Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2009 :  21:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered my Beatles Mono Masters Box. It's limited to 10,000 and from what I understand..that will be it. No more. And none sold individually. Stereo will always be available.

It IS pretty cool in that each album will be just as released on vinyl.....the (mini) gatefolds, posters, inserts, white album photos, inner sleeves...and an extra CD of all mono singles that never made it on to LPs. I believe the CDs will include Quicktime mp4s of period filming of the recording of each of the albums.

MONO is of course the only way to go for me!! The way they were ALWAYS intended to be heard, with all the subtle sounds and tweaks by Martin and Beatles.....NO Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road or Let it Be as they were done in stereo only...monos would just be mix downs.

Anyone else?

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  10:56:26  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

I ordered my Beatles Mono Masters Box. It's limited to 10,000 and from what I understand..that will be it. No more. And none sold individually. Stereo will always be available.

It IS pretty cool in that each album will be just as released on vinyl.....the (mini) gatefolds, posters, inserts, white album photos, inner sleeves...and an extra CD of all mono singles that never made it on to LPs. I believe the CDs will include Quicktime mp4s of period filming of the recording of each of the albums.

MONO is of course the only way to go for me!! The way they were ALWAYS intended to be heard, with all the subtle sounds and tweaks by Martin and Beatles.....NO Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road or Let it Be as they were done in stereo only...monos would just be mix downs.

Anyone else?

I agree with you 100%, it really gets me annoyed how people try to make money by altering original recordings. I want to hear them how they were meant to be heard not fiddled around with
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  17:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see the attraction in the original mono mixes - but there's no way I would want to be without Abbey Road and Let It Be...and so it would be the stereo box for me. When EMI began to issue the Beatles' catalogue on CD in 1987, the releases received ecstatic reviews. This was because a lot of time had been taken to ensure that the quality was of the best available at that time...compared with say, the very first CD edition of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon which by all accounts was mastered from an ordinary cassette tape! Digital technology though of course has since heightened the expectations of many listeners so that what was once thought of as high quality is now considered as old hat. It's a pity because I'm still very fond of the Beatles CD collection I've had for all these years - it still suits my low fidelity hearing really well.....and I'm especially mindful of what George Martin wrote in the CD booklet for Sgt Pepper all those years ago:

"it must be be nothing less than the most important and revealing compact disc release there can ever be"

I do hope that we are not about to be treated to a triumph of style over substance!

Edited by - John9 on 30/07/2009 17:30:44
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  17:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right. It's amazing how little respect the record companies had, even then, for their artists' works...even the huge money makers like the Fabs were reated pretty badly here in the US with Capitol.

Beatles would spend weeks at the sound board mixing and tweeking a new album until they brought out everything they desired from each song AND always in mono right up to 1968. No one in the UK would accept the inferior quality that was STEREO up until then. The stereo was given over to the company dudes who were known to spend little time...sometimes only half an hour, putting down the stereo for a track.

Even though Peppers is a nice sound experience and the engineers did a cracker jack job....it still is not what the BEATLES wished for and as you've heard many times....John said, "You've never heard Sgt Peppers until you've heard it in MONO."

Here's to getting what you paid for!! Cheers ALL!

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2009 :  22:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I can see the attraction in the original mono mixes - but there's no way I would want to be without Abbey Road and Let It Be...and so it would be the stereo box for me. When EMI began to issue the Beatles' catalogue on CD in 1987, the releases received ecstatic reviews. This was because a lot of time had been taken to ensure that the quality was of the best available at that time...compared with say, the very first CD edition of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon which by all accounts was mastered from an ordinary cassette tape! Digital technology though of course has since heightened the expectations of many listeners so that what was once thought of as high quality is now considered as old hat. It's a pity because I'm still very fond of the Beatles CD collection I've had for all these years - it still suits my low fidelity hearing really well.....and I'm especially mindful of what George Martin wrote in the CD booklet for Sgt Pepper all those years ago:

"it must be be nothing less than the most important and revealing compact disc release there can ever be"

I do hope that we are not about to be treated to a triumph of style over substance!

It's definitely touted as the best Beatles sound ever, as they were lifted directly from the original analog masters. I'm guessing some of the stereo will be the best STEREO on early Beatle's album we've EVER heard.

