Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 New LoVE & Arthur Lee Book-News & Updates

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 21/08/2020 : 19:53:14
I'm am opening up this thread for author William Spevack...introducing a new and upcoming book on Love. William will join us soon..he had trouble signing up, but will be here shortly! -LK

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share some news about a book I'm writing and self-publishing with Amazon on the band. 'Keep On Shining: A Guide Through The Music Of Love & Arthur Lee' will be released this Autumn. My fandom got the best of me and I had a lot of downtime this year, so I decided to write something on Love. I was very lucky to have help and encouragement from fellow forum members lemonade kid, Dukie, and The Freedom Man, omikron and from Love drummer Michael Stuart-Ware, who was kind enough to answer a lot of questions.

The book perspective will be telling the story from inside the music out since most of the time, the music reflects Love's history. They'll be summaries on every song from Love, Arthur Lee solo, and Bryan MacLean solo amongst other side efforts. All the live and compilation releases are covered and since there hasn't been a book on Love & Arthur Lee since 2011, and the 2010s saw a lot of new Love releases, those are detailed in this as well.

I was able to research a lot of old and rare Love articles to flesh out the rest of the story outside the music since it's a unique tale and I wanted all the Love members to have a voice in this, so I researched a number of quotes about the songs and important moments in their history.

I know there are a few Love fans on the forum , so I thought I'd do this thread to provide updates as the book is being completed for anyone that happened to be interested and thanks to Torben for letting me give this heads up.

Cheers,
William Spevack

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 25/02/2022 : 20:06:30
So feedback continues to be mostly positive and I'm really pleased. I wanted to post Love member Mike Randle's review of Keep On Shining - this is from Facebook from last month...thanks again to Mike Randle - this was a very satisfying moment of the experience. -William Wes
---

NOTES ON A COFFEE CUP: Book Review/ Comment
New Year’s Eve, 2021

Am wishing each and all a very safe, warm and enjoyable New Years eve and the coming 2022 year! Whether you enjoy bubbly or apple juice, enjoy your evening, out with the old and on with the new!

NOACP picked up a copy of William E. Spevack’s new book, “KEEP ON SHINING: A Guide Through The Music Of LOVE & Arthur Lee” and read it over the course of a good week and the went back and re-read some sections. Clocking in at OVER 550 pages, this book is the closest thing I’ve ever seen to a magnum opus of Love/ Arthur Lee information and opinion on the entire catalog (including Bryan Maclean’s extensive solo work). I thoroughly enjoyed KEEP ON SHINING and, as much as I like to THINK I know, I still learned a lot of things I wasn’t aware of.

The book seems to be mostly Spevack’s perspective of the material that’s been made public through various releases, but also from bootlegs and/ or authorized live releases. I know that the 4-disc live release, “Coming Through to You” has some incorrect credits (Baby Lemonade received credit on a performance that was actually Das Damen. One of the kind dudes in Das Damen reached out to me to express his displeasure - i didn’t blame him either! But, that had nothing to do with me!) and there’s a couple of song credits missing (Hey, Rusty n me co-wrote the music for Love On Earth Must Be with Arthur, and he wrote the words and melody!) but Spevack’s job isn’t to be a detective but instead to shine a light on an incredible amount of material, much of which has been overlooked in the overall rock and roll world.

I think this book will appeal to everyone from the casual Love/ Arthur Lee fan to the absolute fanatic that has to have everything. This is the most comprehensive LOVE project untaken since the David P. Housden days of his amazing labour of love, The Castle fanzine. Anyone who remembers those Castle publications arriving in the mail will have a deep appreciation for William’s book. And, not only am I not being paid to write this, I bought a copy the day it came out! Writing a book is hard stuff, especially if you’ve never written one.

William and I had a phone conversation a week or so before the book was released. We’ve never met and it was our first (hopefully of many) phone call. Of course, we are both huge Love fans so we just yapped for what seemed liked 2 hours! I instantly took a liking to him and saw where his energy and drive was coming from. The guy is so deeply touched by Arthur and LOVE’s music and so into it and loves talking about it so much, he HAD to write this book! When you read it, it’s like he’s talking to you.

