Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Forever Changes Review at Amazon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hypnotised Dog Posted - 10/10/2004 : 05:46:50
There have been many great things said about Forever Changes but I came across this unique review at Amazon. Thought I share it with you:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Forever Changes Forever!, May 3, 2004
Reviewer: A music fan

Instead of reviewing this album directly, something which the majority of contributers here have done magnificiently, I will attempt to highlight why it deserves its place as my all-time number one album by briefly commenting on some of its peers. Please note that I am in no way slamming these other great albums .. I deeply enjoy them but they just fall short when compared to Forever Changes:

Sgt Pepper's - The one that started off as an all-time favourite. Its strength lies in its seemingly conceptual nature and progressive production techniques. However, just as the Beatles hid under the guise of Sgt. Pepper's Band, the album didn't portray their innermost selves and hence suffered as a result of not having enough depth. If only they had followed their initial decision to write an album of songs about their childhood and included Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane.

Revolver - The album that most critics prefer now (used to be Sgt Pepper's). It is an eclectic collection of styles and is a treasure trove of great songs. Alas, believe me when I say that they should have stretched this into a double album (just imagine including all the songs of Rubber Soul (omitting What Goes On and Run For Your Life) and the four songs that were singles at that time (Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out and Paperback Writer/Rain) and they would have the best (double) album of all time (they tried the double with the White Album but it had several weak tracks, most notably Revolution 9).

Pet Sounds - Brian Wilson's masterpiece could have been the greatest if he didn't bow to the pressure from the label to include the previously released hit single Sloop John B. This track does not belong in Pet Sounds; it was not written by Brian and it does not share the same melancholy of the other tracks (even the two instrumentals fare much better). What a miss!

Highway 61 Revisited - A much more consistent album than its successor, the double Blonde On Blonde. This one rocks hard and is a great listen from start to finish; it's great for the mind and feet but lacking a little of heart.

Dark Side Of The Moon - The progressive album with phenomenal sales and recognition that Forever Changes should have had. Frankly, there isn't much to fault with this album. It is near perfect in its production as well as in its subject matter of alienation and mental disorder; the title says it all but not all of the human condition is from the Dark Side.

Rumours - This one wins over the listeners more than it does the critics; to most of the latter, anything that commercially successful has got to be frowned upon. I do think that it is a great collection of songs inspired by the real life romantic liaisons within the band. Like Dark Side Of The Moon, it just focuses on one aspect of the human condition.

Well, these are some of the widely acknowledged great albums .. if you haven't gathered, I value consistency, unity, and variety in an album. If an album is unified enough (along a single theme or concept), it doesn't need to be too long (a single album will suffice); if it is eclectic, it would be better served by being a double album. The album also has to affect all aspects of my being; mind, body and soul (or heart). That is why Forever Changes rules forever! That is also why, as other reviewers have pointed out, the album should be heard without the bonus tracks (good as some of them are) in one sitting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 11/10/2004 : 02:28:10
Thank - You for that.
Forever Changes IS THE GREATEST ALBUM.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page