Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  00:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several months ago I had the honor of having a rather extensive dialogue with Johnny Echols concerning his reuniting with Arthur in 2003. It seem's that Mr Echols senior (Johnny's father) and Arthur had grown especially close over the last decade or so and that relationship was instrumental in bringing the two "Son's of Thunder" back to the stage together. I'm not sure if it's widely known but their reunion, along with that of Bryan and Kenny had been in the work's since the time of the Love story box set in the mid nineties, but fate intervened and it was not to be.

Those of us who were fortunate enough to see Lee and Echols on stage together, were witness to an event that was pure magic. The 2005 show in Washington DC (available on Dvd) showed these "brothers" at the top of their game. Throughout the show, Arthur would take every opportunity to praise his friend. One moment that was especially poignant, was when Arthur asked the audience to let him know if they liked the new cd's and if they were unable to tell him, not to worry, Johnny would be out there carrying the torch. (did he know something even then)?

In my conversation with Johnny it was clear that both he and Arthur were concerned with the group's legacy. Since their exposure on the radio was virtualy nonexistent, one of the main reasons for their extensive touring was to keep their name "out-there". Thereby exposing their music to a younger audience and reinvigorating the base. This is still the impetus for Johnny and the rest of the guys from Baby Lemonade to continue. keeping the promise he made Arthur concerning the "hall".

Arthur's greatest wish was to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he talked about it continualy, even though he had burned many of the bridge's to Cleveland, he felt keeping the conversation going would eventually repair some of the damage to those bridge's.

All of us have been so enriched by this music, some have even refered to it as
"the sound track of their live's" I personally can not imagine life without Love's music.
So I think it's long overdue for us to stop lamenting the fact that they have not been so honored and step-up and be heard, let the power's that be at the "hall" know how we feel.

A well thought out and focused email campaign, seem's to be the way to get this train rolling. It has worked for people who were far less worthy than Love, I won't name them but we all know who they are.

The time for hesitation is through, it's time to wallow in the mire of politics and get this thing done, it is absolutely the least we can do and It's also the right thing to do!

GMM

Edited by - gatemouthmoore on 16/02/2010 07:54:24

stewart
Old Love

United Kingdom
559 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  01:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a similar vein and perhaps something for someone to do something about simultaneously with the hall of fame - I went to the Memphis Rock and Soul Museum a few years back and shocked that Arthur was not commemorated in some way in the city of his birth and death given his contribution to music, I expected a statue at least! I left a message in the visitors book there and emailed the local press but I think it'd need more than that for something to happen. I also mentioned it to the Sun Studios guide and tho' he'd heard of Love he didn't realise Arthur's Memphis connection.

We can spend all day arguing that Loveís Forever Changes is the greatest album of all time, but letís not argue. It is the greatest record of all time!
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  01:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree with you stewart, these "oversights" are disheartening, one can only hope that things will get better.

PS: While we in the Love family "Hoist a few" on march 7th to honor the Man and the music why not send an email as well!

GMM

Edited by - gatemouthmoore on 16/02/2010 01:35:38
Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  02:24:35  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see that live dvd!
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  07:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dyecraig

I'd like to see that live dvd!

Contact the new guy he can hook you up!

GMM

Edited by - gatemouthmoore on 16/02/2010 08:00:23
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  14:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gmm.....good idea..my email will be in there...PS I believe the band and Arthur will get their due for their contributions to music and their era...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3448 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  19:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone even care about the Rock and Roll
hall of fame?

it'd be nice if Love was inducted, sure, but there are other great bands (Moby Grape, Monkees, Syd Barrett's Stars) that don't even have a chance of being sworn in

I'd be more intrigued by a box set of early Love demos (from the Elektra period, sure) along with any live footage (video or audio). I'm surprised there isn't more out there by the band on dvd. Theres the Love Story film, sure, and the live Forever Changes show (Snapper label). But aside from the Iceworld Video (I guess that came out officially on video in the early 90s?) and the promo for the 2cd Love Story release (which included "Your mind and we" - I'm assuming Rhino released a video promo for the compilation?

the band really hasn't been served by an official video compilation

oh well - at least theres always the Castle. Love fans have certainly been served by that publication. Definitely worth picking up lk!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9697 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  19:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Arthur's sake, induction into the Hall would be nice, but the Hall
has little respect nowadays as a serious way to respect an artist.

The nod by UK's Parliament means more to me than receiving a place in the Hall...which honors Madonna etc. over many more deserving artists.

