Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 UK Tour 1974 & 75

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
torben Posted - 18/07/2007 : 13:23:16
Finally got time to make pages with a diary from the 1975 tour and photos from 1974.
I don't know all of the names on the photos, but I'm sure someone here can help me.
http://love.torbenskott.dk/
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
astrolobe33 Posted - 06/01/2008 : 04:24:15
quote:
Originally posted by harvey

... So remember folks if you get approached by a bunch of people playing a type of music you think has been dead for years, take a bit of notice and you might end up bonking Britt Eklund.

That was a great story, thanks for that!
ed the bear Posted - 06/01/2008 : 02:08:23
quote:
if we start casting people like Yusuf Islam as potential terrorists

They're locking them up today,
they're throwing away the key,
I wonder who it'll be tomorrow,
you or me!

Now who said that?
John9 Posted - 05/01/2008 : 07:43:09
quote:
Originally posted by kdion11

KD: I hear you John - no biggie, I just have never liked
his music - just opinions that's all.

Free the opinions !

Thanks Kdion - sorry if I went on a bit.
harvey Posted - 05/01/2008 : 01:27:39
Ok you guys all I know about Cat Stevens is what his producer Paul Samwell Smith ex Yardbirds told me when I worked for reformed Yardbirds many years later, he said there was an awful lot of totally clearing a studio that was costing an awful of money to use and turning all the lights out and just sitting in the studio chanting. Everybody just bogged off to the canteen and let Cat get on with it.
Dont mention Keith Altham. Ok here comes a rock biz story. In early eighties I was working with some bands at Dingwalls, Camden Lock one night and after the gig there were three yanks dressed like teddy boys with big quiffs standing outside and they had just got off the plane/boat from america and were looking for another band that should have been playing that night. Tenpole tudor or someone. The band were supposed to be helping them with accomodation etc. I asked what sort of music they were playing and they said that they were doing a rockabilly act. They said they had played Waxy Maxies Club in America a few nights ago and I had heard of that so thought they must be at least reasonable. So I offered to rent them all my P.A. gear etc and they took my number. I could not offer accomodation which is what they were looking for and I was thinking "Rockabilly!!! in England ...Dead as a proverbial. Dont get involved." Anyway eventually a nice young lady appeared who had overheard what was going on and she said she worked in the office at Keith Althams and she thought she could find them some short term accomodation. So they all disappeared with her and we carried on putting the equipment in the truck. Biiiiig Mishtake. What is the headlines in Melody Maker and NME a couple of months later. THE STRAY CATS. Setzer is up there for awards for his looks and his guitar playing etc etc. OOOPs....Rockabilly dead huh.... and so they go on to a very successful career. Only downside is that after a few months of success the drummer Slim Jim ended up bonking Britt Eklund. Then they sort of disappeared off the radar as probably all got so much dosh they did not need to work again. So remember folks if you get approached by a bunch of people playing a type of music you think has been dead for years, take a bit of notice and you might end up bonking Britt Eklund.
Ok so none of that had anything to do with Arthur except he did play Dingwalls on the 1974 tour and got punched by a fan for his troubles a few minutes after the colour photos on this site were taken. Maybe he should have b.....ked Britt Eklund. Maybe he had and that is why the fan was annoyed....Law suit anybody...
kdion11 Posted - 04/01/2008 : 23:31:47
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Oh well, if the State Department have got him down as a supporter of international terror.......then I suppose he must be.........I mean, how could they be wrong?

Yes certainly - let's do some freeing. Let's try to free the World from base prejudice! And let people be free to enjoy their own choice in music without it being insulted.

KD: I hear you John - no biggie, I just have never liked
his music - just opinions that's all.