I was thinking to myself, “What would Arthur Lee think?”. Anyone that knew Arthur knew that he had this tough exterior where he didn’t want you to fully know what he was thinking. And it was balanced by this really sweet, caring and blessed interior where he was at his most sensitive. His first thought? “Hey man, **** this guy. Who the hell does he think he is?” Then Arthur would cross the street, see Johnny, and yell, “Hey Echs! Echs! Hey man, this dude, William Spevack, wrote this LOVE book man. It’s cool. Man, you gotta read it!” Well, at least that’s what I think! Arthur Lee used to complain about David Housden’s “Castle” fanzine, claiming he was gonna have some “Crips” straighten him out! I would tell Arthur, “I can’t imagine Crips getting passports, flying to England and finding David but stranger things have happened!”. And then, in 2002, we played a show at Queen Elizabeth Hall and low and behold David was there. I told Arthur and he strolled out to see David, as they’d never met. What came next was hugs, laughs, peace and ended with Arthur thanking David Housden for “Keeping my music alive and spreading the word.” Were he here today I absolutely believe he’d say the same about KEEP ON SHINING.--Mike Randle

lemonade kid Posted - 04/02/2022 : 21:54:04
This from William on the unique jazz time signatures of Stephanie Knows Who.
(The book is filled with such in depth and knowledgeable song analysis that made my Da Capo listen today even more interesting and enjoyable!)

Download here
https://gofile.io/d/8MopqS

Or read here if it is legible for you:

lemonade kid Posted - 04/02/2022 : 21:39:55
Really enjoying all the in depth analysis of each song, especially from side one Da Capo.
William's views are quite excellent on each song, as are the many quotes of each Love member on each song. ...some very rare and never presented in book form before.

Also...William interviewed Michael in 2020 for the book.--his comments are represented many times with all new info, and all are so fresh as expected from Mr Stuart. The book is peppered with dozens and dozens of quotes from Michael.
Worth the price of admission alone.

Stephanie Knows Who...a jazz rock fusion masterpiece that came before all those fusion bands we would love 1967and beyond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oqmaOSHmJM

You can download and read this page here--quite illuminating:
https://gofile.io/d/RwMDFO

Joe Morris Posted - 02/02/2022 : 02:40:12
Love revisited is where a lot of us started. Good track selection (You set the scene has to end it, doesnt it

I played the heck out of that cassette! in 1989. what a year
lemonade kid Posted - 01/02/2022 : 20:59:34
Thanks for all the accolades, guys!

DaveyTee Posted - 29/01/2022 : 13:12:47
£22.65 delivered from Amazon uk now - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keep-Shining-Guide-Through-Arthur/dp/B09MYL7V9B/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TDVMT3MG46FE&keywords=Spevack&qid=1643458008&s=books&sprefix=spevack%2Cstripbooks%2C89&sr=1-1

Absolutely no excuse not to get it.

DT

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going. There's something ahead worth fighting for" (Neil Young)
John9 Posted - 27/01/2022 : 21:02:51
Yes indeed LK - it is a wonderful book....and just what I have been wanting for all these years. More than any previous work, the study provides a balanced and almost forensic evaluation of the music. Moreover, it is amazing to contemplate the vast array of source material, some of which I half remembered from music magazines published during the early 1970s. I especially enjoyed the in depth treatment that William gives to the topic of compilations....especially 'Love Revisited'. That one was my first Love album and to me it is still the most magical.

I also enjoyed the additional work on the venture from you LK and also, Michael Anderson....whom I have met a couple of times. All in all, the whole project stands as a magnificent tribute to the legend and the cultural achievement that have come to mean so much to us all.
lemonade kid Posted - 15/01/2022 : 21:22:24
Cheers, John....thanks for your heartfelt post!

Of great interest are the many many quotes/interview snippets on every page throughout the book, by Love members, past and present, and a ton more from so many sources all in one book (such as Rolling Stone, Psychedelic Baby interviews etc). Many I have never seen or read in print anywhere, let alone in one book, and they add even more to the Love legacy. I keep running across little bits of info about Love I never knew-or at least never stated in the way they are here by Arthur, Johnny, Michael, Snoop and Kenny.

It is so much more than just a song by song guide--it is an in depth history of everything Love and how each song was conceived or written and recorded. A great historical document. What an achievement by William!

quote:
Originally posted by John9

Thanks to you all for the heads-up on this. I placed the order about a week ago....£31.50 from Amazon.com. Now it's on its way - according to the tracking, the package is currently in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Of course you cannot put a price on something like this.....the only other bands that I would shell out for on a similar scale, would be The Byrds and The Fab Four. What I find encouraging about this latest publication is that appears to do full justice to the post-Forever Changes years. Along with almost everyone else, I believe that the 1967 masterpiece is rock's finest moment. But equally, my love for Four Sail and Out Here has never ceased to deepen.

LK - a major factor in persuading me to buy was your splendid review on Amazon.com.....and so sincere thanks for that.

