Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2012 :  14:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...not your grandfather's father or great great great grandfather's Americana folk renditions....

Clementine...this is quite a unique (but it's Neil afterall!!) take on folk tradition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqOrZP2EpNk&feature=relmfu

NEIL ROCKS AMERICAnA!!

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0PCzH-K1hg

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2012 :  14:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yessss........

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  01:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its not as bad as Self Portrait is it?

all covers .. yikes!!!

Nowadays Clancy can't even sing..
Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  05:24:41  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i 'like' it, but it's supposedly a 'warm-up' to a 'real' neil young/crazy horse album of new original tunes - we can only hope.
the horse is touring this fall w/patti smith opening - awesome.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  14:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

its not as bad as Self Portrait is it?

all covers .. yikes!!!

Nowadays Clancy can't even sing..

Reviewing something based on the fact it is full of covers is not the way to go, Joe...
Remember some artists started by doing pretty nothing but covers...Beatles, Stones ring a bell...?

One could say that Neils take on Americana is best described as "totally original Neil Young renditions of traditional folk tunes, played by Neil and Crazy Horse in a completely unique heavy rock style only Neil could pull off..

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  15:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have nightmares about Self Portrait!

could be the worst double album ever released

Curiously its not even Dylan's worst album. Thats probably Down in the Groove or Dylan (outtakes from Self Portrait!!) or something

I think the fact of it being a double lp is pretty appalling though - you got bad live cuts with the Band, appalling strings, dreadful vocals. Its as if the man truly didn't give a toss
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  15:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like everything else, Dylan sucked in the '80s. He locked into a game of chicken with Neil Young, battling to see who could release more bad albums before the decade was out. (Dylan won, eight to seven.) For years Dylan fumbled around like a complete unknown, lost in threads and synth drums, trying to conform to a pop scene that had nothing to do with him. On , he sounded lucky just to be employed, though "Tight Connection to My Heart" went into the all-time canon of great Dylan songs on lousy Dylan albums. , the absolute bottom of the Dylan barrel, has the Carol Burnett Show-style production number "Brownsville Girl," with one classic Dylan line: "I didn't know whether to duck or run, so I ran." has a sing-along goof, "Ugliest Girl in the World," though it's not as funny as the genius self-parody of "Tweeter and the Monkey Man," buried that same year on the Traveling Wilburys' . and were studio-slick mush, while made one Deadhead friend lament, "I never thought I'd see the day when Jerry Garcia would have to bail someone out vocally."His best performance of the '80s was hidden on side two of the mostly terrible, completely ignored 1984 concert album : a new version of "Tangled Up in Blue," with just Dylan and his guitar, playing around with the chord changes and improvising new words, using the crowd as an instrument to rewrite one of his classics as a whole new song. Hardly anyone paid attention, not even Dylan himself, but he would eventually revisit this playful spirit in the '90s to make some of his finest music. He hit the road for his Never Ending Tour, and recorded a couple of overlooked oddities, and , which comprise solo acoustic renditions of old blues and folk songs. It was now official: Dylan had finally blown out his voice. But that turned out to be good news, because after those last creaky floorboards gave way, the man had to come up with a whole new songwriting style for the voice he was left with, the sinister rusted-muffler growl he introduced on . Dylan's biggest success in years, shocked the world because it didn't even echo past glories -- it was a ghostly, beautiful new sound, yet another side of Bob Dylan. If he'd trained for Nashville Skyline by quitting cigarettes, sounded as though he'd been sucking exhaust pipes, which perfectly suited the bleak, world-weary wit of "Not Dark Yet," "Standing in the Doorway," and the 17-minute finale, "Highlands."He hit even harder with , a full-blown tour of the American songbook in all its burlesque splendor, veering into country blues, ragtime, vaudeville, cocktail-lounge corn, the minstrel show, and the kind of rockabilly he used to bash out with his high school band. is a musical autobiography that also sounds like a casual, almost accidental history of the country. The old man faces the apocalypse in "High Water (For Charley Patton)," finds twisted romance in "Moonlight" and "Bye and Bye," even cracks a knock-knock joke in the borscht-belt blues "Po' Boy." ("Freddy or not, here I come"-oy, gevalt!) Relaxed, magisterial, utterly confident in every musical idiom he touches, Dylan sings in a voice that sounds even older than he is.Dylan's reissues are a tangled mess already, and we ain't seen nothing yet. was the 1985 box set, spiking the hits with choice rarities from 1963's "Lay Down Your Weary Tune" to 1981's "Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar." The prize is the outtake "Up to Me," with the line, "She's everything I need and love, but I can't be swayed by that." is a sprawl, and you can argue all day about the selections (that's part of the fun), but it's still an excellent way to turn on a new fan, or to become one. The three-disc collects unreleased treasures like "She's Your Lover Now," "Let Me Die in My Footsteps," "Call Letter Blues," and "Blind Willie McTell," as well as the unheralded baseball classic "Catfish." It has hardly any Basement Tapes material, though, undoubtedly because that's getting saved for the inevitable . The 1995 reaches all the way back to the early '70s, which is just crazy. The two-CD, 30-song is a handy sampler, despite some dubious picks ("Rainy Day Women," that means you). is the best live album by far. The 1974 is crude, rough fun with the Band; 1975 has windbag Rolling Thunder performances; and are naps; and the Vegas-style revue is immaculately frightful. is the famous October '64 solo acoustic show at Carnegie Hall, long bootlegged as , and prized as his definitive pre-electric live set. "Don't let that scare ya. It's just Halloween," Dylan tells the crowd as he fiddles with the intro to "If You Gotta Go, Go Now." "I have my Bob Dylan mask on." But wherever you start exploring, Dylan's body of work is one to luxuriate in; this is what salvation must be like after a while. (ROB SHEFFIELD)
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  16:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a Neil Young fan, but I did notice that there was a fairly lengthy interview with him on BBC radio a couple of weeks or so ago. I didn't listen so can't say whether or not it was any good but for those who may be interested it can be found at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01jhp10

