Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  16:51:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Badfinger's Joey Molland talks 'Baby Blue' and the 'Breaking Bad' finale

by Ray Rahman - music mix

Last night’s Breaking Bad finale brought about plenty of surprises — especially for Joey Molland, the guitarist and sole surviving member of the British power-pop band Badfinger.

As you certainly know by now (and if not, SPOILERS AHEAD), the group’s 1972 hit “Baby Blue” pointedly soundtracked the episode’s final scene, and the song has since shot up the charts accordingly. We called the 66-year-old Molland at his home in Minnesota to catch up and ask him about his thoughts on the whole thing.

EW: Did you know beforehand that “Baby Blue” was going to be used in the finale?
Joey Molland: No. It’s a Peter Ham song, so Pete’s estate and the record label, publishing house — they’d communicate with them about it. So we had no idea it was going to happen. I was actually just catching the end of the show, really. I was working around the house all day, packing up stuff for the Goodwill, and just doing mundane stuff like that.

I caught the last, like, ten minutes of it, where the guy gets shot and all that. My youngest son watches it. I’m not really a big TV guy, to tell you the truth. I had an idea of what it was about, and I knew that last night was the last show in it — it’s all anybody’s really been talking about the last few days or week or so. So, yeah, it was all good.

So what was your reaction when your heard the song come on during the scene?
Well, I was really surprised! [laughs] The song sounds great — I’ve always liked the record myself. It’s one of my favorites, for sure. It was a big hit for us, too. So it was great to hear it. And I’m glad they used our version of it and not a recut of it. It’s great, you know? Today it’s in the charts, and yesterday it was kind of like an oldies record!

Are you anticipating a new generation perhaps discovering Badfinger for the first time?

Well, it’d be nice! It’d be lovely to start selling a lot of records again [laughs]. But you’ve got to take these things as they come, you know? It could be just a big flash in the pan. But it’s certainly exciting, and I’m thrilled to be dealing with it. People getting interested in the band and the music is just great. Who knows, maybe people will start looking at Badfinger records again.

And you’re still touring, right?

I do shows as Joey Molland’s Badfinger. I’ve been doing that for years. I’m the only Badfinger guy left! I just came back from Japan — I did a couple of concerts in Tokyo. And right before that I was in England. This weekend I’m going to Panama City in Florida to do a big festival down there with Grand Funk [Railroad] and Cheap Trick and that stuff.

Are you preparing yourself for a lot of “Baby Blue” requests?

Yeah, well, when we do a Joey Molland’s Badfinger show, we always do all those hits. We still do ‘em in the same keys, actually. And we open the show with it, actually — it’s such a great little number.

What’s next on the horizon for you?

I’ve got a new record coming out. It’s coming out on Gonzo Media Group. It’s called Return to Memphis. I think it’ll be out in November, late November. We’re just finishing up the liner notes now. I’m looking forward to it. It’s quite different — different from any record I’ve ever made myself.

Baby Blue-spoiler Breaking Bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlp_euVPjfI

From my favorite Badfinger LP--Straight Up

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 01/10/2013 16:59:54

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  16:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Breaking Bad” Ending Song Badfinger’s “Baby Blue” Climbing iTunes, Amazon, Spotify Charts

UPDATE Monday afternoon: Spotify says worldwide streaming of “Baby Blue” is up 9000 percent. Pete Ham and Mal Evans (and George Harrison) are smiling in heaven!

“Guess I got what I deserved.” That’s the first line of Badfinger’s 1972 hit “Baby Blue” produced by George Harrison and Todd Rundgren. It was the perfect song to end to “Breaking Bad,” summing up everything that happened to Walter White. The show went out with several bangs, and the inevitable end of Walter was accomplished by returning to an old plot line and characters from early in the series. “Baby Blue” is already number 27 on iTunes and 58 on amazon.com
Will it take off like “Don’t Stop Believing” after “The Sopranos” finale? That would be nice. “Baby Blue” comes from Badfinger’s classic album “Straight Up” which also featured their hit “Day After Day.” Badfinger was the Apple Records house band. They were wonderful, but plagued by drugs and depression and ultimately suicide.
But “Baby Blue” was the perfect send off for Walt and friends. The “blue” refers to the blue meth, just another perk. The ending seemed pretty satisfying. Aaron Paul and Bob Odenkirk must be happy.

Badfinger performing BABY BLUE live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C53QAuOoSgc

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 01/10/2013 17:06:21
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2013 :  21:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah we were just discussing this most recent media exposure of this wonderful Badfinger tune over on Talk Classic Rock,which I can highly recommend for anyone who uses this site.When I heard about this I flipped!Very refreshing to know that the world hasn't forgotten about the Welsh band discovered by the Beatles' Apple organization.Along with Mary Hopkin and James Taylor's first LP,they are a very fascinating curio among Beatle/Apple collectors.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page