Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General discussions about music
 DENNIS WILSON-Pacific Ocean Blue-40 yrs old today

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 22/04/2008 : 03:18:16
Well actually yesterday...released August 22, 1977!
A wonderful album that is still as relevant and wonderful today...

Pacific Ocean Blue

One listen makes you realise that the Flaming Lips, Midlake and Eric Matthews weren't that innovative ...-Eric Easlea BBC 2008

Full album play--listen and enjoy...so great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB6REIZ5GbM

Pacific Ocean Blue is Dennis Wilson's only solo album, released in 1977. It was the first solo album released by a member of the Beach Boys, and when released, was both warmly received critically, and noted for outselling the Beach Boys' contemporary efforts.[4]After several attempts, starting in 1970, to realize his own project, some of which made it to the finished album, Wilson recorded the bulk of Pacific Ocean Blue in the months spanning the fall of 1976 to the following spring, at the Beach Boys' own Brother Studios. At the time of recording, Dennis' hard living had begun affecting his looks and more importantly his singing voice, which now delivered grainy and rough, yet still deeply soulful, vocals.

Recalling the time Wilson spent working on the album, co-producer Gregg Jakobson said, "This was when he fully accepted himself as an artist. Brian had shown him chords on the piano, but as he'd become more proficient the music that came forth was not derivative of that. Having his own studio helped tremendously. With a little encouragement, and the right tools, Dennis took off."

Release and legacy

Released in August 1977, Pacific Ocean Blue received glowing reviews for its depth and emotion. It has allegedly been praised by his older brother Brian Wilson, but in a 2008 interview with Pitchfork Media, Brian denied knowing that Dennis had recorded an album at all. The album also performed encouragingly in the U.S. charts peaking at #96 for a 12 week chart stay, and eventually went on to sell almost 300,000 copies.

Despite Wilson's pledge to record an even superior follow-up, entitled Bambu, his continuing decline into substance abuse and personal problems ensured that the album remained unfinished at the time of Wilson's drowning death in December 1983.

Thus, this album, alongside his pioneering work with the Beach Boys, remains a focal point of Dennis Wilson's legacy, even being referred to as a "lost classic." The album has appeared on several "Best-of" lists[14] including Robert Dimery's "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die,"[15] and Mojo's "Lost Albums You Must Own" and "70 of the Greatest Albums of the 70s" lists. In 2005, it was ranked #18 in GQ's "The 100 Coolest Albums in the World Right Now!" list.

REISSUE

Issued by Caribou/CBS Records on CD in 1991, Pacific Ocean Blue went out of print within a year due to ongoing disagreements over copyright ownership; the album was virtually unavailable for more than fifteen years. Copies of the extremely rare 1991 CD sold for over $200.

Legacy Recordings released a special 30th anniversary, 2-disc edition of Pacific Ocean Blue on June 17, 2008. It includes material from the Bambu sessions. A limited edition 180-gram vinyl multi-LP box set was also released on the Sundazed label. (that's what I'm TALKING about! -lk)

Notable on the reissue is the inclusion of the song "Holy Man", recorded for Pacific Ocean Blue in 1977, in two versions. Wilson had completed work on the instrumental backing track but abandoned the song before recording the vocal. For the reissue Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters was recruited to record a vocal version in Wilson's style.

Despite missing the UK Album Chart on its original 1977 release, the expanded reissue of Pacific Ocean Blue entered the UK album chart at #16, also reaching #5 on the Norway album chart. In addition, the package managed to attain a high of #8 on Billboard's Top Pop Catalog Albums chart.

All songs written by Dennis Wilson and Gregg Jakobson, except where noted.

Side one

1. "River Song" (Dennis Wilson/Carl Wilson) - 3:44
2. "What's Wrong" (D. Wilson/Gregg Jakobson/Michael Horn) - 2:22
3. "Moonshine" - 2:27
4. "Friday Night" - 3:09
5. "Dreamer" - 4:22
6. "Thoughts of You" (D. Wilson/Jim Dutch) - 3:02

Side two

7. "Time" (D. Wilson/Karen Lamm-Wilson) - 3:31
8. "You and I" (D. Wilson/Lamm-Wilson/Jakobson) - 3:25
9. "Pacific Ocean Blues" (D. Wilson/Mike Love) - 2:39
10. "Farewell My Friend" (D. Wilson) - 2:26
11. "Rainbows" (D. Wilson/C. Wilson/Steve Kalinich) - 2:55
12. "End of the Show" - 2:55