DT
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2012 :  19:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good...I like Neil talking and commenting on things he's thinking about. The guy in the Moody Blues said he was 'just a singer in a rock'n'roll band!' Now with Neil,as he supposedly said many moons ago, well he just wants to play folk in a rock'n'roll band! 'Americana' is just another indication of him doing something new all the time.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  01:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you know how TIME FADES AWAY
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  05:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, but rust never sleeps....

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  16:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..for the Emperor of Wyoming....please tell me y'all's bestest best record..thank you!...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  18:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rocker...my personal favorite is Neil's first...and of course the original cover WITHOUT the "NEIL YOUNG" title across the top is just fantastic! I have TWo first pressing covers around-and two nice platters! I believe that less than 800 were pressed before Neil changed it...it didn't sell too well

Neil Young is the self-titled debut studio album by Canadian musician Neil Young, which was his debut release as a solo artist following his departure from the band Buffalo Springfield. Released first in November 1968, it was then partially remixed and re-released in January 1969.

I still have that rare first pressing purchased in November 1968, which has never been reissued. I would love a digital copy. The several original rare tracks are much better for me than the subsequent remixes...lk.

Many sources cite that Neil Young was released in January 1969; however, the album was originally released on November 12, 1968 (Young's 23rd birthday). The first release of the album used the Haeco-CSG encoding system. This technology was intended to make stereo records compatible with mono record players, but had the unfortunate side effect of degrading the sound in both stereo and mono.

Young was unhappy with the sound quality of the first release, so the album was partially remixed in January 1969 and then re-released without Haeco-CSG processing. The "Neil Young" header was added to the album cover; previously the cover art had consisted of only the portrait. Copies of the original 1968 version are now rare and highly sought-after, because legions of Neil Young fans believe that the 1969 mix destroyed much of the beauty of the songs, especially "Here We Are in the Years."

Neil Young was remastered and released on HDCD-encoded CD and digital download on July 14, 2009 as part of the Neil Young Archives Original Release Series. It was released on audiophile vinyl in December 2009, both individually and as part of a box-set of Neil's first 4 LPs available via his official website (this box set was limited to 1000 copies – a CD version of 3000 copies also exists). A high resolution digital Blu-ray disc is planned, although no release date has been set.

Side one

1. "The Emperor of Wyoming" – 2:14
2. "The Loner" – 3:55
3. "If I Could Have Her Tonight" – 2:15
4. "I've Been Waiting for You" – 2:30
5. "The Old Laughing Lady" – 5:58 (5:05 on original mix)

Side two

1. "String Quartet from Whiskey Boot Hill" – 1:04 (Jack Nitzsche)
2. "Here We Are in the Years" – 3:27
3. "What Did You Do to My Life?" – 2:28
4. "I've Loved Her So Long" – 2:40 (2:00 on original mix)
5. "The Last Trip to Tulsa" – 9:25

The original "Here We Are in the Years" has a longer fade out than the remix and fades with the sound of a heartbeat--missing in the remix. It also has the guitar further in the background and has a stronger piano line throughout.

The original "What Did You Do To My Life" is devoid of that reverb and psych sounding chorus. It's more straight folk but still psych folk. If you ever get a chance to heat this, DO IT!!

The original UK release is actually still on that pink and green steamboat label...very cool.

Old Laughing Lady....still the greatest tune from Neil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqoU_8Qd7q8

This a rather appropriate quote from youtube...how I felt the first time I put needle to vinyl on side one....

"I'm 22 and hearing this song for the first time. I feel like I just found Jesus."

Next would be a very close second....."Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere"!

That says a lot since this album is in my TOP FIVE OF ALL TIME...

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/06/2012 07:27:42
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2012 :  18:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. that first one has pride of place at my place. What songs!
And speaking of Neil's songs, this is high up as the killer for me...I thought to myself where and how does he put these things together?.when he writes he pulls in so many associations about the land, relationships, life , history..what a musical genius...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcH-trr75d8&feature=related
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  21:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God I hate the last track. Been listening to it on the Archives dvd, watching the vinyl spinning

Just so long and tiresome
Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  01:49:02  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
with every ticket purchased for the upcoming tour you get a free cd of 'americana' - soon i'll have 3 copies!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page