New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2015 :  22:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny stuff...I remember a few of those teenage moments with my mom!
Is this about music> Well, it was the 60's, so of course, or not...well the Doobies were a 70's band, so not. or maybe...it's a bit hazy. .

Netflix and Chill

© 2009

By Stephen Hurley / ©Yahoo News 2015

Stephen Hurley discovered what kids mean by ÒNetflix and chillingÓ and he was not amused. OK. He was a little amused. Now he has started to question everything he hears, however.

If being ÒhipÓ to the younger generation is genetic, IÕm screwed. My Mother was a very smart women, but she didnÕt have a clue when it came to what kids were talking about. She didnÕt speak their language nor did she care to.

This was evidenced best in my Junior Year of High School when my friend Dave left a message for me that she responsibly relayed. In my MotherÕs words, ÒYour friend Dave called. He said you left a doobie at his house last night.Ó I was prepared for some frightening consequences, but it became immediately obvious my Mom did not know what a doobie was. Now, she did lecture me for several minutes about the importance of being responsible. She said that leaving a doobie over DaveÕs house was typical of me and that she wouldnÕt be shocked if I had been as irresponsible with someone elseÕs doobie because I was careless and not very thoughtful.

For the record, listening to your Mom drop the word doobie four times in a 20 second stern lecture about responsibility is fantastic comedy.

A few days ago, I read something that made me realize IÕm just as out of touch as my Mom. I found out that the phrase ÒNetflix and chillÓ actually mean hooking up for todayÕs youth. ItÕs sounds so innocent but kids, as theyÕve always done, have turned something as harmless as enjoying binge watching House of Cards into getting their freak on. And IÕm sure they no longer say ÒGetting their freak on.Ó Did they ever say that? A liver spot just exploded on my hand.

The only way to avoid being in the dark when it comes to my sons Charles and Arthur is to always be vigilant when it comes to breaking their code. TheyÕre only 15 weeks now, but in a few years theyÕll start developing phrases to use with their friends and each other that will seem benign but will undoubtedly have more sinister meanings. TheyÕre in for a surprise because I know what a doobie is and I WILL figure out what theyÕre saying!!

LetÕs fast forward a few years

Charles: Hey, Dad. WeÕre going to ride our bikes down to the park and play catch.

Me: How dumb do you think I am? Ride your bike? ThatÕs clearly code for scoring some heroin. Do you know what riding your bike can do to your brain!! Your head is writing checks that your body canÕt cash!!! (I love quoting the angry Navy guy from Top Gun)

Arthur: Hey. Me, Charles and some friends are going down to the mall to see the new Star Wars Movie.

Me: Really? The new Star Wars Movie? Do you think I just fell off the turnip truck? I have no intention of letting you steal a car and drive down to Comic Con. If you want to watch Star Wars you can stay right here and order it on Netflix. No, wait!! You canÕt do that either.

Today itÕs ÒNetflix and chill.Ó I have to anticipate what itÕs going to be 10-12 years from now. When my sons announce theyÕre going to have an English Muffin with lots of butter are they really going to be communicating to each other that theyÕll be meeting downtown at midnight for illegal street racing?

If they tell me theyÕre using the Rosetta Stone to learn a new language is that just code for making a quick $500 by helping to sneak people across the border?

I think I have two options to guarantee I stay one step ahead in the years to come. I could pay some young kid who lives in another town to keep me up to date on street vernacular. I donÕt have that much money.

My other option is I could just have a cup of coffee and relax.

I just donÕt know what thatÕs actually code for.

So much music, so little time.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/11/2015 22:39:21
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page