Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2020 :  15:27:50  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Torben and Love fans. Wanted to give an update on the book.

It's been a week since I gave an update. Since then I've been adding some final thoughts and continued editing. The date of release and preorder is still undetermined as I finish this puzzle. It's more than likely the book with be around 350 pages but no more than 400.

I've been thinking how I can explain the layout of the book best and there are some parallels with other books that tackle both the hi/story and the music in detail. You guys know some or all of these books - if you know them or of them and have seen the layouts, this one's similar but it's to cover Love's catalog instead.

Ian MacDonald - Revolution In The Head
William J. Dowlding - Beatlesongs
Simon Leng - While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Luca Perasi - Paul McCartney: Recording Sessions (1969-2013) (great book Backseat if you're reading, couple pages fell out I used it so much)
Sid Griffin - Million Dollar Bash

We know in the 33 1/3 book series, one was written for Forever Changes. This book gets into deep analysis like those books but this is a bit like getting a series of 33 1/3 books, one for each Love album. So that's how the book got fat. Like those books, after its read it can be used like a reference book. In those the songs get their backgrounds filled in with minor critical analysis (or major with MacDonald).

We're at a point in 2020 where there are enough Love releases for something that maps them out. Love and Arthur Lee had about 150+ songs, Bryan MacLean solo had almost a 100 songs, Snoopy has his album, Love Revisited has a couple of releases, and then there's all the additional live and compilation albums.

Beatlesongs and Revolution In The Head don't quite tell the story in between while Keep On Shining will connect the song dots. From Beatlesongs, I got the idea to round the Love members quotes old and new for specific songs. That way the reader gets the best rounded view between my thoughts and the band's thoughts and then from when those thoughts were conveyed with the bibliography or my interviews as sources.

So for a song entry you will see something like this (just an excerpt of a 3 page summary on "Revelation"):

7. REVELATION (18:57)
(Arthur Lee/Bryan MacLean/John Echols/Ken Forssi)

“Revelation” serves as the reflection of Da Capo filtered through an American Four lens. It harkened back to the early era yet mirrored the styles used on Da Capo. The 2nd side begins with “Revelation”, and 19 minutes later, the side ends with “Revelation”. In between, there is nothing but “Revelation”. In 1965 and 1966, rock songs were beginning to swell and items like the Butterfield Blues Band’s “East-West”, The Rolling Stones “Goin' Home”, and Bob Dylan’s “Sad-Eyed Lady of The Lowlands” were taking up chunks of their respective LP’s. But was it worth releasing it? Many fans dislike it and see this as an easier way to fill up a side without having to do work as difficult and complex as everything that was involved for the first side. Even through a major re-evaluation of the Love catalog, “Revelation” has not been treated kindly. Critics still have mixed to negative opinions about this 19-minute mix of R&B and rock, and jazz rock. Original fans and newer generations of fans have come to regard this as not the worst Love track ever, but perhaps the most frustrating and disappointing track in their catalog. Yet this Da Capo finale does cover a lot of ground with its various diversions from its R&B and blues rock base into psychedelia, jazz rock and a touch of classical on the intro and outro.

Johnny Echols:
"Normally, what we did was Arthur would leave first and then I would leave, and Bryan would play and then he would leave, and it would be Kenny and Michael, and then Tjay. Then he’d play a solo and leave the two on. Then I would come back on and then we would change the song entirely and just the four of us would play a long-extended jazz type of thing. Then Arthur would come back, then Bryan would come back on the stage. It gave everybody a chance to rest you know, it was a long, long song. The way it was kind of whacked up in the mixdown you don’t really know who’s playing.”

Bryan MacLean:
"There were a few of my songs that Arthur told me he planned to use and later rejected."

Snoopy Pfisterer:
"I actually think “Revelation” was a piece of sh--. It was a waste of a side of an album."

Arthur Lee:
"To me, it was the worst we ever played it."

Keep On Shining: A Guide Through The Music Of Love & Arthur Lee
Go to Top of Page

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2020 :  20:54:08  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone up for trivia andmoreagain?

