Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 Anything Else
 Congrats to UK & JUSTIN ROSE - US Open Winner

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 17/06/2013 : 21:56:00
First UK golfer to win the coveted US Open in over 40 years.

Congrats to a classy guy and a deserving golfer.

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 18/06/2013 : 17:13:32
quote:
Originally posted by Dukie

Welsh first -and then British! We have lots of British and Welsh rain!!

Ok..now I'm getting it...I think. You are Welsh (first) AND British too, Dukie, but not English. But what about the Irish? Since the Irish are not part of Great Britain (yet they are part if the UK), they are Irish only & not British?! But a Scotsman IS British too...

-lk
stewart Posted - 18/06/2013 : 17:09:43
Justin Rose was born in South Africa so I don't regard him as english myself
Dukie Posted - 18/06/2013 : 17:00:06
Welsh first -and then British! We have lots of British and Welsh rain!!
lemonade kid Posted - 18/06/2013 : 16:20:00
Thanks for that lesson in geography. It is confusing indeed. If I had thought about it, it does make sense though.

So the first ENGLISH golfer to win in... many decades....right? Is ENGLISH still used (that is what the sportscasters used to describe Rose), or is it British? I've always liked the poetic imagery of "the English rain"...kind of a black & white film noir image.

Are English & British one in the same? Irish. Scottish. Welsh. Or can you be a Brit and be from Ireland, Scotland, Isle of Man, England?

-lk
John9 Posted - 18/06/2013 : 10:03:33
Yes, Team GB was definitely a misnomer. I wonder whether it is anything to with fact that athletes from Northern Ireland/North of Ireland have the right to compete under the Irish flag if they find that more appropriate. It is interesting that at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow next year the component parts of the United Kingdom will compete once again as individual nations - something that is forbidden under Olympic rules. And as for soccer and rugby....best not go there!

To my mind one of the most refreshing aspects of the peace process in Northern Ireland is the greater acceptance of flexibilty in the use of names and titles. An american once told me that the American Civil War had been fought over just one word:

The United States is and The United States are

It's strange, I suddenly find the second verse of a certain John Lennon song coming to mind.
DaveyTee Posted - 18/06/2013 : 08:46:02
Not quite right, LK. In 2010 Graeme McDowell won it, and in the following year Rory McIlroy was champion. Both are from Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, although not of Great Britain. It can be confusing - the United Kingdom is made up of England, Nothern Ireland, Scotland and Wales, whileas Great Britain is merely the landmass of England, Scotland and Wales. Thus there were complaints from Northern ireland when the UK team at the recent London Olympics was officially called "Team GB" - it should really have been Team UK.

DT

But I Can't Understand
Why We Let Someone Else
Rule Our Land
Cap in Hand.
lemonade kid Posted - 17/06/2013 : 22:05:27
Of course Briton dominated the tournaments in the early 20th century...Harry Vardon...

-lk

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page