Free the opinions !
John9 Posted - 04/01/2008 : 10:00:16
Oh well, if the State Department have got him down as a supporter of international terror.......then I suppose he must be.........I mean, how could they be wrong? I do not deny that that Yusuf Islam made in 1989, some very nieve and ill advised comments about the implications of his new found faith in respect of Salman Rushdie - I found myself in profound disagreement with him over that. But if you look at his much more mature remarks to 'Rolling Stone' in 2000, he does set it all in a broader context - and also points to the dilemmas that many christians would face if they were to examine some of the teachings in the Old Testament closely enough. Some, including Rushdie himself have accused Yusuf of trying to rewrite his own history with the benefit of hindsight. I would have some sympathy with that view. But I do not believe that this makes him a supporter of terrorism. He closed his 2006 London concert with the words "Let's all get on the Peace Train". God knows in both our countries, we need to be mindful of the all too present threat of terrorism. But if we start casting people like Yusuf Islam as potential terrorists then we will end up being frightened of our own shadows - just as happened in Arthur Miller's 'The Crucible'.

As for 'soft rock'......I always thought that our own Arthur Lee was rather good at that. Just as there is room enough in his magnificent legacy for 'Listen To My Song' alongside 'Stand Out', so popular music as a whole can easily accomodate Cat Stevens alongside Jimi Hendrix. And, in London during the late 60s......weren't the two men friends?

Yes certainly - let's do some freeing. Let's try to free the World from base prejudice! And let people be free to enjoy their own choice in music without it being insulted.
kdion11 Posted - 04/01/2008 : 00:46:54
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:

KD: "Hey Harvey - that is also the site where Jimi Hendrix first burned his guitar - on the advice of PR / Press dude Keith Altham !
That of course was on the "legendary" 1967 UK tour with Cat Stevens, The Walker Brothers and Engelbert Humberdink ! Jimi must have blown those idiots easily off the stage that night !
Free the fires !"

Cat Stevens an idiot? Try listening, in addition to his great early singles, to the albums 'Mona Bone Jakon', 'Tea For The Tillerman' and 'Teaser and the Firecat'. And don't forget the message of peace which, as Yusuf Islam, he conveys in his performances to this day ... following the events in Pakistan this last week, the World could certainly do with some of that.
[/quote]

KD: Yep ! Cat Stevens an idiot ! Isn't he on the State Dept list
of international terror supporters ? I belive he is, based on his
"idiotic" calls for the assasination of Rushdie. Always hated his
soft rock "idiotic" song writing and whimpy "idiotic" albums too.

Free the cats !
John9 Posted - 03/01/2008 : 00:14:30
quote:

KD: "Hey Harvey - that is also the site where Jimi Hendrix first burned his guitar - on the advice of PR / Press dude Keith Altham !
That of course was on the "legendary" 1967 UK tour with Cat Stevens, The Walker Brothers and Engelbert Humberdink ! Jimi must have blown those idiots easily off the stage that night !
Free the fires !"
[/quote]

Cat Stevens an idiot? Try listening, in addition to his great early singles, to the albums 'Mona Bone Jakon', 'Tea For The Tillerman' and 'Teaser and the Firecat'. And don't forget the message of peace which, as Yusuf Islam, he conveys in his performances to this day ... following the events in Pakistan this last week, the World could certainly do with some of that.
kdion11 Posted - 02/01/2008 : 20:59:56
quote:
Originally posted by harvey

Hey Rockstar (which one , I knew so many Ha Ha) Ok so The Rainbow in London (Finsbury Park) where so many acts appeared , Zappa got pushed in to the deep orchestra pit, Arthur wound me up pretending he was going to fall in it while I watched him from side of stage, my ....!! how many acts I saw and worked for there, even played drums onstage there once, Billy Preston, Jeff Beck, etc etc. Anyway, it is now a 'Happy Clappy' Church. Seats still there but stage converted to an altar and orchestra pit covered over. How are the mighty fallen.
Harvey

KD: Hey Harvey - that is also the site where Jimi Hendrix first burned his guitar - on the advice of PR / Press dude Keith Altham !

Free the fires !

