Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 EMITT RHODES, 1-man Beatles-Better Side of Life

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 05/07/2011 : 20:27:21
Compared to McCartney...but he never copied-- still his own muse....

EMITT RHODES-The Merry-Go-Round, 1960-70's

Time Will Show The Wiser (
by emitt rhodes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7t72TKtdos

Emitt Lynn Rhodes (born February 25, 1950, Decatur, Illinois, United States) is an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and recording engineer. His solo recordings of the early 1970s show a clear Paul McCartney influence in both vocals and musicianship. Rhodes began his career in musical ensembles The Palace Guard (as the group's drummer) and The Merry-Go-Round (multi-instrumentalist), leaving the drums to the expertise of Joel Larson.

A favorite Baroque Pop band from the 60's. They began as The Palace Guard and were a good, but were just one of many LA cover bands. Then Emitt Rhodes formed this fine band and had some great little hits with the Merry-Go-Round...

LIVE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aulG3iy6uiQ

Time Will Show The Wiser...
a very nice cover of the Fairport classic!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7t72TKtdos&feature=related

Play this track here and it should keep on playing if your browser cooperates.

You're A Very Lovely Woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCkdFPrtd4E&feature=BFa&list=AVGxdCwVVULXdamGyNAY0OAvFlT14Ktowj&index=3

Pardon Me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A67R332wMec

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 19/02/2014 : 20:26:32
All from his MIRROR lp..his masterpiece:

Better Side Of Life by Emitt Rhodes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvEn14kWY_Y

Love Will Stone You...brilliant too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDA-ULQdABo

and a very rare music video from Emitt, 1971...if you missed it earlier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypoMlWQ9xwU

Golden Child Of God
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZqJW2f4Tgg&feature=kp

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor,
and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dowd
lemonade kid Posted - 08/07/2013 : 14:22:01
...1971REALLY WANTED YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypoMlWQ9xwU

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 01/07/2013 : 22:22:37
The Merry-go-round on Hollywood Palace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgmioAfzhXE

-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 01/07/2013 : 22:19:51
A rare music video from Emitt--Birthday Lady
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzCl4WttEAA

Sweet!

-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 01/07/2013 : 21:56:41
Find this rare documentary if yo can...I can't

@ Throwback Tuesday: The One Man Beatles, Emitt Rhodes
By Joe | Published: March 19, 2013

In the early 1970s, Billboard called Emitt Rhodes “one of the finest artists on the music scene today” and called his first album one of the “best albums of the decade” – he was 20 years old then. By 24, Emitt Rhodes was finished in the music industry. What happened to this rising star, and better yet… who is he?

The pop songwriter hailed as the “One-Man Beatles” was a 15-year-old drummer from Hawthorne, CA, (the Beach Boys‘ hometown) when he got his first taste of stardom. His band, the Palace Guard, became a local sensation when Casey Kasem invited them to appear on his TV show, ‘Shebang,’ and they became regulars at the famous Hullabaloo nightclub.

Rhodes soon formed a band of his own, the Merry-Go-Round. They stayed together for several albums through the late 1960s, scoring a big regional hit with the song “Live” (later covered by the Bangles). They were noted in England, too, where Fairport Convention recorded a cover of Rhodes’ “Time Will Show the Wiser”. Unfortunately, the band members hated each other. “We used to spit in each other’s faces, bloody each other’s noses” in the studio, Rhodes recalled on his website. The group disbanded in 1969, leaving its talented frontman to pursue a solo career.

Recorded in the shed behind his parents’ suburban home, Rhodes’s self-titled debut earned him $5,000 from ABC/Dunhill Records. The album drew plenty of praise for its McCartney-esque melodies, and the first single, “Fresh as a Daisy” began climbing the national charts. Then the record business got in the way. A&M, which was still owed one final Merry-Go-Round record, took some of Rhodes’s demos and released them under his own name as the album ‘The American Dream.’ The sudden appearance of two albums by the same new artist confused record buyers, sinking his commercial prospects.

