Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Favorite version of 'Signed D.C.'

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
otis robb Posted - 12/10/2004 : 03:59:20
Okay ill shut up for now, but I really thought the version from the double disc, 'Out Here' was far superior to the first one. Very gritty/down home blues sounding and of course the length.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
otis robb Posted - 15/10/2004 : 02:34:52
Conrad Conrad: went back thru some previous postings and glad to know there is someone beside myself that appreciates The Out Here version of Signed DC. The last three albums were critically ignored by many - too bad!!! (Its as if Love only important for the first three albums and thats it!) I have both the Cd and album copies (Album is still in very good shape. I remember paying like $1.49 for it at a record store in New Jersey around 1978!!!)
otis robb Posted - 13/10/2004 : 16:13:04
Gordo: Im not disagreeing with you why MR. LEE didnt care for this version. Thought it amazes how artists do something and bitch about it later on. Just dont in the first place! As for sounding Hendrix-like, cmon bro, this is delta blues all the way live! Its sad and shameful that many black folks dont wish to ASSOCIATE themselves with this. Where do you think the roots of their music have originated from? Its as if THE MIDDLE PASSAGE, slave songs, the drum,etc never existed in the first place. Ironically, they will complain how the 'white man' stole their music and is making tons of money from it, but have a different slant when success comes from that direction- 'Mr. Whitey ! Good example is VERNON REID of LIVING COLOUR, bitching about Jagger and Richards ripping off all the blues people and such, but when Jagger got them on their 81 tour, what a 360 tune then!!!!! Another one is BILLY COX, life is only now TOMMY SHANNON and CHRIS LAYTON ,but had a different version of that when he and Hendrix were at Ft. Campbell in the early 60's(near here)
Another point is that in the black community, in general, (I have brought this up in another post) dont know who Arthur Lee is. Yeah, the blame, in part, goes toward the p.d's in radio (I should know, Im involved with an urban radio station here who never played AL until, let alone knew his name. When I became a part of the Chris Larson show, that airs on Saturdays, guess what we played for the first time!)
BLack Radio has all but ignore Love or any of his solo releases. WBLS in New York, never from what I remember, played him. I know I tried requesting various songs to their chagrin. (as if i was requesting something by the FUGS!!!) But on the flip side, I feel goes all the way back to Loves' days on ELEKTRA. With company like the Doors, IGGY AND THE STOOGES, RHINCEROS, etc, how could the a&r people WANT to see it differently? There are so many variables in the mix, that its quite, well you fill in the blank!
I dont have the re-release of 'Out Here'(cd) which obvious has recent liner notes from AL. (I have the original BLUE THUMB release on vinyl and an MCA 'affiliated' version of it on cd with zip info except a song listing and the 'shootout scene' from the gatefold original) What is his take on this? I suspect something differently. (Most likely this wont be brought up.) And is not just 'one of those things that slipped thru the cracks either'
Please, by all means, dig out the insert, I'll say no mo' until you post its content...till the next
gordo Posted - 13/10/2004 : 11:11:23
Tomorrow, I'll find the sleeve notes from the Out There cd re-issue where Arthur explains why he re-did it and why he wished he hadn't.
otis robb Posted - 13/10/2004 : 05:07:49
I havent seen any of the shows, and I BELIEVE everyone who says Signed DC smoked! But, Im referring to the two studio versions by LOVE exclusively. As for Arthur's take, well then why did you record it a second time?
bob f. Posted - 13/10/2004 : 03:34:20
well, i still like the original LOVE release version. best live version would probably be at the Aquarious Theater, hollywood, '66, the only number i remember at that show.the rest is a fog! but recently, at the otherwise dissapointing UCLA ROYCE HALL show 5-2003, LEE soared, and thrilled us with a really mind bending performance of it! the greatest harp stuff i ever heard him do. right to the soul of all in the hall.
otis robb Posted - 12/10/2004 : 23:10:59
AFternoon tea with the first (three albums of Love)? Curious how much of the bluesmen are you familar with? Okay from a musical perspective, technically and all, what is wrong with the out Here version. Hip Hop? There is enough that going around like the plague.
Lizzyb Posted - 12/10/2004 : 21:51:44
I'm with Gordo

It'a always a highlight of the live shows - just look at a few of the reviews

come to think of it, it's a good example of a song which can perform well in very different styles -

i can even imagine a ska version. hip hop anyone?

Keep on shining
otis robb Posted - 12/10/2004 : 20:19:35
Gordo: Hendrix? Yeah I know many LOVE fans are stuck with the first three albums and thats it! Never knew HENDRIX used harmonica on any of his songs either? Ooops! Still say the Out Here one is still superior, still very earthy and grittier while the first one is very underproduced!, period! Till the next
gordo Posted - 12/10/2004 : 12:43:17
I'm with Arthur's view on this one. The Out Here version tries too hard to sound like Jimi Hendrix.

When he does it live it's a happy medium between the 2 versions and the length is impressive too

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page