Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 Anything Else
 Pats vs Bucks in UK next weekend....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 19/10/2009 : 06:15:32
80,000 tickets sold in 6 minutes for the game. Do the Brits like American football or what?!

SO Brady throws 5 touchdown passes in one quarter today in a
snowstorm, a record...& win 59-0....he's baaack....you are in for
a show next Sunday.

You know the Patriots are my team!!

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 27/10/2009 : 17:09:18
oh yeah....I remember that one..that's a tough one for the Bosox!
lemonade kid Posted - 27/10/2009 : 16:52:01
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know on my bulletin board here at work I have the lineups of that famous game in '60 between the Pirates and the Yanks..that's when Mazeroski hit his famous homer! We all died a 1000 deaths in the classroom!!! It's interesting that I remember that game as well as when Kennedy was killed in Dallas. Both are in my memory as if they happeend yesterday. I'm sure many here have the same kind of memories when it comes to the Series.

lk..right...just "baseball"..no ratings etc etc etc just the game and the great drama. Maybe maybe the Yanks and Phils will keep it up...should be a good one they say!

Bill Buckner's infamous fielding error...a day that will live in Red Sox infamy forever...though unfair to Buckner...Sox were going down anyway!

--william saroyan
rocker Posted - 27/10/2009 : 13:25:38
You know on my bulletin board here at work I have the lineups of that famous game in '60 between the Pirates and the Yanks..that's when Mazeroski hit his famous homer! We all died a 1000 deaths in the classroom!!! It's interesting that I remember that game as well as when Kennedy was killed in Dallas. Both are in my memory as if they happeend yesterday. I'm sure many here have the same kind of memories when it comes to the Series.

lk..right...just "baseball"..no ratings etc etc etc just the game and the great drama. Maybe maybe the Yanks and Phils will keep it up...should be a good one they say!
lemonade kid Posted - 26/10/2009 : 21:56:29
>>Rocker...I remember friends with their transistors in the school hallways between classes....catching what scores and game we could. It wasn't about ratings and prime time $$$...it was about baseball.

>>Hey 'ol man..a piece of history, the Yankees and Red Sox...too bad in a way, though they did a great job with the new ballpark, that you missed being at the old Yankee Stadium. I don't think Bostonians will ever let them knock down Fenway Park! It will have to fall down on its own!

Yankees are the team to beat this year...we'll see.

--william saroyan
Old_Man Posted - 26/10/2009 : 21:34:07
While I was in NYC in August the Red Sox were playing at Yankee Stadium 4 of the 7 days that I was there (I think the Yankees won it 4-0). The other 3 days it was the Blue Jays. I tried but couldn't get tickets for a sox game, as rare as hens teeth someone said! So it was a Blue Jays game for me, and the Yankees lost! Nevertheless is was a fantastic experience being there.
rocker Posted - 26/10/2009 : 21:29:05
Here's hoping we have a great World Series to watch...I know I'm dating myself but I remember hearing those WS games only on radio but then they brought a tv in for us to watch it..... during the school day no less. oh Baseball Bliss!!!
lemonade kid Posted - 26/10/2009 : 16:57:58
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know if you think about it old cricket and baseball are anacronisms for our mdoern age. They're "agricultural" games with lawns and green and sand mounds man! And relatively speaking to those "other" sports like football and "soccer" they are S.....l....o....w......

and lk I see your nemesis is in the World Series now!.... you know for some around here they're just like those "hated" mancs (manchester united)!!

Red Sox-Yankees is the best rivalry in baseball and every Yank/Sox fan will tell you so.
It just isn't the same if they aren't in it for the pennant race every year. My friend is a Yankee fan, but we are not crazy like some fans...if the Yanks are in the World Series, I pull for them, and the other way around. American League all the way!

--william saroyan
rocker Posted - 26/10/2009 : 13:33:29
You know if you think about it old cricket and baseball are anacronisms for our mdoern age. They're "agricultural" games with lawns and green and sand mounds man! And relatively speaking to those "other" sports like football and "soccer" they are S.....l....o....w......

and lk I see your nemesis is in the World Series now!.... you know for some around here they're just like those "hated" mancs (manchester united)!!
caryne Posted - 19/10/2009 : 19:58:32
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

I think every one likes their team to win....you must also... Americans can appreciate a well fought loss as much as any and admire an opponents win. Winning isn't everything.....it will take a while for the World to get over the Bush era American stereo-type of a block headed fool that is proud of not reading books, relying on his gut to govern (whoa, now that's scary), and never admitting defeat.....

..... so you may be lumping all Americans in to one type & even if you know quite a few Americans, you don't know all of them, just as I don't know all of you fine Brits.....

Just as I don't believe all Brits have a droll sense of humor, all Americans aren't obsessed with winning. Thankfully we are all are own persons and I was being droll about soccer to make a point.