And I hear ya, J9 about the ones not included in the MONO box....but you know me. I have the original vinyl and so the stereo box is redundant for me....as stereo was getting pretty damn good by the time those LPs were released.

I'm hoping they will eventually release the stereo CDs separately....I think I read they would eventually...then I cann have my cake and eat it too!!!

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  00:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemonadekid - the stereo versions will definitely be available individually - and the price has just fallen significantly in the UK at least.....so you'll be in seventh heaven! .......in fact you've got me thinking now - that could be the ideal combination ...save me some of that cake!

Edited by - John9 on 31/07/2009 00:10:30
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  05:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lemonadekid - the stereo versions will definitely be available individually - and the price has just fallen significantly in the UK at least.....so you'll be in seventh heaven! .......in fact you've got me thinking now - that could be the ideal combination ...save me some of that cake!

OK! I saved $60 at amazon with free postage.....when is the release date in the UK? I assume you all get first taste. Sept 9th here.....

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  13:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes Lemonadekid - the release date is September 9 here as well. It has just occured to me though that the Mono Masters will almost certainly not contain the non album singles from 1969 and 1970...Get Back/Don't Let Me Down; Ballad of John and Yoko/Old Brown Shoe and Let it Be/You Know My Name.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  18:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes Lemonadekid - the release date is September 9 here as well. It has just occured to me though that the Mono Masters will almost certainly not contain the non album singles from 1969 and 1970...Get Back/Don't Let Me Down; Ballad of John and Yoko/Old Brown Shoe and Let it Be/You Know My Name.

NO? I hope so.... It was stated that they will include ALL mono singles NOT included on any album on a bonus CD. Haven't seen the track listing. That would be sweet . I love "You Know My Name"!!!! It never appeared on an album. Since there was not a MONO LP that could have had them on it, but some were on an LP....Hey Jude album. Hope the mono versions will be included.....

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  20:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we're gonna be treated aren't we in a few weeks,eh? You know it looks like I may go for the mono stuff but john makes a good point on those others in stereo. lk I think has made me aware a bit that I kind of like mono better.... What I think will be really great is when we get these new recordings we'll see how their sound evolved from a making a living as a live, touring band and then going into the studio to make their songs. Hey, who knows? We may hear some new stuff in there we never picked up on. Looking forward to this like all of you. As Lennon said they "were just a great little rock'n'roll band". He said if we wanted to reminisce we've got all the old records to isten to. Now we're going to hear those old records on another level.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  20:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And...picked up a Gene Clark cd in a bin yesterday. It was the "White Light" record. One thing you have to say about his work he was a real introspective song writer. Definitely a unique writer. "For a Spanish Guitar" is just great.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  20:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Rocker - you did well with that Gene Clark CD - White Light I feel, is one of his very best - and of course, it is packed with bonus tracks. As regards the Fabs, after some feelings of doubt, I shall be definitely be making the investment. I played Past Masters 1 today and I can see how the sound might be improved.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  21:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I got lucky. I'm going on another expedition today since I'm off from work. Some nice tracks on that record. Now I can see why Clark was such an integral part of the Byrds. I know he came from a "country" background but his lyrics take his music onto another level and add much to how he sings his songs.

Regarding the Past Masters. I'm also not too enamored with the sound of them at all. I hardly play those cds. I'd rather go to the red and blue album pressings or the later Capitol releases.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2009 :  23:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love that GENE LP too, guys. I've had the A&M vinyl for years and still love it. Dylan said he would have been proud to have written Spanish Guitar himself. I've had some ask me if that was a Dylan song.
I say NO, even better, it's by Gene Clark!

I got the Rhinoceros ST CD today. Loved the original back in '68 and now I have it for the car. Best driving album!!!

Oh yeah!! Picked up Quicksilver Messenger Service "new double" vinyl "Live at Carousel Ballroom, 4th April 1968". The cover is an exact repro of their first LP....with the "live" text at the bottom.
It has Back Door Man and if possible, an even better version of "Who Do You Love"...more immediate anyway, as if you're right there in the ballroom!!
AND a live version of something they rarely did live...The Fool.

It's on CD too. Get it!!

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  10:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hokie Joint - "The Way It Goes.... Sometimes" Best album I've heard in a while!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page