Trouble didn’t end there. Rhodes had signed a heavy contract calling for him to produce two albums a year for three years. When he fell behind, he found himself on the wrong end of a $250,000 lawsuit. By the time his next album, ‘Mirror,’ came out, the record company’s enthusiasm had waned. His third official solo album, the prophetically titled ‘Farewell to Paradise,’ would be his last. At age 24, he “retired” to a quiet, penny-pinching life as a recording engineer. Asked whether he thought of himself as a Baroque popper in a 2010 L.A. Record interview, the singer joked that he’s always been a “brrrroke popper.”

Not that fans of Beatlesque pop haven’t tried to resurrect his career. Proposed comeback albums in 1980 and 2000 were junked for various reasons; Rhodes had a momentary flurry of interest when music fanatic Wes Anderson included his song “Lullaby” on the 2001 soundtrack to ‘The Royal Tenenbaums.’ In 2009, Hip-O Records released a two-disc collection of his solo recordings, and an Italian film director made a Rhodes documentary called, of course, ‘The One Man Beatles.’

Whether or not he ever releases new material or reaches a more mainstream market, Emitt Rhodes definitely wrote some great songs. Listen to a short playlist of his hits below – what do you think, do you hear the Paul McCartney influence?

Plot Summary for
The One Man Beatles (2009)IMDbPro »

A young director crosses the ocean to find Emitt Rhodes, the mysterious forgotten American pop star from the 1960s/70s, once dubbed as the secret alter ego of Paul McCartney. But these theories are refuted by Emitt himself, flushed out and placed in front of a video camera after many years spent holed up in his house full of old guitars and vintage amplifiers. His words reveal a past filled with regrets. His voice and his music proving his pure talent. Cosimo Messeri records his American dream in a dazed and enthusiastic diary, a portrait of unfulfilled ambitions and loneliness that smacks of Chekov. Written by Omenio Blati

-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 01/07/2013 : 14:31:49
Emitt Rhodes' new album...and story behind Emitt
Wonderful interview with fellow musician Dan Mayer on the new Emitt project...

Richard Thompson sits in on guitar...
http://thetimemachineradioshow.podomatic.com/entry/2011-12-06T13_41_47-08_00

first NEW track at 23 minutes in..next at 30 minutes...Emitt is still a genius with a mature voice.

A radio interview with musician Dan Mayer about a new project with Emitt Rhodes...three NEW songs are spun too...starting at about 23 minutes into the interview.

Singer heavily compared to Paul McCartney releases first new tracks in years

The Examiner

Over two years ago, we were happy to break the news that singer Emitt Rhodes would be recording again. Now, the next chapter has been written: Three new Emitt Rhodes songs are now available.

Emitt Rhodes with Vicki and Debbi Peterson of the Bangles, who sing background vocals on two of his new songs.

For those unfamiliar with his work, his records in the '70s sounded so much like Paul McCartney that comparisons were a common occurrence. He received raves from critics and fans alike and his songs were played often on progressive radio in that era.

Just prior to going solo in 1969, he sang with a group called The Merry-Go-Round, who released an album on A&M Records. "Live" was their best known song and a power pop masterpiece.

After the Merry-Go-Round disbanded, he recorded his first solo album in his home studio. The album, simply titled "Emitt Rhodes," hit number 29 on the Billboard album charts. One of his better known songs from the album was "Fresh As a Daisy." His songs had very much a McCartney flavor.

It's taken some time, but Rhodes finally has some new songs out there. The songs, "What's A Man To Do" (available on iTunes and Amazon.com) ), "Just Me And You" (on iTunes and on Amazon.com) and "This Wall Between Us" (on iTunes and Amazon.com ) are available only digitally on iTunes, Amazon.com and also CD Baby. And the McCartney influence is still there.

Dan Mayer, who has worked with Rhodes in the past, told us the songs feature Rhodes on keyboards, Matt Malley on bass, Richard Thompson on guitar and drummer Joel Larson, who was the drummer for the Merry-Go-Round. Debbi and Vicki Peterson from the Bangles are the featured background vocalists on "What's a Man To Do" and "The Wall Between Us."

