Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 New Smile Album

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 21/09/2004 : 19:41:18
This is a LoVe board,
but I know there are many common fans
of both of those 2 LA guys.
You can heard the whole album
at this sight.

http://www.smilethealbum.com/index.php

You may have to register though.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bob f. Posted - 04/10/2004 : 00:54:00
have the SMILE cd. love it! now , there are 2 recordings i want: first is LOVE @ Wilshire Ebell ,Hollywood 9-29, the other is Smile debut night , london 2-20-04.
jazmaan Posted - 30/09/2004 : 00:06:07
In the movie version of "The Producers", Dick Shawn plays a character named "LSD". While auditioning for the part of Adolf Hitler, he sings a song called "Love Power." At the end of the song he peels a banana, and after a brief deliberation, he throws the banana away and eats the peel at which point Zero Mostel shouts out "That's our Hitler!"

JohnFPorcaro Posted - 27/09/2004 : 19:37:07
quote:
Originally posted by JohnFPorcaro

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jazmaan

Listening now to the Smile album. My first thoughts:

"Roll Plymouth Rock" is my favorite but it seems too much like a parody of the original. Like they're doing it tongue-in-cheek instead of with respect.

"Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" just seems silly where the original was spooky and ominous.

"Heroes and Villains" seems too slick, too rehearsed, too over-produced with very little of that experimental adventurousness of the original.

In fact what this whole album needs is a healthy dose of LSD for all the musicians involved. That's what the original "SMILE" was all about wasn't it?

Any body who would "would through away his candy & eat the wrapper" had to be super high on LSD.

One more time: "That's throw away my candy bar"
JohnFPorcaro Posted - 27/09/2004 : 19:34:47
quote:

quote:

"Roll Plymouth Rock" is my favorite but it seems too much like a parody of the original. Like they're doing it tongue-in-cheek instead of with respect.

"Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" just seems silly where the original was spooky and ominous.

"Heroes and Villains" seems too slick, too rehearsed, too over-produced with very little of that experimental adventurousness of the original.

In fact what this whole album needs is a healthy dose of LSD for all the musicians involved. That's what the original "SMILE" was all about wasn't it?

Any body who would "would through away his candy & eat the wrapper" had to be super high on LSD.

JohnFPorcaro Posted - 26/09/2004 : 17:27:26
quote:

jazmaan Posted - 25/09/2004 : 04:12:28
That semi-joking criticism aside, I will say that it was a joy to hear the SMILE arrangement and lyrics of "Good Vibrations" finally done right without the crude edits that have marred bootleg versions. To me that will always be the REAL "Good Vibrations".

"It's weird how she comes in so strong! And I wonder what she's pickin' up from me?"
jazmaan Posted - 25/09/2004 : 04:01:19

caryl Posted - 24/09/2004 : 21:56:13
I just registered and I can't wait to hear it!
bob f. Posted - 24/09/2004 : 06:33:10
i'm looking forward to SMILE studio cd, and am even more in suspence about maybe seeing the recording of the opening night London live concert being released! man, that's what i want! after hearing it... all i can say is WOW!!!
John E Posted - 22/09/2004 : 22:05:05
Hi Barber John,
I'd be surprised if there isn't a brief reprise of "Our Prayer" because it was featured in the live shows (though I've heard there are some minor differences). I was initially surprised that "Surfs Up" is not the final track, but I quickly adapted to it.
Brian has said that he wanted to conclude with "Good Vibrations" because that's what he wants to send out to the world. It worked well
with "Good Vibrations" closing the set at the concerts, because this track makes everyone want to dance. It was arranged between a few die-hard fans at the last Smile shows that we would simultaneously rise as soon as Brian sang the word "Ah...". Since I generally had an aisle seat, it was usually me who led the ritual. In this small way, I feel that I was an integral part of the July RFH Smile shows! All the best, John E
Barber John Posted - 21/09/2004 : 21:44:28
Don't want to make this a Brian site but....
John, you went to the shows. On the track listing it doesn't have Our Prayer (reprise). Personally I would have preferred the set to have finished with this. I thought Good Vibrations was a bit of an add on. A little too similar in idea to Day in the life finishing Sgt P.
What I am saying may be sacrilegious to a fan such as you, apologies if needed in advance.
John E Posted - 21/09/2004 : 21:02:26
Personally, I'm waiting till I buy the album on Monday. I want to experience this event in all its full magnitude, rather than hearing a dubious quality online preview. I've no doubt that the Strings 'n Horns contribution will be magnificent. All the best, John E
Barber John Posted - 21/09/2004 : 20:37:51
Or Tuesday even....
Barber John Posted - 21/09/2004 : 19:58:27
Thanks John
Cannot wait until Monday. I have had it on pre order for months. Saw it performed live this year and was blown away.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page