John9 Posted - 13/01/2022 : 21:26:13
Thanks to you all for the heads-up on this. I placed the order about a week ago....£31.50 from Amazon.com. Now it's on its way - according to the tracking, the package is currently in Kenosha, Wisconsin.

Of course you cannot put a price on something like this.....the only other bands that I would shell out for on a similar scale, would be The Byrds and The Fab Four. What I find encouraging about this latest publication is that appears to do full justice to the post-Forever Changes years. Along with almost everyone else, I believe that the 1967 masterpiece is rock's finest moment. But equally, my love for Four Sail and Out Here has never ceased to deepen.

LK - a major factor in persuading me to buy was your splendid review on Amazon.com.....and so sincere thanks for that.
lemonade kid Posted - 02/01/2022 : 21:25:19
quote:
Originally posted by SignedRW

Well said, L.K. Right there with you; I certainly couldn't have put it any better myself. This book is, to me, a tremendously incredible accomplishment on William's part; a massive undertaking that clearly required very serous effort, energy, and time on the part of the author. At 575 pages, the book is a gift to any (and all) of us who consider ourselves fans of Arthur and of Love, the band, as a whole. For myself, I see no reason or justification to quibble over what seem to be fairly minor details, be they the result of possibly either misinterpreted or misunderstood lyrics or even typos that may have slipped by unnoticed. Bottom line, I see this book as cause for celebration among we fans, and I have only the deepest gratitude and appreciation toward William for his efforts.

For sure, rw! Great effort, wonderful result.

Since we have no official lyrics sheets from the Love albums... the lyrics are indeed up to interpretation and ones ear.

And I have spelt Baghdad incorrectly myself. (hmmmm...is that right?)

SignedRW Posted - 30/12/2021 : 01:10:12
Well said, L.K. Right there with you; I certainly couldn't have put it any better myself. This book is, to me, a tremendously incredible accomplishment on William's part; a massive undertaking that clearly required very serous effort, energy, and time on the part of the author. At 575 pages, the book is a gift to any (and all) of us who consider ourselves fans of Arthur and of Love, the band, as a whole. For myself, I see no reason or justification to quibble over what seem to be fairly minor details, be they the result of possibly either misinterpreted or misunderstood lyrics or even typos that may have slipped by unnoticed. Bottom line, I see this book as cause for celebration among we fans, and I have only the deepest gratitude and appreciation toward William for his efforts.
lemonade kid Posted - 28/12/2021 : 22:33:41
Really...minor details (edit issues) from the (as yet unfinished) web site... the BOOK deserves kudos & many readings before you dismiss it out of hand...we can save the edits for the next edited version if they are there too...it is a feat to get the almost 600 page in-depth book out to us for Christmas, and it is well worth the price of admission and the read!! The many interviews and passages that have never appeared in book form, from The Castle, liner notes and many sources, with new interviews by William with Michael, Mike, and many more make this one on LoVE a must read.

quote:
Originally posted by stewart

Had a quick look at the (unfinished) website. Lyrics don't seem 100% eg I see William says of the Castle 'I'm living on a boat...' whereas I thought it was 'I'm leaving on a boat..' Same with Alone Again or - William says 'And you’ll do just what you want to do' but it's clearly 'choose to do'. Baghdad spelt wrong too in discussing You I'll be Following, so disappointing lack of attention to detail......

stewart Posted - 14/12/2021 : 01:30:27
Had a quick look at the (unfinished) website. Lyrics don't seem 100% eg I see William says of the Castle 'I'm living on a boat...' whereas I thought it was 'I'm leaving on a boat..' Same with Alone Again or - William says 'And you’ll do just what you want to do' but it's clearly 'choose to do'. Baghdad spelt wrong too in discussing You I'll be Following, so disappointing lack of attention to detail......
lemonade kid Posted - 04/12/2021 : 12:58:28
This from William:
Hi Love fans. I'm releasing Keep On Shining very soon (December 2021). The book has a website with more info and some essays- keeponshininglovebook.com. Both the Kindle edition and paperback should be out this month.

The website!

https://www.keeponshininglovebook.com/

lemonade kid Posted - 23/11/2021 : 16:27:21
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Hobbs

Will this be published in the UK or just USA? I'll definitely want a copy if it's possible to get one?

It will be at Amazon USA at the least. Amazon's printing services will be printing the paperbound book. I'll talk to William to see if it will be made available at Amazon UK.

In any event it will also be there in full, photos and all, as a Kindle book.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page