Mayer says there's no anticipated date as to the completion of the full CD. And even better news, he says, is that "there's no shortage of material, as there's about 16 new songs waiting in the wings."

Welcome back, Emitt.

Once compared to McCartney....Examiner story--
http://www.examiner.com/article/once-compared-with-mccartney-emitt-rhodes-is-now-out-there-again-for-himself

-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 30/06/2013 : 17:16:08
Those That Die ...from Emitt's Farewell To Paradise
http://grooveshark.com/search?q=emitt+rhodes+those+that+die

Are those who died so soon forgotten that we won't miss one more

Are those who live the ones who profit by fear and hate and war

The sacred life this holy garden, this swirling mass we call our home

Let no one rest through out the planet until the cannons sound their final tone

Farewell to Paradise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TORBKHsPQU8

-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 30/06/2013 : 16:30:38
EMITT RHODES: I WAS BRRRROKE MY WHOLE LIFE!

Some musical legends have a great sense of humor and love L.A. RECORD interviews. Others hate us for our trivia-scouring and just want to talk about their new line-up. But pop pioneer and engineer Emitt Rhodes, formerly of the Merry-Go-Round, whose home-recorded solo albums in the early seventies launched a thousand zine articles, and now a documentary film, is in a class by himself. He wants to talk about science, marijuana, and the downfall of society, but he sure as hell doesn’t remember recording the Quick in his garage in the winter of ’77. Dan Collins catches up with Rhodes in his home/recording studio/garage in Hawthorne on the 5th of July, after playing phone tag all day on the anniversary of America’s independence.

