Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  01:21:28  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm playing, " Gene Clark", an A&M comp. with Clark sitting in front of a full moon on cover. has " spanish guitar", and "one in a hundred"
i guess this is " White Light" tracks, and others.
i really love "Roadmaster"! "Here Tonight" is GREAT!
" Full Circle Song" is magic!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  15:50:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes you got the White Light...it's not written on the cover...and I agree on his Here Tonight as well..a fine song...I liked it on the Byrds reunion record as well....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  00:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Riders of the Purple Sage...."Panama Red" QUAD !!! vinyl......haven't had a chance to listen o I don't know if it is a different mix like Bridge Over Troubled Waters or Volunteers!!

Sweet find....$12 US

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  01:45:17  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
lk.....QUAD!? I enjoy my CD Panama Red, and wonder what kind of equipment is needed to hear quad music, besides the 2 in front, 2 in back ,speakers. I have the poor man's fake quad set-up of 2 in front,
2 behind (double stereo). but true quad surround sound must sound cool!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  06:32:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a friend/roommate/fighter pilot that who's father was a Col. in the Air Force that sent him a QUAD system by post from Japan. My top o' the line Sony stereo went out to my bedroom...and ya, QUAD was pretty cool all right.....four channels instead of two!!

Just that little extra $$ for the LPs and having to get a QUAD system kept them from taking off. They actually sound really great on regular stereo and turns out the mixes can be quite different. "The Boxer" on my S&G record is like a totally different take, as are a few other tracks. I've read that the Airplane's "Volunteer" Quad has one track that is four minutes longer than the regular stereo!

So I can't wait to hear this one..but I'm away for a few days so I can't play it!! But I'll let you all know!

No Quad LoVE out there...damn!! Did Elektra even do QUAD?

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  14:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting question...as well as perhaps Sgt Pepper? Dark Side of Moon?...I never had the opportunity to listen to quad.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  17:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Playing Panama Red QUAD....sounds fantastic! They always sold QUAD as sounding good on stereo players too. I don't have stereo vinyl to compare for alternate mixes, but I'm very happy to have a rarity that most have never seen. I'm guessing RW saw them live a lot back in the day.

Just a lonesome LA cowboy....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJ8K9bf0Rc

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  19:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Interesting question...as well as perhaps Sgt Pepper? Dark Side of Moon?...I never had the opportunity to listen to quad.

The only QUAD releases I know of by (POST)Beatles is "Walls and Bridges" and "Venus and Mars"/"Band on the Run". By others....in QUAD

>JA's Volunteers (using totally different takes, not just mixes) goes for quite a lot.
>Bitches Brew
>Court and Spark, Hissing of Summer LAwns
>"Autobahn"
>Beck's "Wired"
>Paranoid by Sabbath
>Atom Heart Mother, Wish You Were Here
>Aqualung
>King Biscuit Flour Hour with the Rolling Stones!!
>Music From Big Pink
>Can't Buy A Thrill, Countdown To Ecstasy
>The Smoker You Get
....and "Bridge Over..." & "Panama Red"!!

and a bunch of MOR albums....why do they release so many "Audiophile" remasters by MOR artists, instead of rock music that would knock our socks off....I know the answer.....$$$$$.

A&M was one of a few labels to release QUADRAPHONIC in all three period formats....

I guess on the "Autobahn" QUAD the automobile sounds PING from speaker to speaker, making you feel like you're lost in the middle of traffic!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  22:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx....I'ev read that also another reason quad never took off was that some thought it too "gimmicky". Sounds like it meant the experience of hearing it wasn't natural. I'd think we were made for stereo, eh??
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  23:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

thx....I'ev read that also another reason quad never took off was that some thought it too "gimmicky". Sounds like it meant the experience of hearing it wasn't natural. I'd think we were made for stereo, eh??

Ya...kind of like guitar, organ, bass. drums all relegated to four corners. It works well in stereo though, as it moves the four channels down to two.

But, of course, we really hear in mono, full wall of sound, Phil Spector kind of thing...unless there is a wide separation between musicians & you're close enough to detect it.

New recording/mixing is actually infinite multi-channel mono.

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  01:03:31  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
quad is a GREAT idea! especially for environmental records!
Amazon forest, surrounded by birds and monkeys! cool!
is there a quad version of ELECTRIC LADYLAND ?
now, THAT'S an album to hear in quad!!! especially the ....mermaid segway psychout portion! can it circle AROUND our heads!?
another candidate for quad: "The Fool" (and the rest of this album )by the Quicksilver Messenger Service. masterpiece.
Notorious Byrd Brothers would be good in quad. very trippy recording allows for the extra dimension! speaking of dimensions..."Fifth Dimension" ,too!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  02:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately QUAD was around in the early 70's and they almost exclusively issued new releases.....some reissues from the MOR and classical vein I think. But no Ladyland or Peppers or QSM "The Fool". The Doors Greatest Hits double LP came out in QUAD.....but can you imagine "The END" in QUAD?

Wheels of Fire would have been amazing!! Zappa is on Quad...two of the early 70's releases! I'm sure they are cool!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 05/08/2009 02:46:43
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  14:05:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know all this talk of quad kind of makes me go back (and I know I'm dating myself!!) when I use to listen to my little red transistor radio and it came with a little leather case. The sounds! heh heh the amount of bass that came out was like sparrow squeak. From that little red thing I heard 'Be My Baby', 'Walking in the Rain', 'Image of a Girl'..'I Should've Known Better'..'Donna the Prima Donna'..it was then that I learned to rock........
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  15:56:52  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
rocker...ya...i had one of those little "crystal" A.M. radios that had the alligator clip to ground it to metal. one ear-plug.
...you said, "i'm dating myself". I hope you're getting some!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2009 :  17:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very good bobeee!!!.....rock on kid... and here's to transistors!....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page