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  20:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Joe Morris

does anyone even care about the Rock and Roll
hall of fame?

Joe I understand your point, but is it really up to us to decide what is or is not important to some one else. Being inducted into the hall of fame was very important to Arthur. So to answer your question Arthur Lee cared, a great deal!

He mentioned it many many times over the years and was actively seeking induction, if you recall he even mentioned his frustration on the Love story dvd. I agree that the institution has become more and more irrelevant as time goes on and it seems to be hopelessly mired in petty politics. As far as I'm concerned,it has totally failed to live up to it's mandate.

That being said, is it really so much to ask for us to give a little back to a Man who has given us so much.

GMM

Edited by - gatemouthmoore on 16/02/2010 23:07:07
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  20:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by lemonade kid

For Arthur's sake, induction into the Hall would be nice, but the Hall
has little respect nowadays as a serious way to respect an artist.

The nod by UK's Parliament means more to me than receiving a place in the Hall...which honors Madonna etc. over many more deserving artists.

KD: I agree. Who's not in the R n R HOF that should be and
isn't ?: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Love, Nick Drake, Gram Parsons, John
Martyn, and on and on and on. But Madonna and The
Ronnettes are ? What a joke.

Free the halls !

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2010 :  21:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know KD..wouldn't you like to be in those rock marble halls??.......you'd be rockin' for rock eternity man...people will sing songs about you!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3448 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  00:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forgot about Nickie D (RIP)

on the bright side there is the fact that Arthur WAS able to turn it around, WAS able to get out of prison (after 6 years inside or whatever it was)
and did his muse proud by doing the "peoples favorite" in its entirety in the last few years he was alive

it would've been interesting if the original Love (Bryan, Johnny & etc) had regrouped before Arthur was jailed
but the fact that Love was able to go out on a peak (at least live)

wow, Madonna's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?! but is she rock? was Nick Drake rock for that matter? certainly not John "Solid Air" Martyn! perhaps 3:05 am?

it would be interesting if Love got in, but they do remain an obscure band that most people have only heard of through the Doors connection (that Jim Morrison wanted to be as big as Love, etc..

Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  18:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

[quote]Originally posted by rocker

I don't know KD..wouldn't you like to be in those rock marble halls??.......you'd be rockin' for rock eternity man...people will sing songs about you!

KD: Hey Rocker, of course you're right. I'd love
to be in, but I haven't given up hope yet. I'll keep
plugging away and die trying if nothing else.

It was definitely a serious feeling of pride for
my friend Noel Redding I can assure you. IMHO, during
the first 10 years or so of inductions they generally got
it right - how could they not, with The Beatles, Elvis,
The Stones, etc etc etc.

It's only been in the last 10 years or so that it seeems
to really have become watered down and very political with
some seemingly very fringe lightweight types getting in and the obvious candidates getting rejected right out of hand.

Typical music biz BS if you ask me !

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3448 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2010 :  22:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lotta good bands not in the hall, and probably won't be

Hall & Oates, the Sundays, Teenage Fanclub, the Residents, the Railway Children, the Roches, the Nazz, ELO, Donovan, the Soft Boys, etc etc

doubt if even Yes is in the "Rock and Roll" hall of fame, let alone bands like 305 am!

Christ, is Tull even in? what a joke
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  14:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I've read that the Hall may reduce the number of years a band needs to be around form 25 to 20 in order to be considered for inlcusion. Now that would be interesting and well controversial!
I wish I was a fly on the wall when they make their decisions as to who gets in there. It is possible that a band can get in I guess if their cousin meets a "Hall-board" guy who's a father to the cousin's mother who was, at one time, just a "singer in a rock'n'roll band". So hey does Lady Ga-Ga look like a shoo-in when her time comes up, eh?????...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9697 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2010 :  15:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Now I've read that the Hall may reduce the number of years a band needs to be around form 25 to 20 in order to be considered for inlcusion. Now that would be interesting and well controversial!
I wish I was a fly on the wall when they make their decisions as to who gets in there. It is possible that a band can get in I guess if their cousin meets a "Hall-board" guy who's a father to the cousin's mother who was, at one time, just a "singer in a rock'n'roll band". So hey does Lady Ga-Ga look like a shoo-in when her time comes up, eh?????...

And so bands like Love, far beyond the 20 year range are so far out of their minds that Love or Donovan aren't even in the picture anymore....they are irrelevant to the present day scene. Of course we feel the opposite. Most of what was produced in the last 20 to 25 years is irrelevant at worst, derivative at best!!

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page