United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  14:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Dudda

I remember the single "Naturally" when it came out

I have their first LP on Atco (the "magic"forest cover). It's fantastic psych. Were they more of a hit in the UK?
What LP is "Naturally" from....II ? I know it was released as a single. It's on youtube....I'll give it a listen.
"Mr Moonshine" & "Magic Forest" are favorites of mine.

Yes it's from the 2nd album...http://www.softshoe-slim.com/lists/f/fat_mattress.html
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  03:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought today: John Martyn - 'Ain't No Saint' 4 CD retrospective
Fotheringay - 2
One common denominator: stunning music therein. Listen to Sandy Denny's voice on 'Wild Mountain Thyme' on F2 and weep. This newly released album has been completed thirty eight years after it was started by Fotheringay's surviving members and is a labour of love. As for John, yet more wonderful unreleased songs andlive versions. 5". And he's just got back together with Danny Thompson too
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2008 :  20:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike - I'd heard of the new Fotheringay 2 release but had not realised until I read your posting that it was already out. I actually have the recent Japanese CD edition of the original album - in addition to having outstanding quality, it carries a lot of bonus tracks - three of which have gone towards this very latest release. One of the greatest nights of rock I ever had was at university in 1970. Fotheringay were the headline act.......with Argent and Curved Air for support.....I don't remember things ever getting any better than that!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2008 :  08:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further to what I posted yesterday, I've just found this good quality live recording of Gypsy Davey from 1970. Since it was obviously such a staple of Fotheringay's live set, I've never quite understood why it was never included on their original album...or else on Sandy's follow-up solo album. Perhaps it was felt that it resembled Matty Groves too closely - and as we know, one of Sandy's reasons for having left Fairport Convention was to allow her to record many more of her own compositions.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4JlJMI8T57g

Edited by - John9 on 13/10/2008 08:59:24
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2008 :  17:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Further to what I posted yesterday, I've just found this good quality live recording of Gypsy Davey from 1970. Since it was obviously such a staple of Fotheringay's live set, I've never quite understood why it was never included on their original album...or else on Sandy's follow-up solo album. Perhaps it was felt that it resembled Matty Groves too closely - and as we know, one of Sandy's reasons for having left Fairport Convention was to allow her to record many more of her own compositions.

Hey, j9. Gypsy Davy is on the new Fotheringay 2 release!
I'm getting Sandy Denny's first two vinyl LPs by post soon. (just two released?)

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2008 :  17:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hey, j9. Gypsy Davy is on the new Fotheringay 2 release!
I'm getting Sandy Denny's first two vinyl LPs by post soon. (just two released?)

And by the way, for those interested, it will be released on 180 g vinyl in mid-October....that's for me!

Relating to Sandy Denny's passing:
Although Denny had self-image issues that led to her drinking & smoking which took a toll on her voice, her passing (as related by a close friend) was not due to a fall down stairs while drinking, but due to a brain tumor that caused a number of such collapses. She did not die from that fall down the stairs, but from a cerebral hemorrhage one month later. The tumor explains her headaches & collapses prior to the fall & the final fatal collapse while on holiday with family. A sad loss any way you look at it, but the facts change the perspective, I think. Her changes in behavior are also attributed to the brain tumor.

Also, a bit of trivia, Sandy Denny is the only guest vocalist to ever appear on a Zep album.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 13/10/2008 19:03:41
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  14:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok lk...I picked up the "Essential Leonard Cohen"...Lenny sure has a style. A great songwriter. How does he get along with Dylan? Are they competitive, friends? For me they have similar sensibilities. Two modern troubadors who look at life in unique musical ways.I tell you what though. After listening to a couple LC songs I just have to kind of unwind with '7&7 is'!..
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  17:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

ok lk...I picked up the "Essential Leonard Cohen"...Lenny sure has a style. A great songwriter. How does he get along with Dylan? Are they competitive, friends? For me they have similar sensibilities. Two modern troubadors who look at life in unique musical ways.I tell you what though. After listening to a couple LC songs I just have to kind of unwind with '7&7 is'!..

