New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  14:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many here have heard and seen the video (I had not), but we can honor the 50 year anniversary...
thanks RW, once again!

50 YEARS AGO TODAY (9/2/65)
THE DOORS RECORD THEIR FIRST DEMOS

Ð CHECK THE EARLY RECORDINGS

September 2, 2015 by Glide Magazine
50 years ago today (9/2/65), The Doors recorded their first demos at World Pacific Jazz Studios in Los Angeles, California, where they cut six Jim Morrison songs. These are The DoorsÕ original demos that they recorded before being signed to Elektra, and these were all recorded before Robby Krieger had joined the band. In addition to Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, and John Densmore, the group featured RayÕs brothers Rick Manczarek (guitar) and Jim Manczarek (harmonica) as well as an unknown female bass player.

Track Listing
00:00 Hello, I love you
02:27 Summer«s almost gone
04:42 End of the night
07:43 Moonlight drive
10:10 My eyes have seen you
12:12 Go insane

Watch the video here...Studio Demos (1965) [Early recordings of the Doors]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPUUklcVLZI

Ray, pretty much on piano, rather than organ throughout, minimal guitar, a lot of harmonica, and a very different Jim vocal style than what he ultimately settled on, almost more "punk/snarl" Chocolate Watch Band, Standells, Seeds at times....

Quite nice actually. -lk

So much music, so little time.

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  15:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the demos are quite good (Hello I Love You, Summers Almost Gone), some lacking when compared to how they would eventually sound (My Eyes Have Seen You, Go Insane). Still leagues ahead of what Rick and Ravens cut. Thank you Dick Bock for cutting these.

Slightly off topic I would also like to have been there when Rick and the Ravens cut Henrietta, which featured the soon-to-be-Byrds on the vocal backing track.

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  21:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the post Morrison albums are being reissued by Rhino today
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2015 :  11:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder.... was it this anniversary that TV writer and Doors fan Jeff Povey was thinking of when he wrote an episode of British medical soap "Casualty", broadcast on 9th September? It introduces five new characters, possibly for this episode only - I didn't see the show. Their names? Col Morrison, Naomi Morrison, Luke Krieger, Angeline Densmore and Pieter Manzerak. Povey subsequently eplained ""Jim Morrison saved me from life as an accountant in a small town in Scotland, so I felt I owed him a mention".

DT

Scottish, not British.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page