Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  21:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard it so I can't help you with that one LK.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  21:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

Never heard it so I can't help you with that one LK.

Thanks anyway, ol' man. I've read it is one of the defining psychedelic Lps...quite a good songwriter & singer I guess.

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  16:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mantis by Umphreys McGee. One word: phenomenal! Imagine all the best bits of 70s/80s rock and 80s/90s prog played in a fresh way. UM have long been staples of the US jambands scene, but this one might just introduce them to a wider audience. Have only seen them live once, last year in London, where they stole the show from headliners, the Disco Biscuits, but will definitely try to do more than one show of their next UK tour if/when it happens.

(Others of theirs I also recommend are Safety In Numbers, Live At the Murat and Anchor Drops, which features the huge-hit-s ingle-which-wasn't, In The Kitchen, one of the best songs of the last ten years by anyone IMHO.)
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  19:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Martyn......"Solid Air". #67 on the Best all-time British album list. A NM vinyl. Very nice.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  14:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk...I just recently read that John Martyn passed away recently...he was a "changer"....
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  14:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..and I just went to its topic....good remarks...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  23:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A package arrived today with Gene Clark's double CD In Concert,Under The Silvery Moon(with Nicky Hopkins, Rick Danko among others) & Siverado '75..his first live concerts after recording No Other. If you get anything get Silverado with "Silver Raven", "No Other", "Set You Me Free This Time", "Train Leaves Here This Morning" among my favorites. (Thanks Rick for "In Concert" !! Fantastic!!)

Oh and a MISTAKE!! I thought I was getting Bow Street Runners' first LP form the 60's. It turned out to be "New Classic Music" (2000)...and it's amazingly wonderful new 60's psych...not a weak track anywhere!!!

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  23:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A package arrived today with Gene Clark's double CD In Concert,Under The Silvery Moon(with Nicky Hopkins, Rick Danko among others) & Siverado '75..his first live concerts after recording No Other. If you get anything get Silverado with "Silver Raven", "No Other", "Set You Free This Time", "Train Leaves Here This Morning" among my favorites. (Thanks Rick for "In Concert" !! Fantastic!!)

Oh and a MISTAKE!! I thought I was getting Bow Street Runners' first LP from the 60's. It turned out to be "New Classic Rock" (2000)...and it's amazingly wonderful new 60's psych...not a weak track anywhere!!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/02/2009 21:56:05
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  17:54:30  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
get the Bow Street Runners, self titled album, 1970. i have the Sundazed CD. IT'S GREAT!
why is all the crap so available, and the Good stuff hard to get!?

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  22:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

get the Bow Street Runners, self titled album, 1970. i have the Sundazed CD. IT'S GREAT!
why is all the crap so available, and the Good stuff hard to get!?

i don't know but maybe the harder the search, the sweeter the find. I'm tracking down the 1970 Sundazed vinyl now (you know me, LK-the vinyl nut). Thanks, bob!!

I just picked up Neil Young "Live At Merrill Hall 1971", double 180 gram vinyl. Really good solo concert-Neil on piano & guitar (not at the same time! ). Get it if you can!

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  03:20:38  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i like Gene Clark's " Roadmaster" cd. actually , it's my favorite Clark album. i think it is some kind of compilation, but anyways, it has :
one in a hundred
here tonight
full circle song
and more.
sneeky pete
hillman
michael clark
rick roberts
clarence white
mcguinn
crosby

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  04:54:31  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
bow street runners. 1970. sundazed records cd. great if you get it on vynle. priority is just get it now and dig it! vynal when you can. good luck!
my other push is for " The Fallen Angels" "the roulette masters part 2 of 2" on Collectables cd.
both of these recordings are amazing. DON'T wait for the vynal. just get the cds and search for the lps later. these are that good!

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  22:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Songs For Beginners by Graham Nash....a fellow Manchester lad. I had previously never invested in any of his solo work. But last week BBC 4 screened the Crosby and Nash In Concert show from 1971 - along with those from Neil Young, James Taylor and Joni Mitchell. The C and N set began with Nash's poignant A Simple Man - within the hour I had placed the order with Amazon. Rhino have revamped the album in exactly the same way they did for Crosby's If Only I Could Remember My Name.

Edited by - John9 on 14/02/2009 08:48:49
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2009 :  23:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

bow street runners. 1970. sundazed records cd. great if you get it on vynle. priority is just get it now and dig it! vynal when you can. good luck!
my other push is for " The Fallen Angels" "the roulette masters part 2 of 2" on Collectables cd.
both of these recordings are amazing. DON'T wait for the vynal. just get the cds and search for the lps later. these are that good!

Bob....if you can get Bow Street Runners "new" CD on Daxwood from 2000. It's called "New Rock Classics". It's damn good with psych, garage rock and jazz mixed in. Unfortunately, both Frank Hardwick & Steve Darling have passed away (around '06). They gave up the rights to their music way back when, so sadly, no one from the band gets any residuals from that first LP (1970)!! An all to common occurrence of managers etc taking advantage of kids in a band just trying to make the rent.

And, John!, I really like that one from Graham. I know that he does get a lot of credit for creating great music outside of Hollies/CSN, but he has done some terrific albums....with David C. too.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 13/02/2009 23:11:16
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  08:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes Lemonadekid - the first Crosby and Nash album (from 1972) is one of my all time favourites. And I was fortunate enough to see them on stage around that time. When you look at the sheer brilliance of albums like Harvest and Manassas as well, I find myself being almost grateful that the CSNY format proved an inadequate vehicle for the expression of the four individual talents.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page