Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 Anything Else
 Like movies, let's share your reading......

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rocker Posted - 10/01/2009 : 17:59:28
Right now, I'm into "Quarrel With the King". A look at a family's relationship with power and loyalty to the King of England through the centuries. Now I know why you guys over in England had a Civil War!......have to say you guys have some great history...
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 03/02/2010 : 20:41:32
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

what can you do? The Puritans still made their preence felt.....

Yep. Go to your book store....get you rbooks. They weren't on my English Lit reading list, but I read 'em anyway.

rocker Posted - 03/02/2010 : 17:31:28
what can you do? The Puritans still made their preence felt.....
lemonade kid Posted - 02/02/2010 : 16:43:25
quote:

You know is till have my copy from English class!....Think I'll read it over again after all the water under the brdge.....nice to get a little wildlife in my life thinking about where the ducks go in the winter...

Try to find an English class that has that on its reading list!
Likely on their secret banned book list.
Anne Frank's Diary was just banned (in Virginia, I believe) for sexual content!

rocker Posted - 02/02/2010 : 14:20:23
You know is till have my copy from English class!....Think I'll read it over again after all the water under the brdge.....nice to get a little wildlife in my life thinking about where the ducks go in the winter...
lemonade kid Posted - 01/02/2010 : 16:31:30
quote:

I see the reclusive JD Salinger has died. He wrote "The Catcher in the Rye". No doubt some of you have read this one about all the "phonies" out there!

Didn't we all...back in middle school(junior high we called it!)
when we read "Catcher In The Rye","Catch 22", "Trout Fishing In America"
"Cat's Cradle"...I think those books helped to form our rock and roll souls...

...and in our parents' opinion (back then)...ruined us!!!

rocker Posted - 01/02/2010 : 15:53:53
I see the reclusive JD Salinger has died. He wrote "The Catcher in the Rye". No doubt some of you have read this one about all the "phonies" out there!
lemonade kid Posted - 20/01/2010 : 21:47:42
quote:

john...I read that one..I thought it was a very good book on him...he came across as a very "lawyerly" and intelligent fellow..I'm fascinated by him ...why he resorted to killing to fulfill the Revolution's aims?..appropos for our modern era with the Jihadists..did you check out 'Danton' the film by Wajda?...excellent...

lk..nice flick...I enjoyed DeNiro acting in that one...

Thanks, even though I posted in books instead of movies!

rocker Posted - 20/01/2010 : 14:36:23
That's one of my favorite films of all time. I thought Wajda captured that raucous revolutionary time so well with his images. Frankly, I wish I knew French well so I could hear them in that language. I'v been reading some of Robes' speeches when he was in the Assembly. Man, he could sell you ice in the Arctic.....like most of those representatives they were all brilliant orators.
John9 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 08:57:03
Yes Rocker, I did see Wadja's Danton movie..again upon release when of course it had a great deal of contemporary resonance given the momentous events that had been been taking place in Poland with the Solidarity movement. I also used to show the video to classes...especially the trial scenes. The film remains my favourite Gerard Depardieu performance. Also in the early 80s, I saw at the National Theatre, Buchner's 1830s play, Danton. That was especially chilling because the Robespierre character kept patrolling the ailes with such vigilence that you thought you were going to be arrested!
rocker Posted - 19/01/2010 : 20:34:52
and I loved Mountains of the Moon..I wish it would go on blu...
rocker Posted - 19/01/2010 : 20:33:56
john...I read that one..I thought it was a very good book on him...he came across as a very "lawyerly" and intelligent fellow..I'm fascinated by him ...why he resorted to killing to fulfill the Revolution's aims?..appropos for our modern era with the Jihadists..did you check out 'Danton' the film by Wajda?...excellent...

lk..nice flick...I enjoyed DeNiro acting in that one...
lemonade kid Posted - 19/01/2010 : 19:13:40
"Once Upon A Time In America" last night...Leone's great one.

John9 Posted - 19/01/2010 : 17:01:42
Yes I saw Mountains of the Moon upon its release....yet another fine movie from Bob Rafelson...and perhaps one of the few of his that did not star Jack Nicholson. Much of it was made in and around Birkenhead.......across the Mersey from Liverpool. Apparently, Mr Rafelson took up residency there for several months.

And Robespierre, Rocker....I think he was admirable in his sincerity......but his ideas became an obsession...and that made him monstrous...and in turn I suppose that makes him fascinating to us. A former student of mine recently gave me a book about him entitled Fatal Purity(by Ruth Scurr).
rocker Posted - 19/01/2010 : 16:31:56
In a French Rev mood..picked up a book on Robespierre..kind of went off the rails with hsi revolution after a while...
rocker Posted - 11/01/2010 : 14:39:47
And if you want you can see her in "Mountains of the Moon" where she plays Richard Burton's wife (Patrick Bergin)...pretty good British film on Speke and Burton's Nile exploration .....

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page