The documentary about you is titled ‘The One Man Beatles.’ Where did that name come from?
Emitt Rhodes: Cossimo Messeri, the guy who put it together, of course! ****, if you have to ask me…
But do you think it’s an accurate description of your music?
Emitt Rhodes: Well, I was doing the one-man-band thing. If you’re going to liken me to the Beatles, then I suppose I’ve had that correlation before. That’s an honor, really, because the Beatles … I was a big fan. Still am.
But isn’t Paul McCartney himself a one-man Beatles?
Emitt Rhodes: Okay, if you say wanna say so—ha ha! I was just trying to rationalize it for ya. If I had been asked to say something, I wouldn’t have done it! I’ve got other things to do.
People are bringing their records and stuff to the movie to get your autograph. Do you like that kind of adulation?
Emitt Rhodes: Sure! I’m going for that. And then I think I’m going for the bar.
It’s right near Canter’s Kibitz Room.
Emitt Rhodes: That’s it. I’m going!
Your solo stuff and your Merry-Go-Round recordings have a serious Americana streak. Did you consider yourself primarily an American musician, or did you consider yourself working in more of an English idiom?
Emitt Rhodes: Can I be ambiguous now? I don’t know! I was a little boy from Hawthorne.
You were only seventeen.
Emitt Rhodes: The Beatles were my greatest influence! I guess I could have gone the other way and gone for the Stones, but I just didn’t go that way.
Were you are all influenced by what Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks had tried to go for with the Smile recordings?
Emitt Rhodes: Oh, oh yeah. Brian Wilson! He’s, like, brilliant! Totally crazy, but brilliant.
But I was just listening to some of your stuff, and hearing little snippets of banjo and fiddle, it reminds me…
Emitt Rhodes: Oh yeah, I learned to play everything at one point or another.
… but it seems like more of an American flavor than the British bands would have had.
Emitt Rhodes: Uh, okay? It’s all noise to me. I was just makin’ noise.
But you were influential enough that Fairport Convention covered one of your songs, ‘Time Will Show the Wiser,’ in 1967. Do you know how that came about?
Emitt Rhodes: No.
But you are releasing a re-recording of that song that you and Iain Matthews from Fairport Convention just made within the past year.
Emitt Rhodes: Well, he recorded it, and I sang background with him on the chorus. It’s a raga now! It’s very much different than the Fairport Convention version.
When Fairport Convention’s version of ‘Time Will Show the Wiser’ came out, did you think, ‘God, these guys do it better than me?’
Emitt Rhodes: Well, I always think everybody’s better than me. I never tried really hard.
You seem to have tried really hard! One of the things I admired about songs like ‘Gonna Fight the War’ and ‘Tame the Lion’ is the very specific anti-war message.
Emitt Rhodes: Oh yeah—killing people, it’s not one of my favorite things. It frightens me! I have this angst about the world. I really think we’re going to blow ourselves up because we’ve got all this Armageddon **** going on. And I really hope we don’t.
A lot of people in the Sixties sang anti-war songs, but they couched it in these really flowery, psychedelic terms. ‘Gonna Fight the War’ seems really specific—a guy sees Vietnam on TV and wants to go fight.
Emitt Rhodes: Yeah, they take the young people, and they put them out front there, and they give them a gun. We’re animals. We’re just dumb ****ing, insane animals. And I’m one of ‘em! We teach our children to kill?! What kind of animals are we?
Do you think any of your songs encouraged people not to sign up for the killing?
Emitt Rhodes: Ha ha—I don’t think so because they’re doing it on TV all over the place! My God, when I was a young man, men didn’t kick one another! Now kicking one another is the right thing to do—like, you teach your children to go out and kick one another. That’s insane! I feel left out in this world. It’s gone horrid!
Has it gotten worse, or are we just seeing it differently?
Emitt Rhodes: It’s much worse, and it’s much dumber. It’s the lowest common denominator. Everything’s going for the groin. And it isn’t that I ain’t got one. I do! And it isn’t as if it hasn’t ruined my life from the get-go! But I’m not proud of it.
For someone with such a bleak worldview, what’s the purpose of music? Is it a solace for us because we’re all animals, and it’s a respite from pain?
Emitt Rhodes: Oh yeah. Music is pleasant! That’s why I can’t listen to the hip-hop stuff. It’s real ugly to me! Do you listen to that stuff?
I do! But my favorite music is modern classical.
Emitt Rhodes: Oh, I love classical music. I love Mozart, and Bach! It’s like we went from smart to stupid. They’re all thinking with their dicks!
But these guys have to know their Bach and Beethoven to do what they do in the studio when it gets really layered. The only difference between rock recording and hip-hop recording is that rock bands generally make their own drum beats, and hip-hop utilizes samples.
Emitt Rhodes: So what you’re saying is that hip-hop steals its stuff from other people?
Yeah, but so does all rock music. The first thing that struck me about your solo albums was ‘Oh man, the Raspberries totally ripped this off.’ Do you think they were copying you?
Emitt Rhodes: I think this stuff was all just in the air—ha ha! Good things propagate good things, you know? That’s why the world is scary. I turn on the TV and it looks like a bunch of thugs! And everything they worship and they’re going for and they’re proud of is something that I find abhorrent! I mean, it’s bling?! And women are hoes? It’s bestial! I like science and stuff, and thinking about other ****.
We are living in dark times. But maybe we treat gay people a little bit better than we used to.
Emitt Rhodes: Oh, gay people… really? If you say so. It certainly seems to be popular. I don’t go that way. I don’t think men should wear earrings. Or lipstick.
What about a little bit of guy-liner?
Emitt Rhodes: Is that the eyebrow ****?
Under the eyes!
Emitt Rhodes: I think that’s a bit narcissistic. I can’t even look at them! I have to kind of cover their face, or look away.
I’ve been guilty of it, but yeah.
Emitt Rhodes: I look a little bit, and start to get horrified, and then back away. And all the tattooing—it’s a sacrilege to God’s temple, ha ha! I mean come on, ha ha! You got 60 trillion living cells, and you’re there taking care of them!
So no Merry-Go-Round tattoos for you?
Emitt Rhodes: I mean, come on! And body piercing? That scares me too! But maybe you have earrings and you’re covered in tattoos, and I’m talking to the wrong guy! I take it all back—I love tattoos, and I love piercings, and if you’re wearing lipstick, well, I hope it’s a good shade.