1.By the end of the 1960s, which Love album had the most sales worldwide? [Not currently but by the end of 1969-U.S. sales?]
2. What Rock N’ Roll Hall Of Fame member did Love support on tour in 1974 besides Lou Reed?
3. On what 3 Arthur Lee songs does he ask us to ‘keep on rolling’?

Edited by - WilliamWes on 22/09/2020 21:10:41
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2020 :  15:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. WW! Can't wait...

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2020 :  17:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Revelation would be better if it were shorter. The stones had the right idea - Goin home is 12 minutes (forget what album thats off of!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  14:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably not a good idea to bring up the 33 1/3 book on Forever Changes. That book was utter rubbish. The worst in that series actually (The best was the one covering the Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn, probably, although the one on The Who (Sell Out) was just fine as I recall
Go to Top of Page

WilliamWes
First Love

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2021 :  02:03:02  Show Profile  Visit WilliamWes's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Love fans, just wanted to let everyone know I had a family illness and currently am typing with a damaged nerve in my arm which hinders me from doing much. The book is currently between 400 and 500 pages, covers every song, has been through 4 edits and now it's cleanup time to get the book ready. I don't want to issue any timetable yet as I was too optimistic last year thinking it could be completed so quickly despite its length. Thanks to those who have been patient and hello to Torben, Lemonade Kid, and yes Joe Morris, I think several readers felt that way about that book but who am I to criticize those who tried to solve the riddles in and out of Love's music when it can get complicated quickly. I will say the things I've written for analysis on all of these albums are new philosophies about Lee and Love that I haven't seen in anywhere.

Along with the two interviews I did with Michael Stuart-Ware and Justin Polimeni, the analysis is guaranteed to be thought provoking as each album twists the Love/Lee catalog and lets us into the 'Arthurly' mind.

It will also be the first book that extensively covers Bryan MacLean's career since nowhere on the internet or in publications has there been in-depth analysis of how Bryan's career took shape. The ups and downs of failed attempts at albums through the decades and then his posthumous career when his mom helped him release his acoustic songs, followed by several religious albums that Elizabeth McKee was also had a hand in issuing.

So I'm feeling confident about the content but not about when it will be released exactly. It will be completed at some point.

Thank you all for your patience and I hope you are all having a better year this year than last.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2021 :  16:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't wait, Wes! But yes, patience is a virtue...

quote:
Originally posted by WilliamWes

Hi Love fans, just wanted to let everyone know I had a family illness and currently am typing with a damaged nerve in my arm which hinders me from doing much. The book is currently between 400 and 500 pages, covers every song, has been through 4 edits and now it's cleanup time to get the book ready. I don't want to issue any timetable yet as I was too optimistic last year thinking it could be completed so quickly despite its length. Thanks to those who have been patient and hello to Torben, Lemonade Kid, and yes Joe Morris, I think several readers felt that way about that book but who am I to criticize those who tried to solve the riddles in and out of Love's music when it can get complicated quickly. I will say the things I've written for analysis on all of these albums are new philosophies about Lee and Love that I haven't seen in anywhere.

Along with the two interviews I did with Michael Stuart-Ware and Justin Polimeni, the analysis is guaranteed to be thought provoking as each album twists the Love/Lee catalog and lets us into the 'Arthurly' mind.

It will also be the first book that extensively covers Bryan MacLean's career since nowhere on the internet or in publications has there been in-depth analysis of how Bryan's career took shape. The ups and downs of failed attempts at albums through the decades and then his posthumous career when his mom helped him release his acoustic songs, followed by several religious albums that Elizabeth McKee was also had a hand in issuing.

So I'm feeling confident about the content but not about when it will be released exactly. It will be completed at some point.

Thank you all for your patience and I hope you are all having a better year this year than last.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/07/2021 16:15:57
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2021 :  15:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Close to release!

...William will be announcing the publishing date and where to order, and availability very soon!

BTW the book is 560 pages chocked full with every song...each song's recording history, and comments by LoVE members, friends, music industry associates, and much much more.

