Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Love" The first Interacial combo"?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
otis robb Posted - 12/10/2004 : 23:26:48
Not Actually, the first one would have to be the band in which STELLER FLEETWOOD MAC GUITARIST/SINGER/SONGWRITER BOB WELCH was in called Ivory Hudson and the Harlequins which shortly after re-christened themselves, 'The 7 Souls' Interestingly, too in a showcase they were beat out by SLY AND THE FAMILY STONE for the 'gig'
As for as i know, there is some singles floating about on the band, but more or less regionally in the L.A. area. Till the next...
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JeffNYC Posted - 13/10/2004 : 23:04:58
I was thinking Del Vikings also. (Did you see them on one of those PBS Doowop specials....great.)
Early in the 60's era there's Butterfield Blues band of course, The Rising Sons (Ry Cooder & Taj Mahal)
otis robb Posted - 13/10/2004 : 16:34:29
Gordo: you spoke of 'relunctance' of record companies to sign on such acts. How about the attitude, that if looks a certain color than we gotta go that way. Example- Im very good friends with the guys of MANDRILL. RIC LOU CARLO and WOLF WILSON are originallly from PANAMA though their first bassist Fudgie Kae was from the US- Brooklyn. Now when they started out in 1970, Polydor was shooting them out to to the rock crowd, but to the r&b sector, latin and other audiences as well. That all changed by the time their 3rd album came out. The newly developed 'Black A&R' dept said lets go full fledge with the Black audience. According to Ric and Lou, they lost all the other audiences they had built up to that point. From that point forward, thats all who knew about them.
Sure they left Polydor to go to United Artists (same garbage) AND THEN to Arista (fill in the blanks) Thats why they have their own label today!
gordo Posted - 13/10/2004 : 15:05:05
in terms of multi-national multi-racial bands. UK band The Equals must rank as the first succesful bands with 2 of their members being immigrants from the Caribean. Formed in 1965, they went on to have a massive hit in Europe with 'Baby Come Back' in 1968 and it also reached the US top 40.

There were however many multi-racial bands in London in the late 50's and early 60's who never made it due to record companies being reluctant to sign such acts.

Did any of the members of any of the multi-racial US bands come from outside the US?
otis robb Posted - 13/10/2004 : 14:55:31
CONRAD: If You want to please include CHICO HAMILTON DEXTER GORDON
COLEMAN HAWKINS BENNY CARTER of course DUKE ELLINGTON and countless other jazz folk, and Im not talkin about all the brothas wh0o became ex-patriates who formed combos/recorded as such either, but the point is/was The first inter-racial band in the L.A. area. Yes as for the others CROPPER in Booker T. and all that. Every local had their brothas/others. Flexing is not the name of the game....Everybody gotta live....till the next
Allan Posted - 13/10/2004 : 13:20:59
otis robb-Thank you for the correction. I didn't know that Ivory Hudson and the Harlequins pre-dated EF and LOVE. I used to listen to 'Groovin is Easy' and 'Over-loving you' so much back then

Ben and Conrad Conrad...of course you're both correct. I remember several integrated doo-wop or rock and roll groups from the 50's and early 60's. I just don't remember their names LOL. Music didn't mean very much for me until The Beatles and the British Invasion
Conrad Conrad Posted - 13/10/2004 : 11:11:34
Let's see, Charlie Christian recorded & performed with the Benny Goodman Quintet in the 40s & I believe Eddie Lang worked in integrated groups in the 30s. As far as rock groups, weren't the Del Vikings integrated? And let's not forget the immortal Pyramids, the integrated shaved headed surf band from the early 60s. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody from Love had shared a stage with them back before Love.

Conrad
Ben Posted - 13/10/2004 : 10:16:31
er what about Booker T and the MGs?
otis robb Posted - 13/10/2004 : 05:02:52
Allan - The beginning of The Flag was a little after Bob Welch's ensemble and Love. Interestingly so they(EF) fell apart after the first record (drugs and such) leaving Buddy Miles to front it.
Then Buddy started the Buddy Miles Express in early 68 that lead to...you should know by now....till the next
Allan Posted - 13/10/2004 : 02:33:04
The first inter-racial group that I remember was The Electric Flag (Mike Bloomfield, Buddy Miles, Nick Gravenites, Herbie Rich, etc). They were a 60's LA band about the same time as Buffalo Springfield and they did the soundtrack on the film 'The Trip', where they went by the name 'An American Music Band'.
otis robb Posted - 12/10/2004 : 23:50:45
Should have clarified, when I meant 'gig' that meant a major record deal with CBS. EVerybody Gotta Live...

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page