Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 How did you discover Love?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scully Posted - 03/06/2007 : 23:04:52
Just wondering how people on the board discovered Love -- did you hear them on the radio, read a review, get a tape from a friend or just stumble across them.....

I found ny way to them via Liverpool post-punk rock (Echo and The Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes) around 1981. Interviews with the band would alway mention Love (or the Doors, or the Elevators, or the Seeds etc) and I was intrigued, but I was short of funds so I couldn't buy the records. Then I ended up sharing a flat with some girls, one of whom had her Dad's records, amongst them was Forever Changes. Played it once and nothing was the same again, thankfully.

Cheers,
Scully.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 03/12/2007 : 18:26:51
thanks lemonade kid....good to know you had the same experience I had with the record..I don't know..I just never get "tired" of listening to that work...no music "wearout" with me on FC..hey this ain't bubblegum muzik!...
lemonade kid Posted - 02/12/2007 : 22:08:01
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

just something I wanted to note...I noticed that many (almost all?) have the experience that the FC record just "grew on" everybody that is it didn't hit everybody in the eyes right away say like 'Sgt Pepper' or 'Pet Sounds'. That's something in my books and it says something for creative art if you get the drift to where I'm going. Ok I'll say those other records were really very well done and all but the fact that it took a little longer for FC to make its way with everybody makes it all the better as a work for all "music-time". The truly great stuff sometimes doesn't turn up all its secrets right away!..rocker..in a philosophical mood today!!......

So true. I've turned a lot of people on to Forever Changes, but most said they didn't like it right away. I encouraged more listens---- it's the pop tunes that get you right away that are usually the ones you tire of quickly. The thing about Forever Changes is that it seems to grow deeper & stronger with each listen.
Nanker Posted - 20/11/2007 : 20:13:10
Actually late 66 or early 67 this guy had Da Capo. I listened to it, bought a copy and have been hooked ever since.
rocker Posted - 20/11/2007 : 14:30:59
kj...enigmatic and magical..right...well it hit you first before it hit me!...and hey you're sitting up there with 26 pts..you got a good team there..they're playing well...next up I see is Reading....good luck....also I see that you want to top the mancs when it comes to advertising yourselves around the world..that's the thinking!..why give it all to the mancs, eh??????..........
bob f. Posted - 20/11/2007 : 05:54:37
i first discovered LOVE in 1966 on the radio, when radio was cool.in Los Angeles. A.M. radio! I love those days of cutting edge pioneers of psych-garage rock mixed on the same radio show with James Brown,
Them, The Animals, Nancy Sinatra, Beatles, Kinks, and The Monkees' new records! just before F.M. underground when everything changed.

...what the world needs now...
John9 Posted - 19/11/2007 : 23:33:28
With me it was a little different. As I listened to 'Forever Changes' for the first time in 1971, I immediately knew that it was the best rock music I had ever heard - and it still is. In recent years I have listened almost exclusively to the live version - but not long ago I took the original to play in the car on the way to see my beloved Manchester City play Middlesborough. I almost wept at the album's eerie and timeless beauty. I don't think that there is anyone - not Dylan, not the Beatles, not the Stones nor the Doors who came anywhere close to matching it. These four, of course can all look back on far more consistent bodies of work long term than Love can - but it is precisely that which makes our favourites so enigmatic.....and so magical!
rocker Posted - 19/11/2007 : 14:37:53
just something I wanted to note...I noticed that many (almost all?) have the experience that the FC record just "grew on" everybody that is it didn't hit everybody in the eyes right away say like 'Sgt Pepper' or 'Pet Sounds'. That's something in my books and it says something for creative art if you get the drift to where I'm going. Ok I'll say those other records were really very well done and all but the fact that it took a little longer for FC to make its way with everybody makes it all the better as a work for all "music-time". The truly great stuff sometimes doesn't turn up all its secrets right away!..rocker..in a philosophical mood today!!......
Orange Skies Posted - 19/11/2007 : 01:27:53
Sometime back in the 60s, my friend/boyfriend (can't remember which he was at the time) brought over the Love album for me to listen to. Love was already a favorite of his and I believe this was the 1st studio album Love recorded in 1966.

I was blown away and we listened almost every day. As soon as Da Capo came out, we had to have that one too. I was hooked from the get-go.

Orange Skies, ĦQue Vida! and She Comes In Colors were my first favs off the first two albums, probably because I play flute and have since I was 5. He was a guitar player (my boyfriend) and we'd spend hour upon hour playing along, practicing the music and just listening.

