Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Arthur's Funeral notice from Memphis paper

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Auldmucker Posted - 09/08/2006 : 14:31:21
His service was yesterday in Memphis it seems. Thought you all would be interested to see this from today's (Wed.) Memphis Commercial Appeal:Arthur Lee
ARTHUR LEE, 61, of Memphis, musician, died August 3, 2006 at Methodist University Hospital. A Memorial service was held on Tuesday, August 8, at N.H. Owens & Son Funeral Home. Burial in Forrest Lawn-Hollywood Hills Cemetery in Los Angeles, CA. He leaves his wife, Diane Skorman Lee and many cousins and friends. N.H. Owens & Son Funeral Home
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gill Posted - 11/08/2006 : 17:06:03
Hello Lizzy and Tina - Hope you have a good time together over the weekend. I'm sure there will be lots of Love music and memories going on - have a drink for me!

I'm still trying to get my head around it all.

Love
Gill
Ainsley Posted - 11/08/2006 : 15:55:00
Hello all. Does anyone know the time of the LA funeral? A few of us in Southampton would like to think of Arthur at that time. Ainsley

Ainsley
Lizzyb Posted - 10/08/2006 : 00:09:45
tins - not a pet name, more a mis-type, it's late and I need to pack my stuff...

Keep on shining
Lizzyb Posted - 10/08/2006 : 00:08:20
Blimey Tina - you've always been my memory

Thanks John E For the kind words. I'm fine, fingers crossed etc, but they were positive at the hospital today.

I'm visiting Tins tomorrow til sunday, so on Saturday we'll be thinking of those who are attending the funeral proper in LA. very sad times.

I think it's only just starting to hit me properly now.
John E Posted - 09/08/2006 : 23:58:21
Greetings Lizzy B,
Good to see you on here. I was just saying to someone the other day (maybe Dukie) that it's great that things seem to be going well for you now. I remember particularly the time that I met up with you and Tina in Sheffield. Love, John E
Tina Posted - 09/08/2006 : 23:34:12
http://love.torbenskott.dk/tour2003/20030701_nottingham.asp

No, he was called Pierre Spake!
Lizzyb Posted - 09/08/2006 : 23:29:48
was that Pierre (who wrote the review in Independent) the Pierre we met in Nottingham before the show when Arthur started with an accoustic blues song? I wonder

Keep on shining
Auldmucker Posted - 09/08/2006 : 22:40:17
The post I made this morning was just a funeral notice. The Memphis paper had a more lengthy article on Sat. I live in Memphis and have to tell you that Arthur was not well known in this town even though he was born here. He had ,after all, probably only spent the first five years of his life and the last one in Memphis.I take pride that he was from here, though and so do others who are aware of him.Here is the article from the Sat. Commercial Appeal. The notification of his demise came too late for Fri.'s edition: Arthur Lee, singer and songwriter for the 1960s psychedelic band Love, died Thursday at Methodist University Hospital after a battle with leukemia. He was 61.
Lee formed Love in Los Angeles, and the group was signed to the newly formed Elektra label to release their self-titled debut album in 1966.

The band's most well-known album, Forever Changes, released in 1968, is considered a classic of the '60s rock era.
Lee was born in Memphis and returned to the city last summer after the death of his mother and aunt left their Memphis home vacant.

There was talk of performing and recording, but Lee hadn't written much since he was diagnosed in February. "I don't want to fill my head with music I can't do anything about," he explained from his hospital bed in May, when he started chemotherapy.

Lee became the first adult in the state to undergo a bone marrow transplant using stem cells from an umbilical cord.

Until then, such transplants in Tennessee involved children being treated at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Lee had not left the hospital since the transplant, said Ruth Ann Hale, hospital spokeswoman.

"His death comes as a shock to me because Arthur had the uncanny ability to bounce back from everything, and leukemia was no exception," said Mark Linn, Lee's manager.

Before his diagnosis, Lee was performing original Love songs in Europe and the United States, backed by the local L.A. group, Baby Lemonade.

"He was confident that he would be back on stage by the fall," Linn said.

A benefit concert for him was held in New York in June headlined by former Led Zeppelin singer Robert Plant in order to raise money for his treatment.

"But for this disease I never would have known I was loved this much," Lee said from his hospital bed in May.

"He was truly grateful for the outpouring of love from his friends and fans all over the world since news of his illness became public," Linn said.

He is survived by his wife, Diane, a woman he married recently -- his first marriage -- after knowing her 35 years.

Rob Posted - 09/08/2006 : 20:02:47
The Independent newspaper printed Arthur's obituary on 05 Aug 2006. It was written by Pierre Perrone. You can read it on their website at www.independent.co.uk Search for "Arthur Lee" (obviously). Much more was said in this article.
Rob.
veryoldman Posted - 09/08/2006 : 17:39:12
So very little said for so much done and so much meaning to us all.

Shine brightly AL and we'll see you on the moon.

veryoldman

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page