Fuschia! But speaking of punk rock fashions, a little bird told me you engineered pioneering pre-punk band the Quick from L.A. Is that true?
Emitt Rhodes: Maybe! I engineered for a long time, and I worked for a lot of people.
Who else? I’m fishing!
Emitt Rhodes: I have no idea … do you know who Enrico Fermi is?
Uh, no.
Emitt Rhodes: I do! Do you know Max Planck? Albert Einstein?
Oh, you’re talking about scientists!
Emitt Rhodes: Oh, you know! I know their names, ha ha! I even know their thoughts on occasion, or at least the thoughts they passed on to us. Those are my idols! I don’t really listen to music.
Since we’re plucking obscure names out of the ether, what was it like working with Curt Boettcher, the producer who worked with Sagittarius and the Millenium? What influence did he have on your sound?
Emitt Rhodes: He brought the drugs.
Ha ha! What drugs were popular at the time?
Emitt Rhodes: It was good drugs. It was a lot of marijuana.
Yesterday in San Francisco, I went to see some friends of friends, and these guys literally were shooting up Special K.
Emitt Rhodes: I don’t know what Special K is. Is that like a cereal?
It’s an animal tranquilizer that makes you trip balls. But you’re really not supposed to shoot it up or take it very often. This one guy was just twitching. Do you think drugs have gotten worse?
Emitt Rhodes: Special K doesn’t sound good! I don’t like the sound of it… Alcohol and marijuana is just fine with me, ha ha.
Being a seventeen year old kid when you were starting out, were you hanging out with other ridiculously young people?
Emitt Rhodes: No, I was hanging out with older people most of the time.
What other bands did you try to get on the bills with?
Emitt Rhodes: I did nothing! They told me what to go and what to do. I just got in the car. I never tried to promote anything. I think what made me popular was that I was a drummer and had a garage. I think that was the attraction. Do you play guitar? Drums? Keyboards?
I play keyboards very badly.
Emitt Rhodes: I don’t play too good myself. I just got better at it because I learned to play pentatonic-ally. I looked at my hand and said, ‘Holy ****! There’s five fingers on it. Pentatonic! Pythagoras!’ And I put it on the keyboard and I just had a place for every finger. And I went over every scale, and I just now sound like I know what I’m doing—almost.
What’s your favorite minor key? Mine’s the mixolydian.
Emitt Rhodes: I’m not really sure what that is! I suppose I could get a book out. I’m not…. whrooaaaaah… I’m not really sure I’ve got one of those favorites. I kind of just feel like I use whatever I feel is appropriate for your pacing and your tune. I use a whole bunch of chords! The songs I’m recording now all have more chords than there are on the scale.
That’s hard to do.
Emitt Rhodes: No, it’s really easy for me to do now. The pentatonic thing, and that Pythagorean thing. And that diminished chord! You can put the diminished chord practically between anywhere and anything! You take the third and the fifth and you bring it down a half-step, and there you are!
That sounds as complex as the Merry-Go-Round—basically the only other band outside of the Left Banke to be considered ‘Baroque Pop’ by music journalists. But did that phrase come later? At the time, did you consider yourself to be a Baroque popper?
Emitt Rhodes: No… to put myself in a category, okay, pop, yeah, definitely pop. But ‘Brrr-roke?’ Come to think of it, I was brrrroke my whole life! Yeah, a brrrrrrrroke popper! That’s exactly what I am! Holy ****ING ****, it’s just dawned on me, that’s exactly what I am! A brrrrrroke popper! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
The Left Banke got the Four Tops to cover ‘Walk Away Renee.’ Did any of your songs get covered by soul or Motown artists?
Emitt Rhodes: No… I’ve had stars come in and out of the studio here. Somebody brought Little Richard over for this one session, and he passed this bottle of wine around that I think he urinated in. Sam of Sam & Dave. Basketball players. Give me a break, will ya? I don’t remember who’s done what and when and where and why. I haven’t done engineering in some time. I went completely bonkers crazy and stopped doing anything. I stopped communicating with people and just stared at the wall. I don’t drive anymore. I gave that up.
Why’d you give it up?
Emitt Rhodes: I passed out at a stoplight and ran into the back of a truck, and they didn’t trust me anymore.
Was it alcohol-related?
Emitt Rhodes: It wasn’t related to being intoxicated—I’m a diabetic. It was low blood sugar. Before I passed out, I was going into Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, and I thought it was the silliest thing in the world. I was having so much fun with just whooa, whaaa! You get really dumb when you have low blood sugar.
Your song ‘Saturday Night’ is so sad—it always makes me want to reach for the Scotch. Do you feel guilty about pushing people towards alcohol?
Emitt Rhodes: That’s too old. You should get into the things I’m doing now! You’re talking about you want to cry, ha ha! I got a bunch of songs that will make you want to die. ‘I think it’s time to give it all up! What do I do?’ kind of ****. Hopelessness. I’m totally hopeless! I don’t think things are gonna get better. I think things are going to stay the same.
Recording at your own home studio in a garage was pretty novel at the time you were doing it—in the late sixties and early seventies. How much did it cost to set up?
Emitt Rhodes: Well, I used egg cartons on the walls, and acoustic tiles. It wasn’t a whole bunch of money. I don’t really recall. Money was so different then. And it was worth so much more! You don’t realize it, but money’s like worthless now. We’re going to start wiping our asses with it really soon.
Besides egg cartons, did you use any crazy Rube Goldberg contraptions to set things up and make them work on the cheap?
Emitt Rhodes: I did things like take two serial tape machines and put them together and twisted the tape between them to make a four track. I pushed in and out with my foot… you name it! All the things that one did back then that one doesn’t have to do now. You just click your mouse.
Does it make you angry that now everyone has a home studio, and you pioneered it?
Emitt Rhodes: No, not in the least bit! I think it’s all remarkable stuff! When my ship comes in, I’m going to get myself a disk drive and a recording system.
Maybe the documentary will be such a resounding success that you’ll get major money out of it.
Emitt Rhodes: I just hope I don’t die of shame!

