New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2013 :  20:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott Appel has been discussed mostly for his second album where he covers six of Nick's songs. Scott died far too young and covered Nick as well as any, but before anything else, needs to be remembered here for his own unique & huge artistic talent.

Bird Flew By...stop and listen first.
http://grooveshark.com/profile/Scott+Appel/22612401

SCOTT APPEL
...though of course, we here cannot help but honor Scott Appel for his fine covers of Nick...

Listen & read on...Hazey Jane cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPcCnh_FGI

Spellbound years ago by the haunting images found in the music of English folksinger Nick Drake, Scott Appel began a correspondence with the late artist's parents, Rodney and Molly Drake. Their faith in Appel's discreetness and their awareness of his empathy with Drake's music paid off handsomely for the New Jersey-based guitarist, as he was one of the few musicians given access to Drake's mythical and fiercely protected private recordings. Since then, Appel has shouldered the Drake legend more comfortably than any other singer, songwriter, or guitarist.

Appel first started playing guitar at the age of eight. His early influences included the English folkies Davy Graham and Bert Jansch and in 1972, he had mastered the instrument enough to gain entrance into Boston's famed Berklee School of Music. After only a year, Appel realized he knew more than his instructors did, so he quit. Through the rest of the '70s, he earned his living teaching guitar, playing jazz and folk in coffeehouses, bars, and supper clubs, and even playing Led Zeppelin-influenced heavy metal in cover bands. By the '80s, however, he had returned to the acoustic folk that he loved best, recording his first album, Glassfinger, in 1985. Glassfinger showcased Appel's ability on bottleneck slide with the emphasis on Irish and English folk music as opposed to American blues.

Nine of Swords, Appel's second release, was the fruit of his intensive study of the melancholic sound and unorthodox guitar tunings of Nick Drake. The record is a better tribute to Drake than any written eulogy, offering covers of several early Drake songs never released (legitimately), as well as "Place to Be" from Drake's stark masterpiece Pink Moon. (the CD reissue on Schoolkids includes even more Drake compositions). Parhelion, the follow-up release, further explores the Drake catalog with stunning results. Appel's own compositions complement rather than conflict with the Drake covers. An apt description of his songs might be "melancholic new age/folk": gentle and dreamlike, with low-key, mature vocals and adroit finger-style guitar. Appel's recordings are somewhat difficult to locate, as all are on small, independent labels, but the persistent will be rewarded.

Scott T. Appel (March 3, 1954 – March 11, 2003) was a musician and a musicologist.

Biography

Appel began playing the guitar at the age of eight. Initial influences were the English "folkies" Davy Graham and Bert Jansch.

In 1972 Appel gained admittance to Boston's Berklee School of Music.

In 1989 Appel released the album Nine of Swords on the Kicking Mule label as KM-343, which included six Nick Drake covers and also some Drake-influenced pieces. It was reissued in 1995 by Schoolkids Records The album was warmly received and received four stars by Rolling Stone.

Appel died in New Jersey at the age of 48 after a long battle with heart disease. Friend and fellow guitarist Mark Fogarty posted an obituary of Appel on his MySpace page

Appel was a primary contributor to the Nick Drake tribute album "Brittle Days"(1992) released by Manchester England's Imaginary Records. Appel contributed "From the Morning" and "Hazy Jane". Both tracks were produced by NY producer Brad Morrison and recorded at Mixolydian Studios.

Discography

Glassfinger (1985)
Nine of Swords (1989)
Parhelion (1998)

Glassfinger

A review is welcome....I can't find any.

Nine Of Swords
Review by Pemberton Roach-Allmusic Guide

Nine of Swords is both a touching tribute to, and an in-depth exploration of, the music and genius of Nick Drake. A masterful acoustic guitar player, Scott Appel has actually managed to figure out some of Drake's ultra-obscure alternate tunings and here uses them on performances of unreleased compositions by Nick Drake himself, as well as several excellent Drake-influenced originals. Amazingly, Appel manages not only to duplicate Drake's enigmatic guitar stylings, but the late singer/songwriter's quiet grace and intensity as well. Perfect music for a lonely winter day, Nine of Swords occasionally veers into new age territory, but more often is reminiscent of Leo Kottke or Frank Christian, two other players who share Nick Drake's penchant for gracing powerfully meditative and emotionally charged songs with brilliant and complex guitar playing. On a few tunes, Appel strays from the solo acoustic format by including bass, percussion, strings, synth, electric lead guitar and tape loop effects, but the additions are always appropriate, occasionally (particularly on the title track) recalling the more experimental work of John Martyn. A gifted player who is incredibly adept at duplicating the haunting musical moods of his hero, Scott Appel has, with Nine of Swords, unquestionably established himself as the torchbearer and foremost interpreter of Nick Drake's work.

Panthelion

Parhelion is a moving album its wonderful guitar work which is complex will appeal to anyone who appreciates a fine guitar player such as scott, it is a good album with some well writen tracks although I think he should have concentrated more on his own material, Nick Drake is not easy to cover and it shows, brittle days is an example of what a good composer Scott was, if you like this you will aslo like Nine of Swords another Nick Drake inspired album from Scott Appel a fine musician in his own right

Scott's third (and last, alas) record combines his great final songwriting plus some rare out-takes spanning his whole career. Check out his great "Nine of Swords" and first record, which may be LP only, "Glassfinger." Time for a comprehensive collection of this fine guitarist, songwriter, arranger, and vocalist (as long as it was in the key of D!).

Road (cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JDswU48j_c

Place To Be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvzu_eYXL8c

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 29/12/2016 15:11:19

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2013 :  20:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott Appel discusses Nick Drake part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9evgeNhXQQ

I actually don't own any Scott Appel albums....wish I did. Looking for a friend to share a few...any one?

-lk
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2013 :  20:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott Appel

How many people do you know who made a record that drew three and a half stars from Rolling Stone and was touted by Billboard as one of the best albums of its year? Probably not many. That’s why it’s important to note the loss of Scott Appel, a quietly brilliant musician who died March 11 in New Jersey after a long battle with heart disease. He was 48. Scott was a virtuoso guitarist and musicologist, a dedicated musician who followed no other career than the hard life of making music for small, independent labels. --mp3pal

Here's a tip for a savvy record label- reissue Nine of Swords. The three copies available through secondary vendors at Amazon are priced at $80 and $100. It's not as if the Scott Appel album is a secret. It received enthusiastic reviews when it was released in 1988. Appel was a sort of Nick Drake revivalist back when Drake was no more than a footnote to all but road surfacing folk fans. This album, which included previously unpublished Drake songs, served as my introduction to the now fashionable Drake. Out of respect for the late Appel, I'm featuring one of his original compositions here. But trust me- he did Drake better than anyone. C'mon Drag City. Or what about you, Sugar Hill? Every freak-folker worth his or her salt needs Nine of Swords.--therestandstheglass.blogspot

-lk
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2018 :  19:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still listen to Scott - his covers of Nick tend to be very true to the guitar parts

His covers are the only decent ones on the odd Nick tribute (Brittle Days!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2018 :  16:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I still listen to Scott - his covers of Nick tend to be very true to the guitar parts

His covers are the only decent ones on the odd Nick tribute (Brittle Days!

Me too. Love Parhelion CD you gave me. Listen while driving...

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. Ð GENE CLARK
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2018 :  22:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it too, though the singing might not be to everyones taste!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page