30th Anniversary Edition
Disc One[edit source

1. "River Song" - 3:44
2. "What's Wrong" - 2:23
3. "Moonshine" - 2:27
4. "Friday Night" - 3:10
5. "Dreamer" - 4:23
6. "Thoughts of You" - 3:04
7. "Time" - 3:32
8. "You and I" - 3:25
9. "Pacific Ocean Blues" - 2:37
10. "Farewell My Friend" - 2:26
11. "Rainbows" - 2:48
12. "End of the Show" - 2:57
13. "Tug of Love" (Dennis Wilson/Gregg Jakobson) - 3:44
14. "Only with You" (D. Wilson/Mike Love) - 3:57
15. "Holy Man" [instrumental] (D. Wilson/Jakobson) - 4:24
16. "Mexico" (D. Wilson) - 5:31

Disc Two: Bambu (The Caribou Sessions)

1. "Under The Moonlight" (Carli Munoz) - 3:55
2. "It's Not Too Late" (Carli Munoz) - 4:22
3. "School Girl" (Dennis Wilson/Gregg Jakobson) - 2:31
4. "Love Remember Me" (D. Wilson/Jakobson/Steve Kalinich) - 4:04
5. "Love Surrounds Me" (D. Wilson/Geoffrey Cushing-Murray) - 3:40
6. "Wild Situation" (D. Wilson/Jakobson) - 2:41
7. "Common" (D. Wilson) - 3:34
8. "Are You Real" (D. Wilson/Jakobson) - 3:38
9. "He's a Bum" (D. Wilson/Jakobson) - 2:50
10. "Cocktails" (D. Wilson/Jakobson/John Hanlon) - 3:00
11. "I Love You" (D. Wilson/Jakobson) - 2:02
12. "Constant Companion" (Munoz/Rags Baker) - 3:22
13. "Time for Bed" (D. Wilson/Jakobson) - 3:07
14. "Album Tag Song" (D. Wilson) - 3:45
15. "All Alone" (Munoz) - 3:44
16. "Piano Variations on "Thoughts of You"" (D. Wilson) - 3:03
17. "Holy Man (Taylor Hawkins Version)" (D. Wilson/Jakobson/Taylor Hawkins) - 4:25

Personnel

* Dennis Wilson — Strings, Drums, Keyboards, Vocals, Producer
* Carli Munoz — Piano, Keyboards, Moog synthesizer, percussion, Producer
* Carl Wilson — Lead guitar, Vocals
* Bruce Johnston — background Vocals
* Hal Blaine — Drums
* Chuck Domanico — Bass
* Ricky Fataar — Drums
* John Hanlon — Guitar, Engineer
* Gregg Jakobson — Producer
* James Jamerson — Bass
* Earle Mankey — Guitar, Engineer
* Dean Torrence — Background Vocals
* Steven Moffitt #151; Chief Engineer
* Michael Andreas — Horn
* Lance Buller — Horn
* Sterling Smith — Keyboards
* Tommy Smith — Drums
* Dave Hessler — Bass
* Ed Carter — Bass, Guitar
* Bobby Figueroa — Drums
* Wayne Tweed — Bass
* Manolo Badrena — Percussion
* Janice Hubbard — Horn
* Bill Lamb — Horn
* Charles McCarthy — Horn
* Stephen Moffitt — Engineer
* Eddie Tuleja — Guitar, Vocals
* Sid Sharp — Live strings ensemble
* Alexander Hamilton's Double Rock Baptist Choir

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 23/08/2017 : 15:27:30

"Under The Moonlight" (Carli Munoz) Sung By Dennis Wilson Bambu (The Caribou Sessions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61DMZnVZhIk

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. Đ GENE CLARK
captain america and billy Posted - 03/09/2013 : 16:51:13
Isn't "Pacific Blue" drummer Ricky Fataar the man who played Stig O'Hara,the George Harrison character in the Rutles?
lemonade kid Posted - 02/09/2013 : 20:16:16
Listen to this track from the second disk, BAMBU, and read on...beautiful...I see a bit of the Dude in Denny.

It's Not Too Late
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKcrdGULvbw

The wonderful and revealing liner notes for:

Dennis Wilson
Pacific Ocean Blue

Caribou/Epic/Legacy
88697 079162

The hand-signed note originally inserted in the 1977 vinyl....sweet

“This is my first solo album away from the Beach Boys. I’m sure you understand that I’m a bit nervous about this endeavor. I want to thank you for your support and I would be very interested in any comments or suggestions you might have after listening to this album.

