Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Mike Randle on anniversary of Baby Lem & Love

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 03/05/2020 : 14:27:31
This from Mike Randle on Baby Lemonade joining Arthur Lee
to form the new LoVE...posted with his blessing.

LoVE NOTES ON A THURSDAY
“My new LOVE band”
April 30, 2020
By Mike Randle

On April 30th, 1993, David Green, Rusty Squeezebox and I (along with Henry Lui) officially became the latest (and last) true incarnation of the 1960’s iconic California band, LOVE. Not a pick-up band to save money. Not an assembled group of musicians posing for promo pictures as “LOVE” but real members where Arthur wanted to work with us on his ideas, learn the catalog and help him return to the music community as more than just an oldies act.

The night before, Baby Lemonade had opened for Arthur Lee and LOVE. They played a really good set and, with the exception of a very good and very young drummer in Justino Polimeni, the remaining three guys on that stage were the catalyst behind LPs like, “Black Beauty” and “Reel to Real.” The set they played on April 29th was more or less the hits. It was great to see them play, especially for me, as it was my first time seeing Arthur perform live. After the show on the 29th, I went upstairs and finally met Arthur Lee. I was terribly nervous. He was tall and slim and still sweaty from the set he’d just performed.

He reached out his hand to me first and said, “I dig your group, man. You guys remind me of my original band. Your music sounds good, man. And you guys got the racial mix. That keeps ‘em guessing, man. Don’t let ‘em put you in a category. My original group was the first to do that, man. Be different.” All I could say was “thank you” and tell him how much I enjoyed his set and that he sang beautifully. It was a great night. I was walking on air. My girlfriend at the time said to me on the drive from The Troubadour to her apartment in West L.A., “You know, he was watching you guys the entire time you played.”

The day after the show, April 30th, our manager (The Balancing Act’s Jeff Davis) got a call from Arthur’s booking agent, Tom Sweeney. I recall meeting him at the show and also I recall him smiling a lot. Anyways, so, Tom calls Jeff and says that Athur really liked Baby Lemonade and wants to know if we were interested in backing him up for shows when he plays in L.A. So the idea was indeed like another pick up band, just locally. Jeff gave us the pros and cons of such a thing and let us decide. We took all of about 1 minute to say HELL YEAH! A few days later (either May 1st or May 2nd), Arthur calls David Green and asked if we knew any of his songs because he wanted to get together. David told him that, off hand, we knew like 5 songs but would learn whatever he wanted us too. Arthur said thanks and hung up. THEN he rang back not long after and asked if we could get together THAT night? David said, sure, got off the phone and call each of us to let us know we needed to get together and work out the songs before Arthur got there!

On our own, we went over Signed D.C., Orange Skies, 7&7 Is and a couple of other numbers. I don’t think we did Alone Again Or. A few hours later Arthur arrives at David Green’s house (where he and his roommate, John, had an 8-track Reel to Reel studio) in a black town car driven by a guy named William Youngblood. Arthur walks in with a cool ass Superfly stroll. Shakes everyone’s hand then he starts searching the studio for what I thought was bombs or something but it turns out he was checking for secret Mics! He was certain we were gonna bootleg the rehearsal. I wish we had! Anyways, we ran through about 3 of the 5 songs. Arthur stopped us and said, “You guys know my music. You play it right.” Then we went into the living room and watched a video from the year before of Shack backing him. He loved Shack and the sound was really raw. We wanted to match that energy but also deliver the music on a level that was comparable to the originals. We could never beat the originals but we could at least bring them to a live setting as good as possible. Then Arthur told us we were his band. He said he knew he had a new band after the show. He said that we could do our “Baby Lemonade thing” but he wanted us to be the band, LOVE. HIS Love band. His NEW Love band. Before Arthur left he told us to “call Tom Sweeney, we got a show at Raji’s”. Tom had already booked a June 2nd show at the old Hollywood club called Raji’s. So, we spent the rest of May working on a set for that show. As of April 30th, we were officially a member of LOVE.

Mike

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kula John Posted - 05/05/2021 : 13:38:48
Welcome Back LeeRob! Really great to hear from you and see your posts.

----------------------
For the time that I've been given's such a little while and the things that I must do consist of more than style....
lemonade kid Posted - 03/05/2021 : 21:09:18

quote:
Originally posted by LeeRob

Ihaven't been active on the board for awhile so I've been reviewing missed posts. Ther is a fortune of music turn-ons worth revisiting. At the present time I am relistening to Crimson Reflections by The Black Hollies. Thanks people for sharing. I can hear Cream in ...Through Looking glass Mind.

It's all the same day.

Cheers, LeeRob...love The Black Hollies "Casting Shadows" lp

LeeRob Posted - 03/05/2021 : 20:04:18
Ihaven't been active on the board for awhile so I've been reviewing missed posts. Ther is a fortune of music turn-ons worth revisiting. At the present time I am relistening to Crimson Reflections by The Black Hollies. Thanks people for sharing. I can hear Cream in ...Through Looking glass Mind.

It's all the same day.
LeeRob Posted - 03/05/2021 : 01:06:55
Wow Mike, what a trip. I was in L.A. in '66, right out of the Marine Corps and ready to get back into civilian life and MUSIC! Love was nearly all I listened to. I used to think that I saw the band hanging out outside the A-Go-Go, but now that I'm in my 70's I honestly don't know. Ha! Good reflection Mike.

It's all the same day.
ZFarrar Posted - 30/10/2020 : 05:46:30
Mike, such a great story. The credit goes to you guys for reviving the music and vibe.
Joe Morris Posted - 02/10/2020 : 19:18:30
shame Liu was so badly treated by Arthur. One thing I liked about Baby Lemonade (please! please Baby Lemonade!) was that they stood up to Arthur, they were a GROUP. TOGETHER. Has anyone heard any of the groups EPs by the way? Read positive reviews of Mike Randles work (Barstool Blues) in the Castle, and I quite like My Music Loves You Even When I Don't (his 2nd solo?)

I think the song by Baby Lemonade Long Train Rides is about Arthur
markk Posted - 28/05/2020 : 18:21:59
That's a beautiful story. I don't recall the first time I saw them,
sometime in the 90s, but it was something to behold.
lemonade kid Posted - 13/05/2020 : 18:55:44
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

So cool. Thanks for sharing this.

----------------------
For the time that I've been given's such a little while and the things that I must do consist of more than style....

You bet, KJ. Cheers.

Kula John Posted - 13/05/2020 : 14:07:24
So cool. Thanks for sharing this.

----------------------

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page