Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Re: Love and theRock and Roll Hall of Fame

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gatemouthmoore Posted - 16/02/2010 : 00:37:40
Several months ago I had the honor of having a rather extensive dialogue with Johnny Echols concerning his reuniting with Arthur in 2003. It seem's that Mr Echols senior (Johnny's father) and Arthur had grown especially close over the last decade or so and that relationship was instrumental in bringing the two "Son's of Thunder" back to the stage together. I'm not sure if it's widely known but their reunion, along with that of Bryan and Kenny had been in the work's since the time of the Love story box set in the mid nineties, but fate intervened and it was not to be.

Those of us who were fortunate enough to see Lee and Echols on stage together, were witness to an event that was pure magic. The 2005 show in Washington DC (available on Dvd) showed these "brothers" at the top of their game. Throughout the show, Arthur would take every opportunity to praise his friend. One moment that was especially poignant, was when Arthur asked the audience to let him know if they liked the new cd's and if they were unable to tell him, not to worry, Johnny would be out there carrying the torch. (did he know something even then)?

In my conversation with Johnny it was clear that both he and Arthur were concerned with the group's legacy. Since their exposure on the radio was virtualy nonexistent, one of the main reasons for their extensive touring was to keep their name "out-there". Thereby exposing their music to a younger audience and reinvigorating the base. This is still the impetus for Johnny and the rest of the guys from Baby Lemonade to continue. keeping the promise he made Arthur concerning the "hall".

Arthur's greatest wish was to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, he talked about it continualy, even though he had burned many of the bridge's to Cleveland, he felt keeping the conversation going would eventually repair some of the damage to those bridge's.

All of us have been so enriched by this music, some have even refered to it as
"the sound track of their live's" I personally can not imagine life without Love's music.
So I think it's long overdue for us to stop lamenting the fact that they have not been so honored and step-up and be heard, let the power's that be at the "hall" know how we feel.

A well thought out and focused email campaign, seem's to be the way to get this train rolling. It has worked for people who were far less worthy than Love, I won't name them but we all know who they are.

The time for hesitation is through, it's time to wallow in the mire of politics and get this thing done, it is absolutely the least we can do and It's also the right thing to do!

GMM

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 07/05/2010 : 01:53:29
I remember a dvd (dvdr?) that was for sale
with Echols and Arthur and the rest of the band doing "Smokestack lightning"
or something

eBay's your best bet, I think. I've bought a LOT of Love stuff on eBay. The BBC documentary on failed Monkees that featured Bryan (found it on video in 2000). The odd dvd and video will turn up. The Iceworld video (in PAL vhs format) popped up a month ago on the eBay.uk site

Yeah, know nothing about Bit Torrent. I can't imagine theres much Love video online, as they're a pretty obscure group. The only Echols footage I've come across on Youtube is him playing at that Love tribute in Manhattan in 2003, doing Signed DC or something

Good luck!
tedhead Posted - 06/05/2010 : 22:15:14
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I think they play a few of the later Arthur cd releases (Rainbow in the storm, etc) on the (quite good) BBC site. WFMU has a few of the LAG, American Four cuts (You I'll be following, Stay away) on their archive

Video.. maybe Youtube? failing that, eBay

THINK theres some Love (You set the scene) on a dvd compilation of some UK show (Jools Holland) but not sure of the UK (PALS) US (NTSC) video format on that. You might not be able to play it here in the States

After bit torrent I don't pay for audio stuff, video would have to be REALLY good for me to. I mainly trade. A really good shot of the entire 2005 Love with Echols and Lee might be worth it.

The worry about PAL and NTSC is non
-existant since my player plays all formats.

The only thing I am really looking for is the show that was mentioned earlier by GMM with Johnny Echols, Arthur Lee, and Baby Lemonade all back on stage as Love. He said it was available on dvd. If its not, or if I have to pay a lot with no idea of what it looks like, then I will pass.
Joe Morris Posted - 06/05/2010 : 19:56:54
think there was a site of those releases (cd, dvd) but your best bet now would be eBay. I see the odd Arthur dvd turn up there. Rainbow in the storm, etc

Might be a bit though. Saw Last Wall of the Castle up on eBay a few months ago closing at $80 plus
but then, thats a nice cd release

I'm assuming that the Red Telephone on the cd is the same length as on the lp? It cuts off suddenly !

I think they play a few of the later Arthur cd releases (Rainbow in the storm, etc) on the (quite good) BBC site. WFMU has a few of the LAG, American Four cuts (You I'll be following, Stay away) on their archive

Video.. maybe Youtube? failing that, eBay

THINK theres some Love (You set the scene) on a dvd compilation of some UK show (Jools Holland) but not sure of the UK (PALS) US (NTSC) video format on that. You might not be able to play it here in the States
gatemouthmoore Posted - 06/05/2010 : 08:30:07
tedhead! The new guy once posted on this board regularly, though not so much lately!
He had a partnership with Arthur, to market dvds of Love shows. I'm sure he can "hook a brother up!"