Thank you,
Dennis Wilson”

Dear Audree – This is for Denny and Carl
Dennis – this is for your children … your friend … JW

Original Album Credits:

Produced by Dennis Wilson and Gregg Jakobson

Producer and Engineer on Mixdown:
Stephen Moffitt

Digitally Remastered by:
Joe Gastwirt

Digitally Remastered at:
Ocean View Digital Recording,
West Los Angeles, California

Originally Mastered at:
L.R.S. in Burbank, California

Engineers:
Stephen Moffitt
Earl Mankey
John Hanlon

Guitars:
Ed Carter
Ed Tuleja
Earl Mankey
John Hanlon

Bass:
Ed Carter
James Jamerson
Chuck Domanico

Keyboards:
Dennis Wilson

Drums:
Hal Blaine
Bobby Figueroa
Ricky Fataar
Dennis Wilson

Horns and Reeds:
Bill Lamb
Michael Andreas
Lance Buller
Janice Hubbard
Charlie McCarthy

Vocal Backgrounds:
Karen Lamm-Wilson
Trisha Roach
Billy Hinsche
Ed Tuleja
Baron Stewart
Gregg Jacobson
Jim Dutch
Bruce Johnston
Curt Becher
Joe Chemay
John Joyce
Alexander Hamilton and The Double Rock Baptist Choir

Arrangements:
Dennis Wilson
Jimmie Haskell

Album Design:
Dean O. Torrence and John Berg

Photography:
Dean O. Torrence
Karen Lamm-Wilson

God Bless You Bruce

I would like to thank all my wonderful friends for their love and support in making this album.

Thank you Jimmy G.

All songs published by Dennis Wilson Music (BMI) Copyright 1977 Dennis Wilson Music
Used by permission. All Rights Reserved.

Reissue Credits:

Produced for Reissue by Rob Santos
Mastered by Vic Anesini at Sony Music Studios & Battery Studios, NYC

Executive Producer: James William Guercio
Associate Producer: Don Williams
Legacy A&R: Steve Berkowitz
Analog to Digital Transfers: Mark Linett and Alan Boyd at
Your Place or Mine Recording
Project Research: Jon Stebbins and Alan Boyd
Project Direction: Adam Farber and Mandy Eidgah
Editorial Supervision: Jeremy Holiday
Art Direction/Design: David Gorman and Arthur Nakata for Hackmart Inc.
Photography: All photos by Dean O. Torrence/Kittyhawk Graphis; except cover: Karen Lamm-Wilson; pages 3, 13, 17, 28: Ed Roach/roach-clips.com; page 15: Michael Putland/Retna Memorabilia courtesy of Brad Rosenberger and Daniel Rutherford.

Many thanks to Dennis' family and supporters:
Jennifer Wilson, Michael Wilson, Carl Wilson, Gage Wilson, Scott Wilson, Carole Wilson-Bloom, Barbara Wilson, Shawn Wilson, Shannon Johnson, Ken Petrulis, Shelley Surpin, Trustee of the Dennis Wilson Trust

Special Thanks: Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, Billy Hinsche, Annie Wilson-Karges, Jonah Wilson, Justyn Wilson, Dan Addington, David Beard, Adam Block, Lee Dempsey, Duncan Gibbon, Tim Fraser-Harding, Taylor Hawkins, John Ingrassia, Bob Irwin, Jeff Jones, Stephen Kalinich, David Leaf, Elliott Lott, Cheryl Pawelski, Henry Root, Brad Rosenberger, Daniel Rutherford, Marilyn Wilson Rutherford, Jeff Schulberg, Craig Slowinski, Sandy Tomes, Dean Torrence, Frank Ursoleo, Russ Wapensky

The rest of the liner notes.....

