New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  19:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Notice the Arthur Lee/Love banner here, all......good enough for me!! I was searching for more about UK-Kaleidoscope and have seen nothing but good reviews. Comparisons to Syd's Floyd are pretty appropriate....a soft reflective beautiful kind of British psych. Any one that doesn't have their debut--Tangerine Dream...go get it!!! Recorded at psychedelia's peak in 1967 along with Piper at the Gates..., Sgt Peppers, SF Sorrow, Forever Changes............Here is a nice blog....

http://psychspaniolos.blogspot.com/2008/02/kaleidoscope-tangerine-dream-1967.html

What are your favorite psych blogs for your favorite psych bands?....

Here's Kaleidoscpe's Please Excuse My Face....pretty Syd-like if you need a "push" to jump in!! In some ways more accessible than Pipers....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovAnQ_gsdMM&feature=related

Red Telephone blog has been mentioned here too...as has this subject, I believe, but I'm reviving it!! Give us a blog page with your favorite psych band reviewed for us all....

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  12:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will need to check out my Favourites at home to contribute here, but there are LOTS of good blogs dealing with psych out there.

And as for Kaleidosope, I first heard of them through the '49 minute Technicolour Dream' LP, which got a CD reissue as part of the Pebbles series. Other excellent tracks include Dream For Julie, Flight From Ashiya, In the Room of Percussion, Mr Small - oops, I am going to be listing the contents for both their albums before long. There is an excellent CD compilation out there too - Dive Into Yesterday - which has most of both the albums, plus some singles. 3rd albumWhite Faced Lady never got a contemporary release, which was a shame, as it was up with the Pretties SF Sorrow, in terms of concept album (I still rate both of these ahead of Tommy).

They then changed name to become the excellent Fairfield Parlour, whose one and only LP, 'From Home to Home' still ranks in my top 3 albums of all time. You can get it as part of a twofer with White Faced Lady, along with lots of bonus tracks, including Bordeaux Rose, which was a minor hit, though not indicative of the album at all.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  18:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Will need to check out my Favourites at home to contribute here, but there are LOTS of good blogs dealing with psych out there.

And as for Kaleidosope, I first heard of them through the '49 minute Technicolour Dream' LP, which got a CD reissue as part of the Pebbles series. Other excellent tracks include Dream For Julie, Flight From Ashiya, In the Room of Percussion, Mr Small - oops, I am going to be listing the contents for both their albums before long. There is an excellent CD compilation out there too - Dive Into Yesterday - which has most of both the albums, plus some singles. 3rd albumWhite Faced Lady never got a contemporary release, which was a shame, as it was up with the Pretties SF Sorrow, in terms of concept album (I still rate both of these ahead of Tommy).

They then changed name to become the excellent Fairfield Parlour, whose one and only LP, 'From Home to Home' still ranks in my top 3 albums of all time. You can get it as part of a twofer with White Faced Lady, along with lots of bonus tracks, including Bordeaux Rose, which was a minor hit, though not indicative of the album at all.

They are in repeat mode in the car! Better every time I listen to them...like Forever Changes..something new every time. I didn't know about them doing the White Faced Lady album.

I wanted vinyl but the Fontana releases are unattainable $$ ! & the OOP 180 gram on line is $175.

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  11:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
White Faced Lady is a real gem - a very mature album, packed with excellent songs. It initially had a vinyl only release, back in 1991, then later got issued on CD.

Unfortunately, they are one band who never it seems, showed an interest in a proper reunion, which wouldn't be possible now anyway, given that bassist Steve Clark got knocked down in 1999. The remaining members performed 'Aries' (from 'From Home to Home' and a candidate for top 5 song of all time for me) at his funeral, but that's the closest it seems they ever came to a reunion other than rerecording Bordeaux Rose quite a few years back.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  17:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

White Faced Lady is a real gem - a very mature album, packed with excellent songs. It initially had a vinyl only release, back in 1991, then later got issued on CD.

Unfortunately, they are one band who never it seems, showed an interest in a proper reunion, which wouldn't be possible now anyway, given that bassist Steve Clark got knocked down in 1999. The remaining members performed 'Aries' (from 'From Home to Home' and a candidate for top 5 song of all time for me) at his funeral, but that's the closest it seems they ever came to a reunion other than rerecording Bordeaux Rose quite a few years back.

I am searching for it now, boomer. Thanks. Now I KNOW!

Hey anyone...what's with the French?!! Whenever I'm searching online for something, no matter how common, some French shop is selling it for $300 (US), with the rest of the countries selling at $20 or 30?

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page