New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trtlrock
Second Love

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2014 :  01:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously not a priority to update the website gig list, but Arthur & a backing band (Das Damen?) played at the Black Cat in Wash,DC on Oct.3 1994. I was there (great gig!), and a friend taped part of the gig. Also rec'd an alt-source copy of the whole gig much later. Neither source seems to circulate anywhere readily available.

Arthur was absolutely wonked. Made some humorously semi-coherent comments about Mayor Barry. Whole gig ground to a halt when he broke a string, but thankfully the backing guitarist fixed it up for him.

His voice was a 10/10! Great memories...

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2014 :  23:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Wonked"?
Go to Top of Page

trtlrock
Second Love

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2014 :  06:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep...wonked. An impromptu word endeavoring to describe a buzzed or inebriated condition that fortuitously & miraculously enhances a live musical performance, rather than undermining it.

:)

It was a truly (no hyperbole) stellar performance. Super-high energy & amazing vocals! Signed autographs at the edge of the stage after the show -- I think he was really feelin' no pain by then, as he happily scribbled a personalized autograph on the blank cassette insert we had used to tape the show!

Unfortunately, the analog cassette couldn't handle the dynamic range, and the resultant recording (along w/the alt source I later rec'd) doesn't even begin to convey the wonderful, bludgeoning "crunch" of the performance. Only musical downside I recall was the drummer treating Orange Skies as if it were When the Levee Breaks...

Later in '95 or '96, I drove a 12-hour or so round trip from my home in Virginia to NYC to see him somewhere (Bottom Line maybe?). Arthur didn't show up -- I know, shocking! Anyway, I traded Arthur no-show stories with about 50 people milling around, purged my anger, walked across the street to a record store where I bought Love Story (had just come out), and played it all the way home in the car. By about the 3rd or 4th song I had forgiven him. I mean...really -- what else could you do?

Might as well add that I saw the 2003 Birchmere show w/mini orchestra, which I recall being flawless, but much more (too?) sedate. But I was so happy for him that it was sold out.

I vaguely remember passing on the '04 State Theater show in Falls Church w/the Zombies. Maybe I figured it couldn't get better than the Black Cat & Birchmere? More likely I was haunting these forums & was scared it would be a debacle. I certainly regret that decision in retrospect, as I missed my chance to see Johnny, as well as the Zombies (a big fan), especially since I seem to recall that Jim Rodford played bass on that tour, and I'm a hard-core Kinks fanatic. Should've caught the Ramshead gig too. Oh well...

Edited by - trtlrock on 30/12/2014 06:33:43
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2014 :  10:55:19  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a copy of that show, it has 14 tracks.Is this from your friend?

http://www.thefreedomman.com/
PRESS THE LINK!
Go to Top of Page

trtlrock
Second Love

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2014 :  18:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

No, the 14-track is the alt source. I think I got it from you? Or maybe tNG?

14-track setlist:

Your Mind and We Belong Together
My Little Red Book
Orange Skies
Signed DC
Alone Again Or
Can't Explain
Bummer in the Summer
Singing Cowboy
Andmoreagain
Everybody's Gotta Live ^ Instant Karma
LA Caloca
7 and 7 Is
She Comes in Colors
A House Is Not a Motel

1h.09m.44s

------------------

My friend's tape (2 tracks -- I haven't had a chance to split it yet):

1) Introduction + Your Mind and We Belong Together + My Little Red Book + Orange Skies + Signed D.C. + Alone Again Or + Can't Explain + Bummer in the Summer + Singing Cowboy
2) She Comes in Colors + A House Is Not a Motel

55m.24s

I know he taped the whole show, but when it came time to get it out and digitize it, either I had lost a tape, or he had inadvertently taped over an earlier part of the show. Having no cassette deck at the time, I sent the tape to Mark Linn, who was kind enough to rip it onto CDR for me. I suppose Mark might still have the original tape?

Anyway, if memory serves, I swapped my partial for the 14-track as part of a minor transaction. Probably w/tNG, if you don't have my partial in your collection.

In a related matter, there is a (very) short list of Arthur gigs I'd like to have. Are you open to some minor swapping still? What's the best way to contact you? Without asking you to speak for tNG, would he be inclined to help out a dedicated Love fan with a minor swap, do you think? Does he still hang around here or on your site? Know of the best way to contact him?

Thanks, John

trtlrock@comcast.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page