Although he is remembered by the masses as the tanned, surfing drummer brother of Brian Wilson’s Beach Boys, Dennis Wilson was also a widely underrated singer-songwriter in his own right. Thirty years after he recorded these tracks, Dennis is finally given a righteous reissue treatment by Sony Legacy with the 2008 two CD set reissue of his two late ‘70s solo albums. As is evidenced by his mostly unheralded songs with The Beach Boys, Dennis—compared to say his brother Brian—preferred broad sweeping musical pop canvases, almost symphonic and dirge-like sounding rock in places. The Legacy Edition of Pacific Ocean Blue features the long awaited remastering of the entire twelve track 1977 album, produced by James William Guercio, along with four bonus cuts. Disc two features the first ever legit reissue of Wilson’s unreleased second album, Bambu—a generous 16 tracks from the sessions plus a bonus cut. Commenting on the 2008 reissue POB producer Guercio adds, ‘In all those years since Pacific Ocean Blue became a rare gem, I have been eager to make it more widely available. The music that caught the ear of critics and fans in 1977 has fallen from popular consciousness in the last two decades, and it has long been due this incredible treatment. The devotion that the Legacy recordings crew has shown to both the official album and the huge number of unreleased tracks is a testament to the strength of Dennis’ musical genius.’ As Guercio correctly points out, Legacy has gone all out with their 2008 double CD Legacy Edition of Pacific Ocean Blue, releasing it with some spiffy digi-pak artwork, historic liner notes—including an essay by Brian Wilson associate David Leaf embedded on disc one—and poignant period piece photos of Dennis by Dean Torrance of Jan & Dean. Fans of Dennis Wilson’s excellent drumming and remembered song writing on classic early ‘70s Beach Boys albums like Sunflower and Holland will enjoy a heavenly retro musical buzz here. www.thebeachboys.com

--http://www.mwe3.com/reviews/DennisWilsonPOB/

LOVE REMEMBER ME...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGIRu32EqME

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 01/09/2013 : 22:26:57
Dennis Wilson / Pacific Ocean Blue / Review
BBC Review

Long unavailable, many have never heard this record. Never being much of a Beach Boys fan growing up (simply too overrated); the more people eulogised about this and offered me a listen to a black-market copy of Dennis Wilson's lone solo outing, the more I shied away. Well, my smart-arsed loss. Pacific Ocean Blue is nearly as good as everyone has always said it was. And the poignancy of Wilson's life and death further enforces its status as a critical holy grail. It even may be worthy of the quantity of chin that has been stroked to it over the years.

What a pleasure to discover it now. Pacific Ocean Blue is the amusement arcade with the paint peeling, the carnie clown's cracked make-up fading as they pack away their act after another late September weekend of half-full applause and bitter tears. The other side of summer. Released in 1977, it was the first ever Beach Boy solo album, and much to the chagrin of Mike Love in particular, it became the sort of artistic success that the group themselves hadn't enjoyed for a long while.

Written and recorded in fits and starts since the mid-70s, Wilson took his brother Brian's painstaking approach, but came to the studio as a non-musician, with boundless possibilities that had to offer. The bass harmonicas and Dixie jazz of Dreamer; the layered vocals of River, Time with its flugelhorn, all dazzle in their understated way. Wilson's voice is the real revelation. It's barely there, sounds like its on the brink of collapse, and has a charm all of its own.

The accompanying Bambu sessions weren't designed to be a full album, and they lack the cohesive nature of the first disc. But for his duet with brother Carl, It’s Not Too Late alone, and Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins’ spirited vocal version of Holy Man, it completes a genuinely exciting package which will finally bring the recording to a new and much-deserved audience.

Only 200,000 people bought Pacific Ocean Blue. To paraphrase Brian Eno's quotation about the Velvet Underground, half went on to make records that sounded like it; half went on to be music critics. One listen makes you realise that the Flaming Lips, Midlake and Eric Matthews weren’t that innovative after all.

Creative Commons Licence This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence. If you choose to use this review on your site please link back to this page.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/fm9x

-lk
lemonade kid Posted - 01/09/2013 : 22:21:05
Dennis Wilson
Pacific Ocean Blue: Legacy Edition

Legacy / Caribou; 1977/2008
By
Mike Orme--Pitchfork
July 8, 2008

[

We're certainly lucky that Brian Wilson got it together to complete the legendary Smile sessions, his long-languishing answer to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band-- many didn't expect him to reach middle age. With brother Dennis there was also a suspicion he would depart before his time and, sadly in that case, those fears came true. Indeed, all three Wilson brothers suffered the physical and emotional scars left by their abusive father, Murry, and the middle Wilson brother coped by living the fast life of a rebellious drifter. He fell in (albeit briefly) with Charles Manson and ran through many wives and girlfriends. Always overshadowed by brothers Brian and Carl, drummer Dennis fell victim to the common misconception that session player Hal Blaine manned the skins exclusively in the studio at Brian's behest. In actuality, Dennis made sporadic but dramatic contributions during even Brian's creative peak, steering the group towards surfing culture and nurturing rough-hewn musical talents before drowning off the shore of Marina del Ray in 1983 at 39.