I haven't run across anything that suggests a deep friendship with Dylan, although Dylan appeared on an album as backup singer. Mutual respect is definitely there. Cohen's early association was with the fringes of Warhol's Factory crowd & was possibly influenced by Nico's style of singing. Dylan & Cohen don't seem to me the types that felt any competition with anybody; their styles being one of a kind.
Check out the movie McCabe & Mrs. Miller. Cohen did the sound track from his existing song catalog, but it fits so well that many believed he had written the songs especially for the movie.
Saw him on Austin City Limits some years ago & he had the back-up r&b songsters.....loved his reading of First We Take Manhattan. He is very good live mixing in political commentary, humor, & great music.
Truly in the class with Dylan.
Cohen is an another in a long line of artists who trusted their finances to others (managers, etc) and was ripped-off of $5 million. He was left with $150,000 life savings (a lot for many), but how devastating. He won the court case, but as in many civil cases, it was ignored by the defendant & he'll likely never see his life's earnings.

Did you get the Essential 3.0 release with 3 disks, rocker? Looks like you picked a good starter kit for Cohen!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  14:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx lk..As I watch many many movies, I thought his song in McCabe was such a right fit for that film. Excellent all around. You know I think my cd set only has 2 discs but now I'm not sure. Have to check!
(as you know I've been 'workin'!..here and at work of all places)..)

And Dylan: I saw "Tell Tale Signs" in the stores..whoa it's 170 bucks. I guess Columbia knows we're all grown up now and makin' tons of tons of bucks to get that. I thik they figure collectors would pay anything for all that....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  16:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've just ordered the second Manassas album, Down The Road. I've heard that although it is not as good as their first (and classic) release, Chris Hillman does have a couple of nice songs on it - such an etherial voice he has.

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  17:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

I love Francoise Hardy's stuff form the 60s and early 70s, though not so sure about the more recent stuff. There's a nice Vogue double CD around which has most of the best stuff on as well as an intersting best of shared with Jacques Dutronc, with lost of his yeh yeh material on too.

Yes Boombox - I especially loved All Over the World - Gallic pop at its very best!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  18:46:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I love Francoise Hardy's stuff form the 60s and early 70s, though not so sure about the more recent stuff. There's a nice Vogue double CD around which has most of the best stuff on as well as an intersting best of shared with Jacques Dutronc, with lost of his yeh yeh material on too.

Yes Boombox - I especially loved All Over the World - Gallic pop at its very best!

Hey J9 & Boombox, love Hardy's work. I generally don't care for foreign language pop music because of the language barrier, but she is great. I recently picked up a rare vinyl first press of hers on the 4Corners label. A nice (rare) stereo copy with a beautiful cover of Francoise. (She CAN hold a candle to Nico any day.) I think it is likely a mid 60''s issue & a greatest hits release, which I don't usually care to collect, but the rarity, cover, AND the $1 price tag did me in!!

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  23:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lemonadekid - I'm really glad that you're getting the first two Sandy Denny albums. I believe that they constitute her best solo work featuring as they do, her own traditionally influenced compositions. On the second album, Sandy, there is a wonderfully haunting song entitled, It Suits Me Well. It could almost be the soundtrack to the heartbreakingly beautiful new BBC production of Thomas Hardy's Tess Of The D'Urbervilles which has just finished being aired here. WGBH had a hand in it as well and so I'm sure it will also be shown in the States very soon. Here's a link to the site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tess/

Edited by - John9 on 16/10/2008 00:07:43
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  02:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trivia time. Sandy Denny's man when he came to town: Frank Zappa. Quite a combination, eh?
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  11:05:45  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hey J9 & Boombox, love Hardy's work. I generally don't care for foreign language pop music because of the language barrier, but she is great. I recently picked up a rare vinyl first press of hers on the 4Corners label. A nice (rare) stereo copy with a beautiful cover of Francoise. (She CAN hold a candle to Nico any day.) I think it is likely a mid 60''s issue & a greatest hits release, which I don't usually care to collect, but the rarity, cover, AND the $1 price tag did me in!!

I love Francooise Hardy, I've got quite a few her her 60's singles/EP's, not only do they sound good they look good too.

If you are new to 'French Female Pop' there are a couple of compilations you can get hold of quite cheaply
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swinging-Mademoiselles-Vol-1-Groovy-French/dp/B0009VBTSW

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belle-Epoque-French-Girls-1965-68/dp/B000NOKF3U/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1

For slighty 'heavier' themes, I adore Juliette Greco, sublime and classy music at its best. This is a great one I bought a while back

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beware-Paris-Juliette-Greco/dp/B000Q7ZBM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1224147682&sr=1-1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page