New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2019 :  22:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well....from the first opening notes and Arthur Lee's clear and beautiful voice, it is clear that this is by far... the superior mix. What was Elektra thinking. Arthur's mix is fantastic.

I don't know the story behind this mix, but Arthur liked to say he didn't trust the record labels and held back his best from them. Always gave him his second best songs (at least in the beginning when he marched down to Capitol records by foot). Paranoid maybe. Our loss, until now.

So yeah, WOW!

I'll always treasure my first pressing Elektra vinyl, but I just may never listen to it again...

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/10/2019 14:25:06

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2019 :  20:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi LK - I've come across this page which provides some more detail. If you scroll down a little, you'll see that the same company has rereleased the other Elektra albums. Earlier this year, I bought Revisited from the same series. That one's on beautiful red vinyl with the Elektra butterfly label. If the mixes really are different, then perhaps they are the ones that Arthur did when he thought that he was recording the album for Blue Thumb - and of course six of those were included on the Love Story compilation.

https://www.relevantrecordcafe.co.uk/product/love-four-sail-2019-reissue/
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2019 :  13:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Hi LK - I've come across this page which provides some more detail. If you scroll down a little, you'll see that the same company has rereleased the other Elektra albums. Earlier this year, I bought Revisited from the same series. That one's on beautiful red vinyl with the Elektra butterfly label. If the mixes really are different, then perhaps they are the ones that Arthur did when he thought that he was recording the album for Blue Thumb - and of course six of those were included on the Love Story compilation.

https://www.relevantrecordcafe.co.uk/product/love-four-sail-2019-reissue/

Thanks, J9. Others have said that those tracks from Revisited were revived for this, and the rest are also Arthur's mixes, so definitely a must have.

On green vinyl.

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  17:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is perfect! Playing today! You will not regret it---buy it now!!

Hopefully this youtube play will give you all an idea of just how life changing this Arthur Lee mix is!

August
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NBL8NMdCP0

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/10/2019 17:26:40
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2019 :  00:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I agree LK - the mix on August is fantastic. Four Sail has always been my second favourite Love album. Thanks for drawing our attention to this treasure.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2019 :  14:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I agree LK - the mix on August is fantastic. Four Sail has always been my second favourite Love album. Thanks for drawing our attention to this treasure.

Each track is credited as "(Arthur's Mix)". I wish there were liner notes to explain and elaborate about the history of these mixes and why they were not used.

I assume Elektra was given all of Arthur's mixes; those chosen for "Four Sail" and those later used for "Out Here" on Blue Thumb. Jac chose the best for Elktra, but also chose to have them remixed it seems.

Maybe Elektra was "over" Arthur and didn't trust his spare mix. Oftentimes, adding reverb, echo and effects were the norm then, but as can be illustrated with Arthur's mixes, less is more.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/10/2019 14:34:46
Go to Top of Page

Ashrob
Second Love

49 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2019 :  23:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I now have this album purchased from Amazon. Haven’t heard it yet as my turntable isn’t working.

However included is a free MP3 download of the album but it isn’t. They have provided a 2007 extended CD issued by Rhino /Elektra that included 3 bonus tracks of Robert Montgomery (alternative vocal), Talking In My Sleep (alternative mix) and Singing Cowboy (unedited version). I have the same CD issued by Elektra in 2002.

The lack of information from Rhino is underwhelming. I hope this will be rectified.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  13:19:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashrob

I now have this album purchased from Amazon. Haven’t heard it yet as my turntable isn’t working.

However included is a free MP3 download of the album but it isn’t. They have provided a 2007 extended CD issued by Rhino /Elektra that included 3 bonus tracks of Robert Montgomery (alternative vocal), Talking In My Sleep (alternative mix) and Singing Cowboy (unedited version). I have the same CD issued by Elektra in 2002.

The lack of information from Rhino is underwhelming. I hope this will be rectified.

Right ...where are the liner notes? What good is the 2002/2007 CD that we all mostly have?

All we do know is that the tracks are labeled as Arthur Lee mixes. True the high quality of the mixes alone speak for themselves as being the definitive mixes, but some storyline/background history would be nice. Especially since the only people that likely will buy it are true Arthur Lee fans. We, here anyway, gobble up all the Love/Arthur Lee background information and recording history we can get!

Rhino is usually forthcoming providing nice liner notes, but these Summer of Love 1967-1969 releases are surprisingly devoid of liner notes. What's with that? Part of the appeal is the history, stories and even myths of those halcyon days.

Peace & LoVE...

Edited by - lemonade kid on 03/11/2019 13:22:58
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page