London review
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danb
First Love

9 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2005 :  14:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to write a little about last night's performance from Love. This is the fifth time I've seen them and last night they really were on blistering form.
The Rocket on Holloway Road was hosting a 60's /Mod weekender which also included headline sets by The Yardbirds (Friday night) and The Chocolate Watch Band (Saturday night) - Love came on at about 10.45pm last night - the crowd around the 1000 mark (it was a big venue with a bar at the back). Twenty minutes before they came on I went to the loo and bumped into a confused-looking Johnny Echols who was looking for the hand-dryer. Arthur turned up with Johnny at the Rocket while I was queing outside to get in (about 9.30) - out the back of a black Merc the great man was looking in good shape - shades, dressed all in black, ready to rock. Mike Randle then turned up with about 12 mod girls who turned out to be a dance troupe who did their stuff before Love strolled on.
All the usual favourites where there - most of Forever Changes, August, Your Mind and We Belong Together ( abrilliant version) and then a encore of Seven and Seven Is - my top tune of the night. Also, Arthur mentioned the passing recently of Don Conka - bit of a shock for me as didnt know about this. Clearly visible was Lee's oldest musical accomplice Johnny Echols, standing open and happy and enraptured onstage for most of the night.
A great, great gig. Arthur on top form and a big, enthusiastic crowd well up for it.
A few beers afterwards did the trick and bumped into John Head of Shack in teh bar - for those who havent given Shack a listen - do so. You will not be disappointed.

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2005 :  15:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the review
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2005 :  14:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They didn't do "August"... set list on Torben's site later today, along with some photos....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page