Did I say the book will cover in-depth, EVERY song ever written or recorded by Arthur, Love and Bryan?! :righton:
With background stories on each song, analysis, and more!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/11/2021 16:28:54
Go to Top of Page

Phil Hobbs
Second Love

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2021 :  16:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will this be published in the UK or just USA? I'll definitely want a copy if it's possible to get one?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2021 :  16:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Hobbs

Will this be published in the UK or just USA? I'll definitely want a copy if it's possible to get one?

It will be at Amazon USA at the least. Amazon's printing services will be printing the paperbound book. I'll talk to William to see if it will be made available at Amazon UK.

In any event it will also be there in full, photos and all, as a Kindle book.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2021 :  12:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This from William:
Hi Love fans. I'm releasing Keep On Shining very soon (December 2021). The book has a website with more info and some essays- keeponshininglovebook.com. Both the Kindle edition and paperback should be out this month.

The website!

https://www.keeponshininglovebook.com/

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/12/2021 12:59:02
Go to Top of Page

stewart
Old Love

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2021 :  01:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a quick look at the (unfinished) website. Lyrics don't seem 100% eg I see William says of the Castle 'I'm living on a boat...' whereas I thought it was 'I'm leaving on a boat..' Same with Alone Again or - William says 'And you’ll do just what you want to do' but it's clearly 'choose to do'. Baghdad spelt wrong too in discussing You I'll be Following, so disappointing lack of attention to detail......

Edited by - stewart on 14/12/2021 01:47:24
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2021 :  22:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really...minor details (edit issues) from the (as yet unfinished) web site... the BOOK deserves kudos & many readings before you dismiss it out of hand...we can save the edits for the next edited version if they are there too...it is a feat to get the almost 600 page in-depth book out to us for Christmas, and it is well worth the price of admission and the read!! The many interviews and passages that have never appeared in book form, from The Castle, liner notes and many sources, with new interviews by William with Michael, Mike, and many more make this one on LoVE a must read.

quote:
Originally posted by stewart

Had a quick look at the (unfinished) website. Lyrics don't seem 100% eg I see William says of the Castle 'I'm living on a boat...' whereas I thought it was 'I'm leaving on a boat..' Same with Alone Again or - William says 'And you’ll do just what you want to do' but it's clearly 'choose to do'. Baghdad spelt wrong too in discussing You I'll be Following, so disappointing lack of attention to detail......

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/12/2021 22:37:29
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2021 :  01:10:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said, L.K. Right there with you; I certainly couldn't have put it any better myself. This book is, to me, a tremendously incredible accomplishment on William's part; a massive undertaking that clearly required very serous effort, energy, and time on the part of the author. At 575 pages, the book is a gift to any (and all) of us who consider ourselves fans of Arthur and of Love, the band, as a whole. For myself, I see no reason or justification to quibble over what seem to be fairly minor details, be they the result of possibly either misinterpreted or misunderstood lyrics or even typos that may have slipped by unnoticed. Bottom line, I see this book as cause for celebration among we fans, and I have only the deepest gratitude and appreciation toward William for his efforts.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2022 :  21:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SignedRW

Well said, L.K. Right there with you; I certainly couldn't have put it any better myself. This book is, to me, a tremendously incredible accomplishment on William's part; a massive undertaking that clearly required very serous effort, energy, and time on the part of the author. At 575 pages, the book is a gift to any (and all) of us who consider ourselves fans of Arthur and of Love, the band, as a whole. For myself, I see no reason or justification to quibble over what seem to be fairly minor details, be they the result of possibly either misinterpreted or misunderstood lyrics or even typos that may have slipped by unnoticed. Bottom line, I see this book as cause for celebration among we fans, and I have only the deepest gratitude and appreciation toward William for his efforts.

For sure, rw! Great effort, wonderful result.

Since we have no official lyrics sheets from the Love albums... the lyrics are indeed up to interpretation and ones ear.

And I have spelt Baghdad incorrectly myself. (hmmmm...is that right?)

Edited by - lemonade kid on 02/01/2022 21:27:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page