THE ONE MAN BEATLES + EMITT RHODES TRIBUTE SHOW AS PART OF THE DON’T KNOCK THE ROCK FILM FESTIVAL, ON THURSDAY, JULY 8 [2010], AT CINEFAMILY, 611 NORTH FAIRFAX AVE., LOS ANGELES. 8 PM / $15 / ALL AGES. CINEFAMILY.ORG. FIRST 20 VISITORS RECEIVE FREE COPY OF RHODES’ LATEST RECORDING. BRING ALBUMS AND MEMORABILIA FOR SIGNING AFTER THE SHOW.

-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 30/06/2013 : 16:13:03
She's Such A Beauty....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPDy6m1S-rQ

Golden Child Of God...breathtaking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZqJW2f4Tgg

Love Will Stone You...a real fave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDA-ULQdABo

-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 30/06/2013 : 15:53:05
EMITT RHODES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CvzawbXLS8
Live Till You Die....medley

Recording career

The Merry-Go-Round had a recording contract with A&M Records when they disbanded in 1969. Rhodes recorded songs at A&M to fulfill that contract, but A&M decided to not release it at the time. Rhodes then decided to go out on his own and bought equipment to make a recording studio in his parents' garage. Rhodes recorded his first album (Emitt Rhodes) in that home studio. He got a recording contract with ABC/Dunhill Records, who released his album, as well as the next two albums he recorded (Mirror and Farewell to Paradise). Rhodes got a $5,000 advance for Emitt Rhodes, which he spent on recording equipment.

His first album was a critical success – Billboard called Rhodes "one of the finest artists on the music scene today" and later called his first album one of the "best albums of the decade".

The album reached number 29 on the Billboard charts. The single "Fresh as a Daisy" reached number 54 on the pop chart. Meanwhile, shortly after Emitt Rhodes was released by Dunhill, A&M decided to release their old recordings of The American Dream, which confused record buyers. Mirror was released in 1971 and did reach the top 200 on Billboard's album chart. In 1973 Dunhill released Rhodes' final album, Farewell to Paradise.