ALLANAGAIN Posted - 02/01/2008 : 20:39:15
Thanks for sharing those memories Harvey , some of the most iontersting stuff i,ve read on Love for a while, keep ,em coming man!
Allan
SignedRW Posted - 02/01/2008 : 20:02:34
Dog Soldier had a U.S. release on United Artists in 1975. It was Hartley on drums, with the great Miller Anderson, Keef Hartley Band mainstay on vocals and guitar. They were a five-piece, a bit
like a Keef Hartley Band without horns; hard rockin' but still pretty tasteful stuff. That I'm aware of, the Keef Hartley Band
released seven albums between late 1968 and late 1973 in the U.S.
The first two, "Halfbreed" and "Battle of Northwest Six" are both
excellent, pretty timeless (but clearly of their time) records,
and are highly recommended for fans of a progressive blues rock
sound; "Halfbreed" especially, which opens and closes with a phone
conversation between Keef Hartley and John Mayall called "Sacked,"
in which Mayall, about to put together his drummerless "Turning Point" band, calls to give Keef "a bit of bad news."
John9 Posted - 02/01/2008 : 15:45:56

Thanks Harvey for this info. I knew about Keef Hartley but had no idea that he had been involved in Dog Soldier. One vivid memory I have of the evening (in Liverpool around May '75)was that '7 and 7 is' was about the third song in Love's set. Much later in the show, Arthur announced that he was going to perform 'August'. Immediately some idiot behind us yelled out "7 and 7 is!" Arthur's riposte was "We did that one earlier....I can't help it if you came in late."
harvey Posted - 01/01/2008 : 23:49:06
John9 The original 1975 Dog Soldier was formed by Keef Hartley. Keef was a drummer and was in various bands, replaced Ringo in Rory Storm nad the Hurricanes.Played in the John Mayall Bluesbreakers and I saw them several times with that lineup.Eventually formed Keef Hartley Band and I worked with support band at big multi band show at Roundhouse , Chalk Farm. band I was working with was Casablanca who were supporting Artur and Love on their 1974 tour. Arthur and Love were not playing that afternoon. Can find a reference to a 1975 album by Dog Soldier on the web but do not think they lasted long as Keef Hartley Band went on for some time and were on radio many times.Keef Hartley band were more jazz influenced and had horns etc.do not remember names of anybody else in band. Web may help.
Sorry cannot help more than that but Keef goes back many years.
Harvey
John9 Posted - 01/01/2008 : 22:45:34

Whilst on this general subject, does anyone remember the UK group 'Dog Soldier' who supported Love on their 1975 tour? Their heavy sound severely affected my hearing for days afterwards - and they made the Love set that followed seem like a masterclass in soft rock! Dog Soldier I believe, did an album in that same year - although I notice that there is now a US group of veteran rockers who are currently trading under the very same name.
harvey Posted - 01/01/2008 : 11:59:45
jeff
I am surprised it is still standing, over here it would have been demolished within a year and a large block of flats would have been put there.They are demolishing 1930's art deco houses here as they have a fair size garden and then putting 4 or 5 dwellings in the same space. Local officials reject plans and the developer appeals to the government who pass the plans and allow development so people living either side of the development move in disgust so developer buys their property as well and demolishes it.
We put a lot of work into converting a disused cinema in town into a rock gig, did three gigs, yardbirds, chris Farlowe and another I am ashamed I cannot remember and then were shut down for noise pollution. Nearest houses quarter of a mile away. Doors of venue shut ok not much noise but everybody kept opening doors so shut down. Council allowed it to be turned into a mens health club but then shut that down after a few months as too many rent boys hanging around outside. So now it is a pub, smack opposite another pub and rival gangs meet in middle of street after closing time and have drunken punch ups.
I would say that at least half the gigs that Arthur played in 1974 are now closed. Only ones still going are colleges and universities but their budgets are well down. Government have built very large arenas for millenium celebrations then mothball them afterwards.Multinational companies have converted a few large arenas but will only showcase absolute dead cert moneymaking acts such as Kylie Minogue etc. Any act in Arthurs situation as it was in 74 ( ie. a bit jaded and lots of people did not really know who he was)would have great difficulty finding venues these days.
Happy New Year
Harvey

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page