New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  06:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love jazz and thought we could talk about it here. Was listening to Miles' "Kind of Blue" the other day, which got out my Oscar Peterson LP..........then Eddie Harris...

Who do you love?

Here is some nice piano Jazz from Paul Sullivan solo...he is also a member of the Paul Winter Consort. A good starter CD is "Nights in The Gardens of Maine". He relocated to Maine about 30 years ago from NYC and lives near where I used to live on the coast. www.rivermusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYJR_8imItc Song Of The High Country with video of inland Maine

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/08/2009 06:23:48

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  17:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pretty good!...man I have a long way to go to appreciate jazz...I haven't listened to much of it...got to get the ears "tuned"...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  20:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

pretty good!...man I have a long way to go to appreciate jazz...I haven't listened to much of it...got to get the ears "tuned"...

There are so many facets of jazz and so many "kinds" of jazz...any thing from Duke Ellington, to Lena Horn, to Miles Davis to John Coltrane to the free form jazz of Tim Buckley. The jazz fusion influenced John McLaughlin or latin fusion jazz of Santana, jazz fusion rock of Blood Sweat and Tears.
You LOVE jazz, rocker!!!

You probably like more jazz than you know. Many think of JAZZ as something totally foreign...a different musical language. Some is. But some has roots in blues, rock, folk and country to vaudeville.

Dixieland jazz, pop jazz, free form...there are as many forms of JAZZ as there are of pop/rock.

I'll post some more of my favorites.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/08/2009 20:44:36
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  00:09:28  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'A love Supreme' by John Coltrane is a sublime piece of music.

You are right, saying you like 'Jazz' could mean anything, it's just like saying you like 'Rock' it's a huge field with many sub divisions.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  02:25:50  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes....Love Supreme! ya beat me to it!
Charlie Byrd,too.
Stan Getz was so smooth!
and here's Chico Hamilton with our own, Arthur Lee, that you all heard already, but is worthy of another listen!:
http://lovearthurlee.com/?page_id=16

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  19:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was checking my jazz collection...Kinda Blue, Koln Concert Keith Jarrett..is that concert really "jazz"????, Herbie Mann Memphis Underground, I have way to go as u all can see...I was watching a French New Wave film the other day and there was some jazz playing in there....you know small cafe type...that music was cooler than cool.......film was from the 60's.....
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  19:49:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fine of Wes Montgomery who in my humble opinion ranks in the top 5 greatest guitar players of all time sweet disorder poll.

He loved his octaves
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  00:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The sweet disorder

I'm a big fine of Wes Montgomery who in my humble opinion ranks in the top 5 greatest guitar players of all time sweet disorder poll.

He loved his octaves

For sure!!

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
547 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  11:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

He loved his octaves

Where would Jimi Hendrix and Billy Corgan have been without Wes' influence?

I like Kenny Burrell too, much from the same school as Wes. Benson had his moments, until he went all soully slush, though seems thankfully to have gone back to his roots now.

Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis is one of my favourite chilling out albums. Bizarrely, it's also very good music to paint your house to!!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  17:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

quote:

He loved his octaves

Where would Jimi Hendrix and Billy Corgan have been without Wes' influence?

I like Kenny Burrell too, much from the same school as Wes. Benson had his moments, until he went all soully slush, though seems thankfully to have gone back to his roots now.

Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis is one of my favourite chilling out albums. Bizarrely, it's also very good music to paint your house to!!

Before Benson "sold Out" in the 70's he was admired by jazz fanz everywhere.....The Other Side Of Abby Road ia pretty amazing. But that was it. The all the 70's pop. Glad to hear his return to form on youtube.

Kind Of Blue is my Chill out Miles LP.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page