New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  04:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What were some of the rumours that followed the band around?

"Dougnut Shop robbers" was a load of b.s. by Snoppy in the ZigZag interview he did in the early 70s which was disproven in the Book of Love by Johnny and other people on his forum probably would support him.

Arthur had o.d. in a tub following the dissoultion of the original luneup.

Gethsemane

I read somewhere from a letter that Bryan wrote to Mojo magazine in '97 or '98 that they had infered that he and Arthur had a homosexual relationship.(I think it was that same letter that Bryan was telling them to stop picking on Arthur).

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  05:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a question: whats up with all your snide remarks? is there any purpose to them.

Edited by - waxburn on 30/07/2012 05:22:14
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  15:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All just part of the mystique of LoVE--there are always those willing to spread junk about someone they are envious of...and there will always be someone willing to listen to the gossip; but all great bands had their anti-fan base spreading lies and stories....Beatles included.

Spread the LoVE.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0PCzH-K1hg
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  04:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

All just part of the mystique of LoVE--there are always those willing to spread junk about someone they are envious of...and there will always be someone willing to listen to the gossip; but all great bands had their anti-fan base spreading lies and stories....Beatles included.

Spread the LoVE.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River

why do i get the feeling he knows the answers to all his questions.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  13:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:

Spread the LoVE.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River

Not to worry, wb...I don't think our friend, abraxas, means any harm to Love's memory; seems that everyone new to the site becomes a bit fascinated with the nasty rumors that are always there on the fringes--some worse than others.

None are true, of coure, as you likely know, abraxas....and don't mind us...we're just a bit protective of our LoVE & Arthur. We've heard those stories so often we just get a bit defensive when they come up again for the umpteenth time.

It's all about Love HERE!

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  16:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by waxburn

quote:

Spread the LoVE.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River

Not to worry, wb...I don't think our friend, abraxas, means any harm to Love's memory; seems that everyone new to the site becomes a bit fascinated with the nasty rumors that are always there on the fringes--some worse than others.

None are true, of coure, as you likely know, abraxas....and don't mind us...we're just a bit protective of our LoVE & Arthur. We've heard those stories so often we just get a bit defensive when they come up again for the umpteenth time.

It's all about Love HERE!

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River

one thing i ve learned about this love thing is that nothing is as it appears to be.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  17:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very good waxburn very good...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  17:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and Conka didn't appreciate Signed DC (according to Echols Ugly Things)

Who knew?!
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  19:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interestingly enough, when, at my request after the House Of Blues show, on which he drummed on the encore of "Smokestack Lightning," Don added his signature to those of Arthur and Johnny on my copy of the first album, he initially said, "You know, I'm not really on it." When I responded that I did know that, but that he was the first drummer I ever saw playing with Love, and that I'd heard him drum on all those songs, he smiled, and signed the album, "Signed D.C."
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  03:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Classic! Well done, RW.

quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

Interestingly enough, when, at my request after the House Of Blues show, on which he drummed on the encore of "Smokestack Lightning," Don added his signature to those of Arthur and Johnny on my copy of the first album, he initially said, "You know, I'm not really on it." When I responded that I did know that, but that he was the first drummer I ever saw playing with Love, and that I'd heard him drum on all those songs, he smiled, and signed the album, "Signed D.C."

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  16:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

I forgot you saw Conka play with Love...any good stories? Hope you are over your virus! Bummer in the summer.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2012 :  17:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats right. there are no recordings with Conka, and he was said to be the best drummer!
Go to Top of Page

Buffalo
Fourth Love

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2012 :  23:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I put to rest most of those longheld myths and rumours in my book.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  13:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buffalo

I thought I put to rest most of those longheld myths and rumours in my book.

I guess it's like gossip, John...it just goes round and round. But I suppose some would prefer to listen to the myths, rather than the men who lived Love.

I for one prefer truth over fiction. Maybe because LOve had always been so steeped in mystery, it was hard to let the mystique go.

As you write in the intro to your book--

"In 2003, following his release from prison....Frustrated by what he considered flawed, exaggerated, and generally inaccurate accounts of his life, Arthur was determined to set the record straight".

Thanks, John, for giving us Arthur's personal account (and, sure, I stress "personal", but isn't that better than the rumors?), AND those accounts of so many who knew and performed with, and loved Arthur, or hated Arthur; but all lived the time of Love.

I don't need the myths--they are the blemish on the memory of Love. The music should be enough.

Love is enough.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/08/2012 13:26:07
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  15:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it would be nice to have a "things you should know about things rumored Love" around here....to put some grounding on the 'myths'? The truth about Love is here I think.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  17:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm more intrigued by Gethesemene? was the final single gonna be tracks from that? was Love gonna continue without Bryan who wanted to go solo, so they did some tracks for that? Love was still obligated to Elektra

I'm assuming that songs on Four Sail were written earlier as Four Sail is quite a good album (Jac Holzman HATES the album; perhaps he just hated it as a follow up to Forever Changes!)

Johnny is cutting songs with David Angel now as Gethesemene. Forever Changes was originally going to be a double - was the double going to be called Gethesemene with more of Echols & Bryans songs?

was Forever Changes a compromise between Love and Elektra as Elektra didn't want to release a double?

and didn't Love want to get off the label anyway? why would they want to cut a double if they wanted to flee Elektra after getting the Doors on the label (which backfired - Elektra would NOT let Love go)

Gethesemene is an interesting proposition - a follow up by the original band to Forever Changes. They had the songs, apparently, as the third album was originally gonna be a double, so Johnny & Bryan were writing songs, and Bryan REALLY wanted his songs out there (he seems to have been as prolific as Arthur at the time)

why cut a last single ? was "Laughing stock" a parting shot to the rest of the band post Forever Changes? was it intentioned for a further album to follow up Forever Changes, an extra song from the sessions that could no longer fit on the album because it was no longer a double!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page