Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  21:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
And I've been discussing with my good friend Lizzyb what would be a good way to celebrate the event. There's been some reminiscing on the board lately about the good old days when a number of us used to meet up either bodily or virtually. What would people's (probably UK based people or at least people who could get there easily) views be about having some sort of fan's get-together over that weekend? We could remember Arthur, talk about old times, drink some beer (or whatever your favourite tipple is), watch some videos of great gigs, maybe try to get some special guests along, and generally have a good time. We were thinking about York as a possible location as its about half way between up north and down south and has good train links, but thats only a thought, other views are welcome.

What does anyone think about the idea??

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  00:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great idea, Tina.....and York would suit me perfectly. I was there just two days ago and will be there again tomorrow......definitely count me in! Additionally, it would be a reaffirmation....both of Love 's legacy and of our own sense of community....and it would be great to be able to put faces to names at last.

Edited by - John9 on 31/10/2009 00:20:37
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  00:36:27  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd love it, though from Frome in Somerset I must say York seems very much the North!!

Maybe somewhere in the Midlands might be a little easier?

It's also my son's 18th birthday that day but I guess he'll be too busy with his mates to want me around

By the way, if we arrange it for a hotel can we make it something cheap like a Travel Lodge? That's about all I can afford these days.
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  09:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
York's very south if you live in Aberdeen - we were including Scotland in our geographical calculations! Definitely Travelodge or something like that, York is good for that as there are a load of hotels of all shapes and prices there. I've booked a couple of (cancellable) rooms at this one as an insurance policy, York hotels book up well ahead.

http://www.premierinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do?hotelId=24153&iscsell=

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186346-d283331-Reviews-Premier_Inn_York_City_Centre-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html

I'm very happy to run with this if people are interested.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  09:51:05  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tina

York's very south if you live in Aberdeen - we were including Scotland in our geographical calculations! Definitely Travelodge or something like that, York is good for that as there are a load of hotels of all shapes and prices there. I've booked a couple of (cancellable) rooms at this one as an insurance policy, York hotels book up well ahead.

http://www.premierinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do?hotelId=24153&iscsell=

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186346-d283331-Reviews-Premier_Inn_York_City_Centre-York_North_Yorkshire_England.html

I'm very happy to run with this if people are interested.

I'd love to come but that hotel is 78.00 a night and that is way out of my price range so looks like I'll have to leave it
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  10:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Caryne, there's likely offers to be had nearer the time. Rooms are twins as well so if you don't mind sharing its only half the price. There are loads of B&Bs etc in York as well. I'm conscious of cost, I'm retired now so my budget is far from limitless!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  10:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes of course - though we will all be meeting up, we do not necessarily need to stay at the same hotel. Tina's right....York is crammed with all manner of accomodation. Another reason to go for York is that Love were playing in Yorkshire exactly forty years before: Leeds on 6 March and Sheffield 7 March 1970.
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  10:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That seals it John9, its meant to be!

If you build it, they will come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_Dreams
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  12:54:24  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Caryne, there's likely offers to be had nearer the time. Rooms are twins as well so if you don't mind sharing its only half the price. There are loads of B&Bs etc in York as well. I'm conscious of cost, I'm retired now so my budget is far from limitless!

I've found hotels tend to get more expensive nearer the time not cheaper, especially Travel Lodges (which are already charging 60.00 a night at that date). I think I'll have to pass as thinking about it logically (rather than illogically!!) I just can't afford it. Hope it all goes really well.
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  15:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm going away for a month from tomorrow but I'm really keen to get this off the ground, I'll check in from my travels as and when I can to see what's happening. Bye for now.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  17:15:41  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm going away for a month from tomorrow but I'm really keen to get this off the ground, I'll check in from my travels as and when I can to see what's happening. Bye for now.

Have a great time on your travels, Tina. Hope it's somewhere nice

Edited by - caryne on 01/11/2009 17:16:15
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  18:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hong Kong and Australia - hurrah!!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  18:08:11  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hong Kong and Australia - hurrah!!

Lovely
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  20:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of nights in York might be interesting...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  21:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another anniversary for you. On this very day....1st November, 866.....York was captured by the Danes and put to fire and sword......no hard feelings, Torben! I'm sure that the Love community's invasion of the city next March will be an altogether gentler affair! Tina - thanks for getting this underway - and have a great trip. From Hong Kong, the former Portuguese territory of Macau is only a short hydrofoil ride away....and is well worth visiting

Edited by - John9 on 01/11/2009 22:01:57
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  23:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd definitely be interested in your plans Tina - I probably won't be able to commit until a bit closer to the time but it sounds like a good idea to me.

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page