Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 19

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9697 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  23:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...such great and fertile ground here.....

Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Poco, Dillard & Clark>Eagles, CSN& sometimes Y,Flying Burritos, Desert Rose Band....what am I forgetting?

And Moby Grape...

Manassas, Souther Hillman Furay Band, McGuinn Clark & Hillman, and the endless solo gems from Stephen, Neil, David, Roger, Gene, Chris, Graham Nash, Gram Parsons...

---------------------------------------------

Gene solo

Get Two Sides To Every Story if you can!!!!

Some music from my all time favorite...
GENE CLARK

Give My Love TO Marie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg1kJ6K0_-A&feature=related

and the brilliant "Past Addresses"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4YOHVzLjgI

Perfect.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 20/05/2013 17:30:37

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  23:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great topic, Lemonadekid. My favourite Buffalo Springfield song is Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing.....combining of course, the songwriting genius of Neil Young with the vocal talent of Richie Furay. Buffalo Springfield Again is, I think, their best album - and its cover is for me the number one LP cover of all time.

Renaissance Fair (off Younger Than Yesterday) represents The Byrds at an absolute peak - and, as is acknowledged in the sleevenotes on Buffalo Springfield Again, was the inspiration for Stephen Stills' Rock and Roll Woman. As for best Byrds lineup - I know that the McGuinn/White/Parsons/Battin quartet will always hold a special place in many peoples' affections....at least as a performing band. But John York told me last summer that he felt The Byrds ceased to be a commercial challenge to The Beatles the day Gene Clark left. But ironically, Clark's leaving allowed Crosby and Hillman to emerge as powerful songwriters....thus enabling Younger Than Yesterday and The Notorious Byrd Brothers to become two of the most innovative albums of all time. So that is definitely my favourite era from the band's history. But then again, I played the remastered Byrdmaniax today ...complete with its bonus tracks - and I loved it!

Edited by - John9 on 15/02/2009 23:58:32
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  01:20:49  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
that 1st Buffalo album gets me every time. right in the gut.
i have a hard time picking Byrds.
"mr tambourine man" hits my magic recall button!." bells of rhythmney", ad the title track!
-"turnturnturn".....now we're flying! now that's the record that changed me.
"setyoufreethistime"....i LOVE this Gene record!!!!!
"FIFTH D".......OOOOOH!
This one has "8 miles high"!!!!!! what's not to LOVE? THIS RECORD changed me, again. magic!
"younger than yesterday"...."Why" is on this album! god it's good!
"NOTORIOUS BYRD BROS"......wow! it contains " goin' back"!!!
i get tears and the lump in my throat from this album!

.....as an interesting synchronisticy:
i was lucky enough to attend the May 2nd , 1966 concert at the Valley Music Theater in Woodland Hills (San Fernado Valley) ,where (on the same show):
The Byrds(with Gene Clark)
The Buffalo Springfield
The Dillards
played on a revolving stage in the middle of the theater!
the place is gone now, to history, but WOW, I'm grateful to have been there! i shoulda filmed it, but i was too naturally high to fuction!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  01:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a major recommendation for Springfield fans; Richie's new live
CD, entitled appropriately enough "Alive," is pretty amazingly good.
A testament of sorts to living a healthy life-style, Richie sounds as
strong vocally as ever, and does killer versions of virtually every
Buffalo and Poco song you'd want to hear him do. Available at his
web-site for those who aren't able to see him perform live and pick
up a copy at the show. Definitely a "must own" for Buffalo Springfield
fans; you'll be glad you made the effort to get it, guaranteed.
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  01:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Buff Springfield Retrospective album, Richie F. sings the vocals for On The Way Home. I'm 99% sure this was a Neil Young song.
I always wondered why he didn't sing it back then. Anyone have a clue?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9697 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2009 :  02:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

On the Buff Springfield Retrospective album, Richie F. sings the vocals for On The Way Home. I'm 99% sure this was a Neil Young song.
I always wondered why he didn't sing it back then. Anyone have a clue?

NOTE: edits and changes....as I researched more!

Neil was very insecure about his vocal talents, just as he passed on the lead vocal for Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing.

Neil has become one of the strongest proponents of his music over the years so I think part of that may be true since he didn't stand up to the producers and take the "lead"......but also.....

..... another account is that the producers of their first album thought Neil's voice was too "weird" so the vocal assignment went to Richie. I believe the latter to be most true since they would have the say during the recording. Glad it didn't get Neil "down"!!!....forty years later and still going strong!!!!! But it's hard to say, maybe both, but thank goodness he sang on the other songs (my favorites)....so maybe Clancy & On The Way... took Neil's voice into a range that was deemed out of his range?? He was definitely "different" vocally!!

For "On The Way Home", Neil just may not have been around to complete the recording since no more that 2 or 3 members were together at once throughout the LAST TIME AROUND sessions. That's why Steve and Richie are featured most....they pieced together tracks from over the last years to compile the album. Neil's portrait was even added to the cover since he wasn't around for the shoot & the band was already history.

He does a great job of both on the archives "Sugar Mountain Live 1968" new release.

What a show, bob!!!! & Thanks for the recommendation for Richie"s new one, Rick.. For me he WAS early Poco!

