Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Has anybody read Ken Brooks Love Story

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tiburon Posted - 23/03/2006 : 16:01:46

hey everyone, just wondering if anybody had read Ken Brooks book? is it more accurate than some of the other stuff out there, and what kind of content does it have ?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Allan Posted - 24/03/2006 : 18:48:06
Wax

quote:
It's really not so mysterious. He wants the market for himself, not to compete with other LOVE books. Many artists feel the same way and have tried to stop books on them from coming out before their projected book.

I meant the whole subject of Arthur Lee and LOVE as being mysterious ...not just a book about them

AND yes, Arthur probably does want the market for himself.

Allan

waxburn Posted - 24/03/2006 : 17:27:25
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

Thomas...that is WHY so many like to use the word 'mysterious' when trying to describe Arthur and LOVE. There's so much speculation on the subject, but so little from the mouths of the members.

I don't think Art makes any money from books written by other authors. It's their books.

Now if Arthur ever did release a book, he would make money from that

Allan

It's really not so mysterious. He wants the market for himself, not to compete with other LOVE books. Many artists feel the same way and have tried to stop books on them from coming out before their projected book.
Allan Posted - 24/03/2006 : 16:51:38
Thomas...that is WHY so many like to use the word 'mysterious' when trying to describe Arthur and LOVE. There's so much speculation on the subject, but so little from the mouths of the members.

I don't think Art makes any money from books written by other authors. It's their books.

Now if Arthur ever did release a book, he would make money from that

Allan
ThomasGalasso Posted - 24/03/2006 : 16:40:35

Does Arthur not make any money off of these books when they are released ?

I would love to hear him totally sober, and clear headed describe events, and maybe even have Johnny around to relate or debate in the book. There is so much that just seems to be up in the air as to what really went down in the man's career.

-Thomas
The sweet disorder Posted - 24/03/2006 : 14:53:14
sorry jazmaan...maybe I hoped you thought it was fantastic!!!
jellybean Posted - 24/03/2006 : 12:11:46
it would be great to get Arthurs perspective and opinions on a lot of things, I think i've read most "love/arthur lee" books but somthing from the man himself would be fantastic. Why is Arthur so set against others publishing, is it purely to do with money? you would think that as a singer about to launch into a new set of gigs he would want the...for want of a better word,attention.
jazmaan Posted - 24/03/2006 : 03:24:30
I don't know if "fantastic" is how I'd describe. More like "much better written and more interesting than I thought it would be." I know The New Guy disagrees with me about Arthur's book, but I liked what I saw.
The sweet disorder Posted - 24/03/2006 : 00:45:56
Much as I would love to see it. I'm guessing that book is not coming out. I remember Jazmaan posting saying he'd read some extracts from it and it was fantastic.

I don't get good vibes re the book launch!!!!
Tiburon Posted - 24/03/2006 : 00:44:39
More distorted truths i take it. i like the songs are analyzed a bit though. i will try and pick it up when i get some dollars.
ThomasGalasso Posted - 24/03/2006 : 00:42:43
Arthur was supposed to put a book out too. I would love to read that one, I was actually disappointed to see that it shows no signs of coming out anytime soon.

My friend has already written a book, and decided to stop because when he met Arthur, he was pretty much against it. I wonder would Arthur make any money off of these publications or what ? I noticed the Michael Stuart book has the pic of Lee covering his face.

-Thomas Galasso
The sweet disorder Posted - 24/03/2006 : 00:35:19
It's a good read. I don't think it is any more accurate than anything else and it's certainly better than the Barney Hoskyns book, despite the fact that Hoskyns is a far better writer. I was really gutted with his as I expected far more. It's just an enhancement on his MOJO article on LOVE, and he dissed Arthur a few times since it's been written (hardly going to get in my good books doing that)

Ken's is full of grammatical errors and outlandish theories (I think he said A House is not a Motel would have made a better song if it was titled differently!!!, however, all credit to him as I think he wrote it and released it when Arthur was in prison - so probably scuppered any chances of sales because of that
ThomasGalasso Posted - 24/03/2006 : 00:27:27

I have got to get the book now. And you are right, because I have become like really into Vindicator.

That sounds like what I have been looking for.

-Thomas
mikeb Posted - 23/03/2006 : 23:45:35
The book is an easy read unlike the Hulktrans one. It starts with a 5 page introduction from David Housden of the Castle fanzine. Then the book starts with Arthur being sentenced in July 1996 and an account of his trial. Then a prelude to Love with all of Arthurs career and releases before he formed the band. Then goes into a chronological Love history up to 1997, comments on each track of all the commercially released albums, the guy rates Vindicator which should please you Thomas! Then a section he admits is incomplete on Love songs recorded by others. A Who's Who of Love with bios of all the musicians. Then a gig guide from 1965 to 1996. Lastly an alphabetical track finder. 136 pages but its half A4 size, A5? It's a good reference source and read.

There are three used copies for sale pretty cheaply at Amazon.co.uk, two at the same bookseller who does international shipping, not sure about the other seller. Amazon say they can get new copies but I am pretty sure it's out of print. Link is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/detail/offer-listing/-/189988260X/all/203-4964368-0739140

Tiburon Posted - 23/03/2006 : 16:50:53
yes thats it. i see it on ebay sometimes, and it is a black and white photograp.
waxburn Posted - 23/03/2006 : 16:46:28
quote:
Originally posted by Tiburon

hey everyone, just wondering if anybody had read Ken Brooks book? is it more accurate than some of the other stuff out there, and what kind of content does it have ?

I've been looking for that book but its pretty hard to find. Thats the one that has photo of Al with the big afro on the cover?

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page