Originally posted by Old_Man

Mine came in the post yesterday.

Nice, ol' man!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  17:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just saw Steeleye get a mention..one of my favorite bands..have most of their stuff...they like Fairport do a masterful linking of folk and Celtic music with rock..their songs move...Top record for me.."Below the Salt"..a keeper..
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  05:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I opened Neil Young's new one..."Sugar Mountain....Live at the Canterbury.

I thought it was a single CD of a lost concert from 1968. I was very happy.....but...there was ALSO a DVD enclosed!!!
Talk about getting full value for my twenty bucks! That's Neil!
I was almost in tears at first listen---- hearing Neil perform half the tracks from his yet to be released first solo album. A perfect recording with some great conversation & humor between tunes....and the rest, some of his best Springfield tunes. I also believe it is the first live recording of "Sugar Mountain", since Neil relates that this is an "old song that he hasn't played in about 4 1/2 years"! It just brings back everything fresh about the 60's and was as if I was hearing it for the first time ........ again!!

Can you imagine running across a lost old Love performance ...... say, pre-Da Capo...playing tunes that had never been heard by the buying public? With excellent audio AND live footage on a bonus CD??!!!! 70 minutes. Wouldn't that be something!?

Oh, and inside was a little piece of paper stating that the Neil Young Archives Vol. I will be released (FINALLY!!) in 2009. Stuff that goes ay back to his earliest days. How long have we been waiting for that?

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  15:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad you liked it lk think I'll pick up "Sugar" too...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  00:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my Pretty Things limited edition LP on Ugly Things label!!
Commissioned by Philippe DeBarge at the Pretties peak creative period....between SF Sorrow and Parachute....they probably had a bigger budget than for SF!! It's great!!

Anyone else get this 1000 limited edition, the Pretties, and produced by Waller & May. Most never heard before. AMAZING. I forget....who here turned me on to this wonder never to be issued again....at least not likely since they have less recognition than LOVE!! This is actually an LP that Twint played on on more than one track.
It was during this period that Jon Povey temporarily left the band to pursue his lady love. He gets credit on SF because the Pretties couldn't pay him for his temporary services....and he gets a full royalty share which was part of the deal. His credit and payout in royalties still bugs May to this day. He was never a "real" member of Pretty Things...except on THIS LP!!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 14/01/2009 00:37:52
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  21:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey LK, I got mine before Xmas, and yes it is great! They had great fun experimenting using 8 track for the first time, courtesy of the DeBarge budget. Interesting that DeBarge himself sings lead with phil only backing, but that was part of the deal! He just wanted to be in his favourite band! I gather the album will be released on CD, but not sure if that will be a limited edition as well.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  23:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

Hey LK, I got mine before Xmas, and yes it is great! They had great fun experimenting using 8 track for the first time, courtesy of the DeBarge budget. Interesting that DeBarge himself sings lead with phil only backing, but that was part of the deal! He just wanted to be in his favourite band! I gather the album will be released on CD, but not sure if that will be a limited edition as well.

Hey Ol' Man....YAH!!! it's great. It was interesting reading the liner notes with how May had to coach DeBarge on capturing the emotion of the English language...Philippe had English down but not the subtle accents and sensitive reading that go with the language. DeBarge did a great job on the lead vocals (though not up to May's, but who is?!)...it was Debarge's first shot at singing on a recorded piece and is very like May in style and delivery....and May thought he did a cracker jack job. He gave it a UK accent due to May's coaching...nothing American sounding--as many UK artists seem to lose their accent when singing. It really is quite good and totally up to SF and Parachute standards. I think this gave the Pretties a great way to get"up" on the new eight track technology and Parachute was better for it!! I hope it does get out on CD.
Thanks again Ol' Man for calling attention to this.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 14/01/2009 23:34:59
Go to Top of Page

Tambourine
First Love

Russia
3 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  15:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob Dylan - "Blonde on Blonde"
and some compilation CD of him, like "the best of.."
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  17:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MONO, first pressing Fresh Cream vinyl!

You've never heard it till you've heard it in MONO!!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  17:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
allan in eire might appreciate this..

I saw this cd/dv combo put out by the Irish Tourist Board..was only about 10 bucks so I thought I'd give it a try...Called "Scenic Soundscapes"..some pretty Celtic atmospheric instrumental music in there.. right now I want get on a plane and see Giants Causeway!..
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  17:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie Felix - First, Second & Third. First three albums on 2CDs. Tracked down all the LPs on ebay, along with the rest of her hitherto unreleased on CD catalogue after seeing her in concert for the first time a couple of years ago, but it will be nice to have some totally crackle-free versions (VERY mixed condition on those LPs!!). She's 71 this year and still a great performer.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  18:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tambourine

Bob Dylan - "Blonde on Blonde"
and some compilation CD of him, like "the best of.."

Hey Tambourine, if you ever have the chance to hear "Blonde ON Blonde" in MONO...the original LP in MONO is so GOOD. Something about the MONO is just so much better than the stereo mix.

Anyone else heard this and agree?!!

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  19:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just loaned 'The Gram Parsons Anthology' from my local library. On a very short first listen it doesn't quite sound like it's going to be my thing, but it's a double album featuring solo stuff and tracks from his days with the Flying Burrito Bros, The Byrds and The International Submarine Band, so I'll give it a few more listens.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  22:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

I've just loaned 'The Gram Parsons Anthology' from my local library. On a very short first listen it doesn't quite sound like it's going to be my thing, but it's a double album featuring solo stuff and tracks from his days with the Flying Burrito Bros, The Byrds and The International Submarine Band, so I'll give it a few more listens.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Gram can be the kind of artist that requires multiple listens to grow on you....whether it does is up to you. I like some a lot, others not all.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  17:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a chance to purchase Twink's solo vinyl: THINK PINK.....is it a good one?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 30/01/2009 17:29:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page