Another cool link between Byrds & Springfield.....Chris Hillman pushed to get Buffalo Springfield booked at the Whiskey & they promptly became the house band for 7 weeks and electrified audiences (and music biz insiders) with their amazing performances. Exposure accomplished......the rest is history. Thanks chris.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 16/02/2009 19:32:25
Go to Top of Page

TJSAbass
Fourth Love

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  00:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sunset Strip was definitely one of the coolest places on earth in 1965-66. One thing about Springfield, I wish "Down to the Wire" had been released on an album. The box set has the version with Stills singing, but the one with Neil's superior vocal is only to my knowledge available on Decade. Neil's lyrics on this ("Take the time to close your eyes/and look around"), "Clancy", "Flying On the Ground...", "Mr. Soul", blow my mind. Awesome stuff. And he claims (in Shakey) he didn't trip! I don't know what to think about that. Disc 4 in the box set with the mono 1st LP/stereo Again pairing was one of my favorites for a road trip. UNTIL it got ripped off from my truck while I was at a Love show in Cleveland in 2004.

My favorite Byrds LP's are Younger Than Yesterday and Notorious Byrd Bros. It's a shame they fell apart when they did. If they had been allowed to develop more slowly and naturally, by gigging on the Strip before all the touring, maybe they would have lasted longer in the original lineup. We can only wonder what that would have meant for Love, as they benefitted greatly by the Byrds absence.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  01:23:25  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i would like a cd of only the unreleased songs from that box set, like "...wire", and "Falcon Lake" to avoid spending the money on all the tracks i already have. just a rarities release.
"Falcon Lake" is a beautiful instrumental.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  15:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh heh you know I think rock after the late 60's was "invented" by the Beatles, Byrds and the "Buffs"! So much talent that you guys are talking about with those bands. That first Springfield album is real fine. Each song is crafted so well. I'll always remember when I first heard it.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9697 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2009 :  17:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i would like a cd of only the unreleased songs from that box set, like "...wire", and "Falcon Lake" to avoid spending the money on all the tracks i already have. just a rarities release.
"Falcon Lake" is a beautiful instrumental.

A friend of mine has a boot of "Stampede" on vinyl....are those unreleased tracks from that legendary, unreleased "second album" session?

I gotta get him to let me record it!

Your right Rocker....three of the most influential bands...ever. I left out The Beatles here, although their connections with the Byrds are many.
They met, of course, during the famous UK tour when BRYAN left for home and then LOve!! David Crosby was into the sitar & Ravi Shankar long before Harrison. When the Beatles visited the Byrds in the USA they were all sitting around together when David started playing some sitar-like licks and George said "what's that?".
David told him about Ravi and his music and that's how we got all those great Harrison/sitar tracks. (That story is straight from a McGuinn interview, right Rick?!! )

Edited by - lemonade kid on 17/02/2009 17:55:37
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  14:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know back then there was this big melting pot of musicians and creativity just bursting at the seams. Hey where did it go today????
Oh of course there's talent and all and music is being made but it looks to me modern music today has lost something. I don't know. Is it really the music moguls who run things that have mucked up the industry? has tech ruined it/ And is there really a problem? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me back at the time we're discussing has to be the height of where music could go and we saw its results..great music being produced by colloborative efforts. It was nirvana.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  15:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

One truly great Byrds song that almost never gets mentioned is My New Woman ... from Roger McGuinn's 1973 solo debut album. It features all five original Byrds backed by saxophonist, Charles Lloyd. It has a swirling and ethereal feel to it and at the time, 'Rolling Stone' compared it to Tribal Gathering and Dolphins Smile. It is believed that the song was recorded during the sessions for the Byrds reunion album (on Asylum)in late 1972 - but it is way ahead of anything on that......oh alright then......anything except the Gene Clark songs!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9697 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  18:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

One truly great Byrds song that almost never gets mentioned is My New Woman ... from Roger McGuinn's 1973 solo debut album. It features all five original Byrds backed by saxophonist, Charles Lloyd. It has a swirling and ethereal feel to it and at the time, 'Rolling Stone' compared it to Tribal Gathering and Dolphins Smile. It is believed that the song was recorded during the sessions for the Byrds reunion album (on Asylum)in late 1972 - but it is way ahead of anything on that......oh alright then......anything except the Gene Clark songs!

Right, John. Gene Clark was always ahead of his time. A real ground breaker. I guess it's no coincidence that two of my all time favorite solo artist's are Gene Clark & Neil Young. And Roger has done some amazing solo work.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9697 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  18:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put on "HUNG UPSIDE DOWN" and rock on!!

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  21:50:22  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
playin hung upside down now! aint it good!
"bluebird" on the 45 single and 'retrospective" is the electric version, instead of the banjo. i like both, and remember when all i heard was that earlier electric guitar middle section part, then soon, never heard it again without the banjo version.
they did create guitar sounds i never heard before, or even after!
like pedal steel/sitar, with fuzz, and all their own sound!
I've always thought "Burned" (1st lp) was about getting bad drugs,
or drugs that do nothing! i'm projecting!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9697 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  06:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

playin hung upside down now! aint it good!
"bluebird" on the 45 single and 'retrospective" is the electric version, instead of the banjo. i like both, and remember when all i heard was that earlier electric guitar middle section part, then soon, never heard it again without the banjo version.
they did create guitar sounds i never heard before, or even after!
like pedal steel/sitar, with fuzz, and all their own sound!
I've always thought "Burned" (1st lp) was about getting bad drugs,
or drugs that do nothing! i'm projecting!

My info is from what I've read and you know how reliable that can be, but an episode brought on by strobing lights while on-stage due to his epilepsy is my understanding,,,,that's what "Burned" was about...but many songs have double meanings and most artists would likely say that whatever you get from their song(s), that's what it's about, FOR YOU!!!

I remember trying to figure out "Last Trip To Tulsa". Used to drive me crazy. Then I heard Neil say it was just a dream...a stream of consciousness song. Now I love it more.

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page