I don't know if he can still be reached at Http://bootlegs.com but it's worth a try.
He has other info listed on page six of the member page for this board under the new guy.
Hope this is helpful!

GMM
tedhead Posted - 06/05/2010 : 05:55:00
bumping, hoping that someone will heed my pleas.
tedhead Posted - 04/05/2010 : 02:03:29
quote:

Those of us who were fortunate enough to see Lee and Echols on stage together, were witness to an event that was pure magic. The 2005 show in Washington DC (available on Dvd) showed these "brothers" at the top of their game. Throughout the show, Arthur would take every opportunity to praise his friend. One moment that was especially poignant, was when Arthur asked the audience to let him know if they liked the new cd's and if they were unable to tell him, not to worry, Johnny would be out there carrying the torch. (did he know something even then)?

GMM

Wait a minute...where can I get this??? Who is "the new guy" who can hook a brother up? I MUST SEE THIS!!!
Art99 Posted - 03/05/2010 : 23:42:11
I can't envision LOVE or Lee ever getting into the HOF - not that it matters really. While we may love LOVE the general public certainly didn't, though with better promotion and more touring it might have been different. They were simply too obscure I think. Many in the 60's might remember songs like 7 and 7 is on the radio but most would have great difficulty naming the group. As for Dave Clark Five - WOW ! - I hadn't heard anything about these guys since I was about 10 and had completely forgotten about them but they were one of the first groups I ever heard and they had several top hits for a couple years and then just disappeared. Man if these guys got into the HOF then LOVE should get in thrice !!!

cheers
Joe Morris Posted - 19/02/2010 : 18:42:03
wow! the Parliament must REALLY love Forever Changes!
rocker Posted - 19/02/2010 : 14:18:39
I think the Brit Parliament thinks so..not bad for recognition...
stewart Posted - 19/02/2010 : 02:20:39
Somebody please tell me it's a joke about the Dave Clark Five

We can spend all day arguing that Love’s Forever Changes is the greatest album of all time, but let’s not argue. It is the greatest record of all time!
bob f. Posted - 19/02/2010 : 00:05:21
I'm glad all over for the Dave Clark Five! YAY, The Ronettes!
LOVE...shoulda been inducted....but maybe they are just beyond all the hype. They don't need no stinkin' badges. LOVE IS!

...what the world needs now...
rocker Posted - 18/02/2010 : 22:23:28
You know I thought it was interesting that the DC5 got in before the Hollies. Personally, I think the Hollies were more of a musically creative group (if you listen to some of the DC5's output after their "hits" I'm afraid the songs just "plod" along..that Tottenham sound was "sludged" up...) but there appears to be more to getting in than being "creative" I think. There's a fair amount of "marketing" that needs to be done. Dave C was a shrewd marketer and I think that had something to do with their early entrance too.
markk Posted - 18/02/2010 : 22:04:26
I think the reason Love will remain in obscurity and never reach The Hall of Fame is they just have no real trademark. One appearance at Woodstock or another big festival might have put them over the edge.
A big performance that everyone would forever remember. There was no hit song,just one essential album, and even that remains in obscurity.

I disagree about The Dave Clark Five. They were there at the beginning and were true rockers. I would say there was a short time where they were bigger than the Beatles, but it didn't last long. Yes, they were one dimensional, but they had fun, made you smile,
and were handsome dudes, enough to make the girls scream.

Anyone remember The Hullaballos?
gatemouthmoore Posted - 18/02/2010 : 19:34:40
It has become clear, that the hall of fame has lost It's way. Rather than the place where the very best of the culture is honored, where excellence and achievement are revered, it has become the repository of schmaltz and mediocrity. However I think this is as much a reflection of the time's as it is an indictment of the institution!

What also bothers me is the "hall" has become Jann Wenner's personal fiefdom, though there was a degree of support for Love being inducted several years back,[mr.] Wenner quickly nixed any serious consideration of Arthur and the group. It seem's that Arthur being Arthur, made negative comments concerning Jann's personal "orientation" in a Rollingstone interview and that set those bridges ablaze!

That being said, the fact that there is still so much interest in this "obscure"
music and musicians from more than forty year's ago, speak's for itself!

PS: The Dave Clark five at one time were huge, with a substantial following.
They were part of the so called "British Invasion". I'm not so sure they should be considered seminal or having had a lasting impact on music, though they were better
than many of their fellow inductee's

GMM
lemonade kid Posted - 18/02/2010 : 18:17:27
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

still amazed the Dave Clark Five got in

has anyone even heard of that band?

I'm not sure Madonna is even rock.. Buddy (for instance) was influenced by hillbilly but theres no mistaking "Rave on" or "Peggy Sue" for anything but rock..

I don't think they ever did find Buddy's house in Lubbock..

Dave Clark Five had their day...but not too long. They rivaled the Beatles in popularity for a short while and they had some toe-tappers, but they had no real depth or staying power. The criteria for getting into the Hall is lasting influence and impact...LoVE YEAH!...Dave Clark Five, not so much!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page