New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  22:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to write about 60's music memories. Somehow I feel the need to do this...'ere I pass.

In Philadelphia during the 60's, once the smaller venues passed into oblivion, The Spectrum, where Flyers (Hockey) and 76er's (Basketball) games took place, became the venue for seeing bands. About 18,000 people could attend. In the summer of '69, the 1st Spectrum Music Festival was held. The following is a list of bands and the dates they played.

Sat/July 5

The James Brown Show, Young-Holt Unlimited, Tyrone Davis, and Nipsey Russell

Spectrum Pop Festival Friday/July 11

Sly and the Family Stone, Mothers of Invention, Ten Years After, Jeff Beck, Savoy Brown

Spectrum Pop Festival day 2 Sat/July 12

Blood, Sweat and Tears, Edwin Hawkins Singers, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Winter, Al Kooper, Jethro Tull, Buddy Guy Blues Band

Spectrum Soul Sat/July 26

Wilson Pickett, Jojo Benson and Peggy Scott Band, Jr. Walker and the All Stars, Ollie and the Nightingales, Pigmeat (Here Comes the Judge) Markham, The Five Stairsteps and Cubie, Cliff Nobles and Company, The Midnight Movers, Joe Tex and his Orchestra and Revue

Sat/Aug 2

Miss Nancy Wilson with the Jimmy Smith Trio, Ramsey Lewis, Friends of Distinction, Eddie Harris Quintet, Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra

Fri/Aug 15

The Fifth Dimension with Nina Simone, Mongo Santamaria, Herbie Mann Quintet, Newport All Stars with Red Norvo, Tal Farlow, George Wein, Ruby Braff, Don Lamond, and Larry Ridley, and the Miles Davis Quintet

Festival of Music Fri/Aug 29

Chet Atkins, Boots Randolph, Floyd Cramer

The cost of the tickets was like $10 a show. By 1967, I had enough of soul music and Motown, so I really wasn't interested in most of the shows. I attended the Spectrum Pop Festival on both days. I had only seen The Mothers, Savoy Brown, and Sly prior to the event. So it was a first for me seeing Ten Years After, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Winter, Al Kooper, Jethro Tull, and Buddy Guy.

Needless to say, both shows were terrific. Jimmy Page was playing his guitar with a viola bow-can you believe that- [LOL]. And an albino Blues guitar player playing an American Standard Steel Guitar at times . And some guy making pretend he was the Pied Piper or something, playing flute on one leg. {this was what I was thinking back then}. Well, I went on to see Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, and Johnny Winter many more times after that. I even went to the Fillmore East in NYC to see Ten Years After that winter-I was so impressed by them.

And if you're wondering how I remember all of this, it's simple. I have the set-lists for each band. Just kidding . But I do still have the program book, and I like to think about my memories.

Edited by - Allan on 04/11/2004 00:30:29
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page