By the mid-1970s, with Brian a troubled recluse and Mike Love angling for more creative control, Dennis Wilson entered the studio with his friend and songwriter Gregg Jakobson; in 1977, he released Pacific Ocean Blue-- a raw, bluesy masterpiece of ocean-worshipping psychedelia. The record was always tough to find, but unlike SMiLE it's no "lost" classic: released around the same time as the middling Love You, Brian's attempt at a 70s comeback, Pacific Ocean Blue actually sold about the same as its counterpart, about 300,000 copies. Problem is, the record was out of print for almost 20 years. Despiite positive critical notices, Dennis was once again swept under the rug.

Pacific Ocean Blue, however, is a wonderful study in Beach Boys surfer soul imbued with the expressiveness of Dennis' piano style. It's also a meditation on a complex world, one devoid of the nostalgic innocence preached by the Mike Love-fronted Beach Boys of late, and its remastered, 2xCD Legacy Recordings release-- the first CD release of the album since 1991-- is astoundingly refreshing.

Unlike Brian, who circa SMiLE was tweaking his vocals to sound younger (on "Child Is Father of the Man" Brian sounds more like classic Eno than classic Wilson), Dennis' voice had already deteriorated due to years of hard living and heavy drinking. Seething with emotion, Wilson's croon is plain but pliable, sounding on "What's Wrong" like a grizzled blues or folk singer but stretching to higher registers on "Pacific Ocean Blues". Wilson was in his mid-thirties when he recorded the vocals to "Time", a sorely honest piano-driven ballad about womanizing; nevertheless, he sounds like someone physically and emotionally twenty years his senior, a grizzled old soul reveling in the ephemeral nature of time and, more surprisingly, love.

The second disc is a collection of tracks written during and after Pacific Ocean Blue for Caribou Records with Carli Muńoz. Dennis originally thought that the results of these sessions would become Bambu, his planned follow-up to Pacific Ocean Blue, but his increasing substance abuse problems and Beach Boys obligations kept it from completion. So the tracks that make up the Bambu disc here are by no means meant to comprise the album as it was originally intended. Wilson once called the record "a hundred times better than Pacific Ocean Blue"-- a boast he was never able to back up. At any rate, some of these songs trickled onto late 70s Beach Boys records, and many of them have already been made available on bootlegs throughout the years. Completists might complain that the entire Bambu sessions aren't included, but considering the volumes of recording that Wilson managed in the late 70s, a little bit of editorial discretion here is appreciated.

This second disc doesn't feature a whole lot of continuity, however, shuffling awkwardly from psychedelic soul jams like "Wild Situation" to the towering synthesizer-tinged pop instrumental "Common". The moodiest compositions on the disc are the peaks: "Common", "Are You Real" (which suddenly turns into an outtake from Air's The Virgin Suicides), and the analog synthesizer strains of "Cocktails" hint at new artistic blueprints for Wilson. Closing the disc is "Holy Man", an unfinished composition that Wilson never got a chance to sing over, and here they are filled out by uncannily similar-sounding vocals by Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins.

Brian Wilson grew obsessed with comparing himself with Paul McCartney; comparing Dennis to his Beatles counterpart makes little sense except in terms of contrast. Whereas Ringo was a consummate professional who adopted a simple-seeming but complex playing style, Dennis Wilson developed his own talents almost entirely on the back of emotion, not technical expertise. His works show the obvious influence of the blues and soul, with Wilson manifestly stating the predicament of his own aimless love and rootless existence. Always an artistic spirit, a slacker with a penchant for surfing, an incurable womanizer, a morbid alcoholic, Dennis Wilson was a player in life's essential boundaries, fated to cross the big one far too soon. Anyone enthralled by Brian Wilson's 30-year journey from the brink should examine Dennis' work as well.

-lk
bob f. Posted - 23/04/2008 : 02:22:18
lemonade, i've had it on my wish list for years. Caribou/Epic/Legacy
is to release a 2 CD version May 13!

...what the world needs now...
TJSAbass Posted - 23/04/2008 : 00:37:31
Cool! Here's a link:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/48244-dennis-wilsons-ipacific-ocean-bluei-finally-reissued

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page