New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manboob
First Love

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  23:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone i hope you all are doing good and well! I have not posted on here in a while just reading mostly. I wanted to ask you guys, if i have all of the releases on cd already would it be wise to get a copy of love story 2 cd collection also? I heard the songs from four sail are different versions, and are there any other differences? Thanks so much love to read all your great posts!

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  01:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd buy it for the book
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  08:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, not sure there are any differences on the love story collection, I haven't listened to it in some time, but the sources are just the 'standard' album versions AFAIK -- if you have the cd releases from rhino/warners then you've almost certainly got all the material on the collection, plus extras. The booklet is OK, but again I don't think there's anything in it you don't already have.

Having said all that, it's up to you, and wisdom doesn't really enter the equation, maybe depends how much you have to pay for it?

My copy has great sentimental value to me, as records often do -- I can vividly remember buying it, and at the time it was the only way of hearing a lot of the later material on CD.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  08:55:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The six tracks from Four Sail on Love Story are actually different from those which appeared on the Four Sail album. The story goes that after Elektra had selected their ten tracks that they were owed, they enhanced the sound...except for Robert Montgomery. What you have on Love Story are the earlier versions. An account of the whole process is given towards the back of the (excellent) booklet for Warner/Rhino's Four Sail CD.

Joe is right about the extensive booklet for Love Story - for a long time it was one of the best available accounts of the band's history. And Scully is also right - Love Story was an absolute godsend in 1995 when Four Sail had long since been deleted...and it therefore has a magic of its own. I bought my copy at Tower Records in London....it was a Sunday and it wasn't supposed to be released until the following day.

Edited by - John9 on 14/04/2012 16:44:39
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  16:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One slight disappointment with Love Story was that two of the very best tracks from Four Sail - I'm With You and Nothing - were omitted......along with the dynamic Blue Thumb/ Harvest single Stand Out. I suppose that that has always been the problem with compilations...one person's so,so is someone else's indipensable masterpiece! As Kurt Vonnegut would have written:

So it goes

Edited by - John9 on 14/04/2012 16:54:02
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  01:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably should've just focused on the Elektra period
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  14:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or they should've come here to get the track list ok?..What's this place anyway? Chopped liver?....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page