Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Burial-Forrest Lawn-Hollywood Hills Cemetery LA

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 09/08/2006 : 17:31:22
Is anyone going on the board to the burial?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
miss mercy Posted - 16/08/2006 : 18:29:53
This was a heart breaking experience I gave a little speech, saw people I knew with Arthur,Still am going through would have should have could have Miss Mercy
miss mercy Posted - 16/08/2006 : 18:27:57
This was a heart breaking experience I gave a little speech, saw people I knew with Arthur,Still am going through would have should have could have Miss Mercy
MikeP Posted - 15/08/2006 : 02:47:10
EXACTLY. Nothing more needs to be said. Nor should be.
LeeRob Posted - 14/08/2006 : 20:52:33
Thenewguy,
Thank you!
Truer words have never been spoken.

amen and AMEN!

Lee
kdion11 Posted - 14/08/2006 : 20:20:35
quote:
Originally posted by John E

Hi Gill,
I was going to say exactly the same thing thing about Michael's post, but you said it first. I'm personally so happy that Love were able to remain forever a cult band. Love, John E

KD: My own 2 cents ? LOVE were the ULTIMATE (!) cult band.
No one touches them
thenewguy Posted - 14/08/2006 : 19:54:45
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Body

Went to Arthur Lee's Homegoing today (Saturday August 12). Somehow in my mind that sounds better than a funeral. Anyway the weather was steaming and the little chapel was filled with family, friends and fans. The casket was upfront with his trade mark top hat sitting on top of it, surrounded by various pictures of Arthur in his glory. The preacher made a few remarks and then Arthur's guitarist from Memphis did a beautiful version of "Andmoreagain", she did a great job and got a well deserved round of applause. it was quite emotional. More talk from the preacher and then it was time for remarks from people who knew Arthur from childhood, some of the memories were real funny, some were so Arthur, see he was Arthur even then. One guy remembered Arthur's mother being beautiful like a movie star and a maker of great biscuits. Vince a long time musical buddy, sort of rambled but you could tell his heart was into it. Miss Mercy from the GTOS came up and spoke about the wild and crazy side of Arthur, that needed to be heard too. Leon Hendrix, Jimi's brother spoke about how Arthur encouraged him to play guitar. Johnny Echols came out and spoke of a friendship that spanned a lifetime, you could tell that he was broken up. It was good to see the cats from Baby Lemonade there. The Preacher came out again and told a joke that was pretty funny about how Arthur always landed on his feet. Arthur's manager came on and read a letter from Diane Lee and the letter said how much he loved everyone especially the cats in Baby Lemonade.

Actually, Arthur singled Mike Randle out, by name, a few times, referencing a book that he had wanted to give to Mike. As I recollect that was the only really personal reachout Arthur gave, through, Diane. I think it says a lot about the relationship between those two men, and if Arthur felt that way, it's time some of you here let it go too...
Paul Body Posted - 14/08/2006 : 06:03:05
Went to Arthur Lee's Homegoing today (Saturday August 12). Somehow in my mind that sounds better than a funeral. Anyway the weather was steaming and the little chapel was filled with family, friends and fans. The casket was upfront with his trade mark top hat sitting on top of it, surrounded by various pictures of Arthur in his glory. The preacher made a few remarks and then Arthur's guitarist from Memphis did a beautiful version of "Andmoreagain", she did a great job and got a well deserved round of applause. it was quite emotional. More talk from the preacher and then it was time for remarks from people who knew Arthur from childhood, some of the memories were real funny, some were so Arthur, see he was Arthur even then. One guy remembered Arthur's mother being beautiful like a movie star and a maker of great biscuits. Vince a long time musical buddy, sort of rambled but you could tell his heart was into it. Miss Mercy from the GTOS came up and spoke about the wild and crazy side of Arthur, that needed to be heard too. Leon Hendrix, Jimi's brother spoke about how Arthur encouraged him to play guitar. Johnny Echols came out and spoke of a friendship that spanned a lifetime, you could tell that he was broken up. It was good to see the cats from Baby Lemonade there. The Preacher came out again and told a joke that was pretty funny about how Arthur always landed on his feet. Arthur's manager came on and read a letter from Diane Lee and the letter said how much he loved everyone especially the cats in Baby Lemonade. After the the services were over, we filed out to follow Arthur up the hill to be buried. Doves were released as the casket was lowered and the first dove representing Arthur was kind of stubborn. HOW FITTING. It finally took off and the others followed. As I was walking back to my car, I spied the lawyer who got Arthur out of jail, I thanked him and shook his hand. He and his son, James looked totally devasted bu the whole affair. After the burial there was a little get together at Lucy's El Adobe, I guess Arthur had been there many times in the past 40 years. Here is what Lucy had to say about Arthur.