I think Americans proved we are not all block-headed ulta-conservatives when we put Obama in office. There is hope for us all......

--william saroyan

I don't have a 'team' which is why, I guess, I don't care who wins and just prefer a good game.. of whatever it is.

My previous post did refer to 'many Americans' not all, sorry if you felt offended by it as I know you and many other wonderful Americans who do not fit that stereotype you refer to. I guess I was also thinking of the fact that cricket has never really taken off in the US either and, from many comments I have heard/read from many places it is usually said it is because it is too slow. And, after all LK, it was you, not me, who implied our football was dull because you often get 0-0 draws!!!
lemonade kid Posted - 19/10/2009 : 18:29:21
I think every one likes their team to win....you must also... Americans can appreciate a well fought loss as much as any and admire an opponents win. Winning isn't everything.....it will take a while for the World to get over the Bush era American stereo-type of a block headed fool that is proud of not reading books, relying on his gut to govern (whoa, now that's scary), and never admitting defeat.....

..... so you may be lumping all Americans in to one type & even if you know quite a few Americans, you don't know all of them, just as I don't know all of you fine Brits.....

Just as I don't believe all Brits have a droll sense of humor, all Americans aren't obsessed with winning. Thankfully we are all are own persons and I was being droll about soccer to make a point.

I think Americans proved we are not all block-headed ulta-conservatives when we put Obama in office. There is hope for us all......

--william saroyan
caryne Posted - 19/10/2009 : 18:05:44
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Rugby is a tough sport. I had some college chums that were in a rugby league. They always came home bloodied and muddied!

Soccer can be a yawn for me....oh wow---a 0-0 tie...how exciting. Sorry, I have seen some good matches.

American football is more of a chess match, though it seems like just bunch of smashing at the line. Each team on offense and defense have hundreds of plays that each team uses to outwit the other team. The offense sets, the defense switches coverage, then offense switches around and the defense switches again & tries to match the offense.....in that way it is a battle of wits with each player trying to match their assignment, covering their guy or eluding their guy.
Managing the clock to each team advantage.

Baseball is a much more mental game between pitcher and batter. A fine ol' sport, J9! The pitcher and catcher will need to know every batter they face (hundreds of them)...what they will swing at, how to get them to swing a bad pitch, and each outfielder knowing where the batter may pull the ball. The batters need to know the pitcher, too.

Unfortunately my Red Sox are out and our annual nemesis, the Yankees, playing for the championship.

--william saroyan

LK... football (or 'soccer' as you call it) is a game of skill and a 0-0 draw can still quite easily be a wonderfully played game that is a joy to watch likewise a game with many goals may still not be that interesting. The difference between Americans and the British with sport seems to be that many Americans seem to think it's all about scoring and winning rather than how the game is played.
lemonade kid Posted - 19/10/2009 : 17:43:32
Rugby is a tough sport. I had some college chums that were in a rugby league. They always came home bloodied and muddied!

Soccer can be a yawn for me....oh wow---a 0-0 tie...how exciting. Sorry, I have seen some good matches.

American football is more of a chess match, though it seems like just bunch of smashing at the line. Each team on offense and defense have hundreds of plays that each team uses to outwit the other team. The offense sets, the defense switches coverage, then offense switches around and the defense switches again & tries to match the offense.....in that way it is a battle of wits with each player trying to match their assignment, covering their guy or eluding their guy.
Managing the clock to each team advantage.

Baseball is a much more mental game between pitcher and batter. A fine ol' sport, J9! The pitcher and catcher will need to know every batter they face (hundreds of them)...what they will swing at, how to get them to swing a bad pitch, and each outfielder knowing where the batter may pull the ball. The batters need to know the pitcher, too.

Unfortunately my Red Sox are out and our annual nemesis, the Yankees, playing for the championship.

--william saroyan
John9 Posted - 19/10/2009 : 15:23:46
The United States are curiously enough, the reigning Olympic Rugby Union champions......having won the title in 1920 and 1924...it's a great pub quiz question! For some reason, the sport has never been played since. I've never quite understood why as for most of the twentieth century, its amateur status suited the Olympic movement very well. As some of the soccer pundits were pointing out over the weekend, it is probably only a matter of time before the Premier League emulates the NFL and goes for the notorious 39th game. That would be ten games each season to be played in....well take your pick....Dubai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Los Angeles....there'll be no shortage of venues!
caryne Posted - 19/10/2009 : 14:52:29
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

I'm one "Brit" you've met Caryne, who likes american football. Actually I prefer baseball these days though.

I stand corrected, Old Man

However, I still can't say I've ever had any conversations with anyone I know who likes the sport, most people echo Tina's comments that's it's just a vastly interior version of Rugby
Tina Posted - 19/10/2009 : 14:37:35
I've come across plenty of people in the UK who like American Football,and the son of some friends of ours is a player. However, in my view its vastly inferior to Rugby!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page