Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  14:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'Romano Hip Hop' by Gipsy.cz. It does exactly what it says on the tin! A nice mix of traditional Roma music with some banging hip hip beats! : )

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  20:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The New Tweedy Brothers 1968, SF folk/rock/jug band/psych.

The original cover was a hexagonal, 2-D cube (LSD sugar cube!! ),
foil finished, tri-gatefold....designed by a band member that was so expensive to produce that the band hand-folded, glued & inserted the LPs themselves. Problem--it wouldn't fit in the record bins, so it sat behind the counters and died a slow death.

A great musical experience that is available on CD and vinyl reissues. originals go for $800 (dog eared) to $4000 still sealed!! No. I don't have an original!

One of the most highly sought after psych LPs.....check it out guys!!
Here's a full review in the SF Weekly....

http://www.sfweekly.com/2008-08-20/music/the-new-tweedy-bros-craft-one-of-rock-s-most-collectible-lps&page=12

Edited by - lemonade kid on 18/03/2009 20:53:39
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2009 :  18:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more nice vinyl I just snared....

-Kinks Are Village Green Preservation Society (original two-tone steamboat Reprise)

-Golden Earring "Eight Miles High" on Atlantic

-Steeleye Span
"Hark the Village Wait"
"Please to see the King"
"All Around My Hat"
"Ten man Mop" (with a different cover, has anyone seen the one on
Mooncrest with a live shot on the top 1/2; bottom half in
red,with circles with each
member across the bottom & the tracks in the middle..kind of
ugly, but rarer.

-Fairport
"Rising for the Moon"
"Moveable Feast"
"Tipler's Tale" still sealed (looks interesting with "John Barleycorn" & Hair of The Dogma", Jack O'Rion Lineup has Swarbrick, Nichol & Pegg....I love Swarbrick's fiddling anytime.

-Pentangle
"Basket of Light"
"Cruel Sister"

-Bert Jansch Sampler 1969
-Bert & John 1966

-Chris Hillman "Clear Sailing"...is this a good one?? I got it without hearing it...but it's Chris!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/03/2009 18:14:52
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  06:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moby Grape, "The Time And The Place" double LP.

Get it while you can, as I just got the vinyl, but the CD has been delayed....!!??

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  18:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First three Stackridge albums, bought at recent gig, to replace ancient cassette copies. A number of real classics on them: Syracuse the Elephant, Dora The Female Explorer, Lummy Days, Fundamentally Yours, Purple Spaceships Over Yatton, Teatime (first song ever played at the Glastonbury Festival) and of course, their traditional show-closer, Slark.

Anyone else out there remember this lot?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  23:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

First three Stackridge albums, bought at recent gig, to replace ancient cassette copies. A number of real classics on them: Syracuse the Elephant, Dora The Female Explorer, Lummy Days, Fundamentally Yours, Purple Spaceships Over Yatton, Teatime (first song ever played at the Glastonbury Festival) and of course, their traditional show-closer, Slark.

OK, so now I gotta check out Stackridge!! Which do you recommend for starters? The song titles sound a bit folky iconic....what's the scoop, boomer.

Listening to my John Renbourn Sampler LP....very nice..."Lord Franklin" with Jacqui and Bert backing. Sweet. My OTHER favorite UK female singer. Love Jaqui...still going strong.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 24/04/2009 23:59:31
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  12:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Timo Gross - Desire
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  19:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim Buckley Dream Letter....live double!

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  11:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Love that album. It was my first Buckley album after hearing 'Buzzin' Fly' on a compilation - couldn't choose which studio album to get, so went for my tried and tested maxim, find out if an artist is good live, then they are worth listening to. I know many critics prefer the Live in London single CD, but the combination of instruments on DL really works for me.

As for Stackridge, the best of compilation "Purple Spaceships Over Yatton" is probably as good a place as any. The 2007 live album, 'The Forbidden City' gives you an idea of where they are now and is an excellent introduction - they have too many great songs to be limited to a single disc. As for the studio albums, the George Martin-produced 'The Man In the Bowler Hat' is often lauded as their highest achievement, though I prefer the first two albums, 'Stackridge' and 'Friendliness' - especially the second, which is chock full of wonderful songs, including my favourite Stackridge tune and the best song ever about a pachyderm, 'Syracuse The Elephant'.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  19:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Love that album. It was my first Buckley album after hearing 'Buzzin' Fly' on a compilation - couldn't choose which studio album to get, so went for my tried and tested maxim, find out if an artist is good live, then they are worth listening to. I know many critics prefer the Live in London single CD, but the combination of instruments on DL really works for me.

As for Stackridge, the best of compilation "Purple Spaceships Over Yatton" is probably as good a place as any. The 2007 live album, 'The Forbidden City' gives you an idea of where they are now and is an excellent introduction - they have too many great songs to be limited to a single disc. As for the studio albums, the George Martin-produced 'The Man In the Bowler Hat' is often lauded as their highest achievement, though I prefer the first two albums, 'Stackridge' and 'Friendliness' - especially the second, which is chock full of wonderful songs, including my favourite Stackridge tune and the best song ever about a pachyderm, 'Syracuse The Elephant'.

Thanks for the ref.

I guess Happy/Sad is my favorite by Tim, along with Blue Afternoon.
Greetings From LA is often mentioned as a fav too...I'll have to revisit that one.

And about the double CD Dream Letter......Listening right now.....can't think what i would eliminate down to the single disc.

It's great & I'm all for the complete concert, highs and lows....though i can't find the lows!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/04/2009 22:29:18
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2009 :  01:59:19  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
listening to "Tim Buckley" (self-titled. 1969.) delicate and wonderful music indeed! strings: Jack Nitzsche, and Botnik, Holzman guiding the ship.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  00:10:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plastic Cloud on CD.....I have the vinyl. NOT the original which is on line for $3000 right now!!!

Well, it's supposed to be a MUST HAVE psychedelic gem...and I agree. Get it anyway you can. i've linked it here before, but it's worth repeating.....

a NEW video The Dainty General Rides.....a psych gem....gotchs Rocker!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rUjjiusVe0

and then the 9 minute classic Civilization Machine...amazing FUZZ for a trip back trip the 60's!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FC18UvffXI&feature=related

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  20:30:28  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

hoping to see Stackridge play live in November here in Somerset

Paris Journals at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  20:31:30  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just pre-ordered the new album from Levon Helm - Electric Dirt ..

Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  01:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve64

quote:

hoping to see Stackridge play live in November here in Somerset

Why wait that long? They are playing Bath on 24th July, a week or so after the new album comes out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page