posted - 09/09/2007 : 09:58:10
And there was me thinking that the Borders chain we have over here was actually British! It just shows you though - those cynics who say we are in danger of becoming the 51st state may have something after all.

I've got really fond memories of 'Rolling Stone'- in the early 70's when there was such a mismatch between what was on the charts and what was actually hip to listen to, it was just about the only magazine to be seen with. I can remember being really shocked when they carried an interview with Karen Carpenter. Today though, I'm really proud of my Carpenters' cd collection. I can also remember being enthralled by Rolling Stone's coverage of the Watergate Crisis during which of course, they had a complete field day!

I don't recall 'Rolling Stone' doing anything on Arthur - though other contributors may remember differently. But I did once write to them around 1976-77. They had carried a lengthy report on a recent concert given by David Crosby, Graham Nash and Carole King. In my letter I commented on the irony of it all - that years before, Crosby had refused to play on two Byrds'songs by Carole King - and that the other Byrds had refused to include his song 'Triad' on their new album - I remarked that David now seemed to have resolved the dilemma admirably. A few weeks later back came a reply, the memory of which I shall always treasure. It was from Cameron Crowe, now of course a fim director. Appended to it was a typically blunt statement from Crosby: "Clever ffff.....fellow" - yes that was it - "Clever fellow"!
ed the bear Posted - 09/09/2007 : 02:56:50
Borders (a big US bookstore chain) usually has Mojo but for some reason they don't get the "specials." How come you Brits put out the good music magazines (Mojo, Uncut, etc.) and we don't? I'm old enough to remember when Rolling Stone was good, but now...

(And don't get all uppity just because our language is named after your country.) No idea how that happened.
John9 Posted - 03/09/2007 : 23:10:27

Yes - of course it is always better to have your hands on the complete thing. Nevertheless - the offer still stands.
Tina Posted - 03/09/2007 : 07:49:09
http://www.subscription.co.uk/home/prods.asp?m=516

Looks like you can buy it and get it sent most anywhere in the world, even the U S of A!
ed the bear Posted - 03/09/2007 : 06:52:50
quote:
as for the War of Independence......well in Britain we're largely over that now!

I was just remarking to a Canadian friend the other day how we fought for our freedom, while they still suffer under the yoke of English tyranny. No, wait...
John9 Posted - 01/09/2007 : 09:16:38
The Mojo feature on Love takes up a single page - and so I could easily scan it and then email it to you - just email me if you would like that.

Addendum: In fact if anyone else Stateside would like a copy of this page I would be very happy to send it. After all, we have the Special Relationship to consider - and as for the War of Independence......well in Britain were're largely over that now!
barbinberkeley Posted - 01/09/2007 : 04:39:17
Sorry, I found out for myself. It's a magazine..Duh.
barbinberkeley Posted - 01/09/2007 : 01:27:13
What is Mojo Classic and where do you get it?
scully Posted - 17/08/2007 : 20:37:32
It's a really good read -- I was a bit cynical about 'yet another' psych special, but the writers do find some new angles, which is nice to see.

Anyone who changes their name from Jim to Roger has to have been using more than lemonade ;)

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page