Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  11:08:12  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Cohen is an another in a long line of artists who trusted their finances to others (managers, etc) and was ripped-off of $5 million. He was left with $150,000 life savings (a lot for many), but how devastating. He won the court case, but as in many civil cases, it was ignored by the defendant & he'll likely never see his life's earnings.

Did you get the Essential 3.0 release with 3 disks, rocker? Looks like you picked a good starter kit for Cohen!

Still, if Cohen hadn't been in need of money he wouldn't have done the huge tour he's currently on and I wouldn't have got to see him twice this year. So some good has come out of him being ripped off...

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  14:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
john9..nice that you got one of Hillman's works from his rock days....such a fine musician who's been around for quite a while...
in a way we grew up with him didn't we?..he got me into bluegrass, country, rock and I guess with other music that have hyphens between theme..one of the seminal founders of American rock...he's touring at times now with a reunion Desert Rose Band around the US....not bad for a guy who played bass on that ancient song "Mr. Tambourine Man", eh?...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  14:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on Rocker - you can almost break your own heart wondering what artistic heights might have been scaled had Crosby, McGuinn, Clark and Hillman managed to keep their individual egoes in check after 1967/68 - they could have given the Fab Four a really good run for their money. But then I suppose that rock history - like history in general - is littered with what ifs.

On Francoise Hardy - having recently returned from Cannes, I must admit that I find myself drawn to her music once again. From her recent pictures, she looks pretty good for 64! I've found this piece from the Daily Telegraph in 2005. I had not realised that Dylan had paid tribute to her in his long rambling essay on the cover of his Another Side album.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2005/01/13/bmfranc13.xml&sSheet=/arts/2005/01/13/ixtop.html

Edited by - John9 on 16/10/2008 15:06:45
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  18:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Right on Rocker - you can almost break your own heart wondering what artistic heights might have been scaled had Crosby, McGuinn, Clark and Hillman managed to keep their individual egoes in check after 1967/68 - they could have given the Fab Four a really good run for their money. But then I suppose that rock history - like history in general - is littered with what ifs.

On Francoise Hardy - having recently returned from Cannes, I must admit that I find myself drawn to her music once again. From her recent pictures, she looks pretty good for 64! I've found this piece from the Daily Telegraph in 2005. I had not realised that Dylan had paid tribute to her in his long rambling essay on the cover of his Another Side album.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2005/01/13/bmfranc13.xml&sSheet=/arts/2005/01/13/ixtop.html

Ya, the what if's.....but if they'd stayed together then we might not have Dillard & Clark, Gene's solo masterpieces, classic CSN & Y, C & N, .....everything seems to find its way.
And the breakup of Buffalo Springfield & how the two bands intersected to create some of my favorite collaborations ever & solo works.....Hillman moving between the two former band's members to create some great ones & his own solos.
"One door closes...another one opens....."

Like Caryne said, she wouldn't have gotten to see Leonard so much, possibly, if not for his money woes! (He is likely pretty flush again!)

And I love Manassas rocker & J9, too. Hillman's contributions are so vast-- on so many albums.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 16/10/2008 18:26:27
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  23:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, Chris contributed substantially to John Einerson's
forthcoming (like any day now) Flying Burrito Brothers book.
That alone makes it a "must read" for me.....
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  01:05:48  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i had always loved Hillman's bass playing, way before he stretched out and up! he always just NAILED those bass notes! just the notes you WANTED him to hit! he played the MUSIC!
the Byrds and Buffalo Springfield are brothers, like tequila and chiles, like peyote camp-fires under a starry night, piercing the darkness, and ringing the bells of harmony. or something like that.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  03:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i had always loved Hillman's bass playing, way before he stretched out and up! he always just NAILED those bass notes! just the notes you WANTED him to hit! he played the MUSIC!
the Byrds and Buffalo Springfield are brothers, like tequila and chiles, like peyote camp-fires under a starry night, piercing the darkness, and ringing the bells of harmony. or something like that.

Rock and Roll Woman!! (Anyone catch that classic TV episode of Mannix with Springfield playing in the background at a little dive of a bar?)

Go to Top of Page

pooka
First Love

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  03:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Orpheus' first album of the same name. What they could do with four tracks back then!

Pooka
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  15:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey bobf..cool imagery there with those peyote-campfires under a starry night!....wouldn't mind being there myself....

And it's great to see you all enjoying the Burritos and their music...this urban boy got "countrifried" with Hillman, Parsons and co witht hat "Cosmic American Music".....

signed rw..and I'll be getting the book for sure.....and right now I'm spinning "Sin City" now to get my Burrito fix for the day.....

"this old earthquake's gonna leave me in the poorhouse"...
Go to Top of Page

undergroundbasement
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  21:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There's no way I could afford the deluxe version, which costs about $100 more for a third disc. I can thank the generosity of those on the world wide web for sharing disc 3, but the two-disc set I bought isn't all that bad.

Here's the official music video for the compilation's single, "Dreamin' Of You": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=917NgUORqyI&feature=related

We're all normal...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2008 :  16:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah same here too...I'll be picking this one up today....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  01:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Piper At The gates Of Dawn First pressing on Tower.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  17:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leonard Cohen seems to be rarer & rarer in the vinyl bins lately! So I grab 'em when I can.

Got Songs From A Room in the shrink, the even harder to find Live Songs which includes "Tonight Will Be Fine" (1970 Isle Of Wight), & Recent Songs in the shrink. I'm happy.

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  23:28:19  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i saw a reference here about Wichita Fall, and when going through the LP bins i found , "The Wichita Train Whistle Sings" by Mike Nesmith.
it's an eccentric instrumental Americana. like Randy Newman without lyrics, very ambitious and a huge orchestra.

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2008 :  00:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dixie Chicken, Feats Don't Fail Me Now and The Last Record Album by Little Feat - progressive country and blues at its very best.

.........."Oh Atlanta"

Edited by - John9 on 25/10/2008 00:30:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page