Love and Arthur Lee have been one of my most favorite bands since the 60s. No doubt they'll always be! :)
kdion11 Posted - 06/07/2007 : 00:59:12

that afternoon we went into his garage where he played us 3 albums .
Fresh Cream
Are You Experienced Both UK Imports
and The First Love record.
I would never be the same again.
Beatlemania and
MM

KD: Hey MM - sort of similar experience for me too. I was a 13 year old kid who's family had just moved to Christchurch New Zealand from Souther California. I'd been a major Jimi Hendrix freak since discovering the Axis Bold as Love album in 1968 - not necessarily because of what it sounded like, but because of how they looked ! How could any group that looked as cool as them not be great !

A school friend of mine in NZ pulled out the first LOVE album at his house, and just the sight of those "Psychedelic Hoods" was also enough for me to become hooked permanantly. I then went on to pick up Da Capo and oddly enough Out Here before bumping in to Forever Changes the next year.

It's extremely odd, thinking that I wanted to become a professional musician mainly because of my love and admiration for both LOVE and The Jimi Hendrix Experience - odd that I would end up working many years later with both Arthur Lee and Noel Redding !

Free the bands !
Merlyn Merlot Posted - 04/07/2007 : 21:47:03
quote:
Originally posted by Merlyn Merlot

In the fall of 1966
when I had just started jr. High School in Las Vegas Nev. No less
I walled with my friends Eddy Gilbert Herch and Greg Penny
to Jim Marty's
the lead singer of a very cool local Band called Kentucky BlueGrass

Fresh Cream
Beatlemania and
MM

ahh Well it would of had to been 1967
and not 66
you'll 4give me if my memory seems a little Purple Hazy
Merlyn Merlot Posted - 04/07/2007 : 19:07:54
In the fall of 1966
when I had just started jr. High School in Las Vegas Nev. No less
I walled with my friends Eddy Gilbert Herch and Greg Penny
to Jim Marty's
the lead singer of a very cool local Band called Kentucky BlueGrass

Fresh Cream
Beatlemania and Beach Boys were a long ways off in my re view mirror.

Message To Pretty always Blew my young mind
and the entire record seemed to say
we are not your British invasion
we are the next thing

when De Capo came Out
i thought
Wow now they've gotten Better
and have the nerve to put Revelations for most of the 2nd side! And Stephanie Know Who had this cool different Time Signature Swagger that could not proper me for the Onslaught Mind-blow of
7 and 7 is

well flash forward
a year or so
and in the back seat of a Car
Alone Again Or comes on the Fm Radio.
It was the singe most beautiful song ever

and where I didn't make the Love connection at first
(Way too caught up in the magic of the moment
since that day
I've never Looked Back.

Endless Appreciation to all that is Love and this extended family

Happy Intopundace day
MM
watchinallthapeople Posted - 04/07/2007 : 16:55:53
My folks were fans before i was born so I would have first heard them before any of my first memories begin. i remember listening to blue lines by massive attack for the first time and having a real deja vu type feeling about the song "be thankful", I tracked down the original but it didn't seem familiar. A few years ago I bought reel to real on vinyl and heard arthurs version of be thankful and it was like thats were i know it from. Turns out my folks used to play a tape of real to real in the car when i was a kid.
ALLANAGAIN Posted - 30/06/2007 : 00:06:00
Hi Scully,,yeah, i,m ever gratefull to have heard F.C. for the 1st.time tripping..it was just SO different from everything else i,d heard, and it sounde like the guitar was right tgere in the room with you!! As for lyrics..well, you know the score!
Forever Changes is still the most Psychedelic album of them all to me, life,love ,death,war..so many subjects covered in one album, strrets ahead of Sargent Peppers.
I loved those acid days.
KEEP THE FAITH
Allan
scully Posted - 25/06/2007 : 17:46:20
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

I first heard Love Forever Changes on an Acid trip with my freinds older brother and his mates, Four Sail was next and then love revisited became the 1st Love album i owned. Up untill that night in 1977 i thought Jimi,s "Are You Experienced" was the peak of Psychedelia..but LOVE took me to a whole other level.
HAPPY DAZE
Allan

Wow - hearing FC for the first time while tripping must have been amazing... I'd heard it straight first, but many times afterwards!
jayson_valentine Posted - 24/06/2007 : 05:07:26
I first discovered the Forever Changes LP in a stack of CDs gaven to me by my mother. I played it on my stereo and I could barely hear MacClean's timeless opening riff, so I cranked my stero and then the next thing I knew was surrounded by some of the most beautiful music I had ever heard. Everything to me was perfectly composed, the acoustic-laden rythms, the melodic lead bass lines, the unique drum beats, the omnious orchestrations. It was like every style of good music geniusly combinded into something new and extraordinary. But what appealed to me the most was Arthur Lee's voice and lyrics. He was a true genius.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page