Rhodes wrote all of the songs on his albums. On Emitt Rhodes, Mirror, and Farewell to Paradise, he played all of the instruments and sang all of the vocals while recording himself in his home recording studio. He used a four-track recorder for the instruments for Emitt Rhodes and transferred those to an eight-track recorder to add the vocals. He used an eight-track recorder for Mirror, and Farewell to Paradise. The mixdown engineer on Farewell to Paradise was Curt Boettcher, the producer and musician who is best remembered for his work on the "soft pop" albums by Sagittarius and The Millennium.

Rhodes' contract with Dunhill called for an album every six months (six albums over three years) – a schedule that was impossible for Rhodes to meet, due to writing all of the songs and recording each instrument and vocal individually by himself.[1] Dunhill sued Rhodes for $250,000 and withheld royalties because of his failure to deliver albums on the timescale required by the contract. Emitt Rhodes took nearly a year to record, the album Mirror took nine months, and Farewell to Paradise took over a year.

Later

After Farewell to Paradise, Rhodes stopped performing and released no more material, except on compilations. He continued to record his songs in his studio, but they were unreleased except for one song on Listen, Listen.[1] He worked as a recording engineer and record producer for Elektra Records. He runs his own studio for recording other acts.

Rhodes' song "Lullabye" (from Emitt Rhodes) was featured in the 2001 Wes Anderson film The Royal Tenenbaums.

In January and February 2009, Italian director Cosimo Messeri shot a documentary movie about Emitt Rhodes's vicissitudes: life, past, present, troubles and hopes. The movie, entitled The One Man Beatles, was selected for the International Rome Film Festival 2009,[2] and received standing ovations. In 2010 "The One Man Beatles" was nominated for David di Donatello Award as Best Documentary of 2010. Its US Premiere screening is scheduled for May 29, 2010 at the Rhino Records Pop Up Store in Westwood, California.

New songs

Also in 2009, after many years of rumors as to the possibility of a new CD, Emitt once again entered the recording studios with a new band and all new material. He is joined by the co-founder of The Grass Roots and The Merry-Go-Round drummer Joel Larson, co-founder and former bassist for Counting Crows, Matt Malley, and guitarists Jim Rolfe and Dan Mayer. Also participating on three of Emitt's new songs is legendary guitarist Richard Thompson, whose band Fairport Convention covered Emitt's song "Time Will Show the Wiser" in 1967. Bangles' members Vicki Peterson and Debbi Peterson, who covered Emitt's song "Live" on their debut album, also make an appearance.

In 2010, Emitt, along with Rhodes Band’s Matt Malley, joined another ex-member of Fairport Convention, Iain Matthews, on a new version of "Time Will Show the Wiser", arranged, produced and performed by Nick Vernier Band. This recording, initially released on Nick Vernier Band's "Sessions"-album, marked Emitt's first new release as a featured artist in almost four decades. Both Emitt and Iain recorded this Rhodes-original early on in their careers, the song being starting points as well as signature works for The Merry-Go-Round and Fairport Convention respectively. The new version united the two singers in an Indian musical setting. Also in 2010, a tribute album titled Long Time, No See was released. It contained Emitt Rhodes songs recorded by various artists.

On November 3, 2011, Emitt released three new songs on iTunes titled "Just Me And You", "What's A Man to Do" and "This Wall Between Us", featuring back up singing by Vicki and Debbi Peterson of the Bangles, and guitar work by Richard Thompson.

Mentioned by caller Rick in Dallas on the Dennis Miller Radio Show, 6/21/13.

Discography

Studio albums

* The Merry-Go-Round (1967, with The Merry-Go-Round) reached #190 on the Billboard 200
* Emitt Rhodes (1970) #29
* Mirror (1971) #182
* The American Dream (1971) #194
* Farewell to Paradise (1973)

-lk

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page