"Arthur Lee was our friend
actually he was part of
Lucy's Al Adobe family
We were blessed to be part
of brief life
for over 40 years

We will miss his sweet, sweet smile
his gentle soft voice
and especially his loving heart

When look at the night sky,
we will see him, he will be
the brightest, twinkling star smiling
at us from God's great heaven

Adios querido Arthur
Always in our hearts

Lucy y Patty Casado

Augosto 2006

Well folks that about says it all. Bryan Maclean's mother Elizabeth and Michael Stuart-Ware were at the funeral but didn't make it to Lucy's.

Let Arthur have the last words

"GOTTA GO BUT I'LL SEE YOU AGAIN"

jazmaan Posted - 13/08/2006 : 19:33:38
It was indeed a lovely, fitting and touching send-off. Without going into too many details, I just have to comment on the fact that the church had a high arch over the podium where a quote from Jesus was permanently inscribed in gold leaf lettering:

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another"

As you all know, Arthur ended each show on his last tour with those very words "Love One Another"!

John E Posted - 13/08/2006 : 17:32:20
Nice message about Arthur's service yesterday from Nelson on the www.brianwilson.com message board - "It was beautiful and Understated"
(I'm pretty certain this is Nelson Bragg from Brian Wilson's band)
Love, John E
Fritz Posted - 13/08/2006 : 16:07:29
Thank you for printing the information on the funeral service, Torben. Interesting that Arthur's father played in the Jimmie Lunceford orchestra.
torben Posted - 13/08/2006 : 13:25:20
http://love.torbenskott.dk/lee_burial.asp
Kula John Posted - 13/08/2006 : 11:51:34
quote:
Originally posted by myoungish

This post really hits home as to the finality of it all. It's hard to believe that Arthur Lee is really gone! I think his death affects us especially hard because we all have a very personal and unique and even mystical connection to his music. We were miners who individually discovered this pot of cosmic gold that most of the world was oblivious to, which made it all the more alluring and vital.

I really feel that with Love, you either get it or you don't. I've introduced their music to quite a few people, but I'd say only a handful got the Love flash and became hardcore fans. And personally, that's the way I like it. They were not meant for mass consumption. A song like Your Mind And We Belong Together is no Satisfaction or Stairway to Heaven. It's pure and complicated and profound and damaged and mysterious psychedelica at it's most epic and bewitching.

I'm only 34, and I don't have any allegience or nostalgia for any particular era in rock music, but I can comfortably say that nothing will touch these ears that's as brilliant and mindblowing as the first incarnation of Love and Arthur Lee.

Michael Young

Great post michael, you do sum it up perfectly there. Whats so special about love to me is that i really dont know anyone else (i.e friends, family, etc) who like Love or have even heard of love and as you say i've tried to introduce love's music to people close to me but many don't take to it or perhaps just don't understand it if you know what i mean. This is why love's music has always felt so personal to me.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 13/08/2006 : 02:28:26
quote:
Originally posted by notsam

I attended the funeral today. Not the usual, but very touching nice service. I wanted to take a picture of the casket w/ the hat on top and several enlarged pictures on easels. Out of respect, I didn't. I have the {for want of a better word} program. Someone tell me how to post it, and I will.
Recieved my remaster of album#1 when I got home. Listening to that now. I'm sad.

Thanks notsam for going, I wish I could have gone.
Apropos of what Gill was doin, I had a candle burning all day today
in memory of The Great One.
notsam Posted - 13/08/2006 : 01:04:19
I attended the funeral today. Not the usual, but very touching nice service. I wanted to take a picture of the casket w/ the hat on top and several enlarged pictures on easels. Out of respect, I didn't. I have the {for want of a better word} program. Someone tell me how to post it, and I will.
Recieved my remaster of album#1 when I got home. Listening to that now. I'm sad.
John E Posted - 12/08/2006 : 14:19:30
Hi Gill,
I was going to say exactly the same thing thing about Michael's post, but you said it first. I'm personally so happy that Love were able to remain forever a cult band. Imagine hearing their records in supermarkets all the time and paying £85 to get a half-good seat in a stadium...unthinkable! We can also thank Baby Lemonade and Mike especially for their friendly and open approach to the fans. I think
this helped to create a situation where many of us were lucky enough
to have some personal contact with Arthur. Meanwhile the music itself never changes, in that it remains as vital and timeless as ever.
Love, John E

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page