Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Royalties accumulated overtime

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
abraxas Posted - 05/03/2012 : 05:50:39
I wasn't sure what a good amount of royalites that Arthur earned overtime from the 60s all the way to his comeback in the 2000s. I'm pretty sure he proably earned somewhere about 4-6 million dollars in his lifetime from albums/live events/publishing sales. I'm not sure if his estate owns the publishing rights to his songs, and I'm not sure the same thing about Bryan as well.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 09/03/2012 : 18:51:13
Prison probably helped him, financially. Arthur was very serious about his career when he was released, not just doing 50 minute sets for 10 bucks at places like Tramps and relying on Distortion record sales!
abraxas Posted - 09/03/2012 : 04:36:25
I suppose from 2002 to 2006, Arthur proably earned maybe somewhere from 75k to 250k and he proably had a little more and had to pay lawyers.
Joe Morris Posted - 08/03/2012 : 21:47:27
he did well when he was "inside" (in jail) from what I'm told, with good deals from labels like Yeaah and Viper
that live performances saw release on

I don't know if he owed a lot to his lawyer for his appeals
but I imagine the reason Arthur toured endlessly after his release from prison was to raise some bread. You figure Baby Lemonade did alright, but Arthur probably got most of the cash for touring

Whether any other members got much bread from royalties after their heyday (1966-8) is open to question. Forssi, Echols, Stuart, etc
all got co writes on various Love tracks, but whether they got their fair share...?

The Doors undoubtedly lasted longer as they split the publishing and saw the band collectively credited for music & lyrics
lemonade kid Posted - 08/03/2012 : 16:37:15
If Arthur made much more than what he earned on his advances & live performance gigs after the post FC incarnations, I would be surprised.
Love's recordings would be lucky to earn back the advances on expenses.

1967 & earlier would have been Arthur's halcyon days.

Royalties?...did Love in it's complete history sell even a grand total of a million units in 40 years? That doesn't add up to much in the long run, and certainly NOT what they should have sold if valued by their worth.

Arthur was not a millionaire...benefit concerts are not held for ailing mega-rich superstars!

But you are worth your weight in gold, Arthur!

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers & discoverers-
-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
Joe Morris Posted - 07/03/2012 : 20:29:30
Probably why theres some bitterness with Elektra on Echols part at least!
lemonade kid Posted - 07/03/2012 : 17:37:24
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

according to the recent book Liz McKee (Bryans mom) had to fight for her sons royalties

I'm assuming she gets the royalties from Bryans solo stuff (without Love) like Intra Muros, Candys Waltz, My Favorite Song, etc

And likely the royalties due to the band members for album sales.....Michael (and Kenny?) sued for that and got it. I wonder if it was ever settled that the label would pay out the royalties INStEAD of counting on Arthur &his estate now, to do it?! I gather Arthur wasn't totally fair in that distribution.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
abraxas Posted - 07/03/2012 : 09:02:24
I'm not sure if my estimate of 4-6 million is close to what Arthur earned in his lifetime from royalties.
Joe Morris Posted - 07/03/2012 : 01:37:45
according to the recent book Liz McKee (Bryans mom) had to fight for her sons royalties

I'm assuming she gets the royalties from Bryans solo stuff (without Love) like Intra Muros, Candys Waltz, My Favorite Song, etc
abraxas Posted - 06/03/2012 : 02:59:52
I'm not sure how the whole royalty issue is dealt with the estates of Arthur, Bryan, and Ken. I'm sure their families have lawyers that sort it all out or something.
Joe Morris Posted - 06/03/2012 : 01:01:10
Of course Arthur didn't know he would get out in 6 years following one of his appeals

Arthur wasn't hurting for cash, I guess, with all the reissues and live albums that came out when he was in the joint, but
didn't Bryan's mom have to fight for her songs copyrights to get some money from them?

Don't know how owning their own copyright worked out for Love
lemonade kid Posted - 05/03/2012 : 21:47:01
You are right. But didn't he retain rights to some aspects of the music, and the royalties for record sales/reissues etc.

Though Arthur always seemed to have enough, or found ways to stay comfortable enough it seems, he was by no means a mega rich superstar. But that may have been his "end" if he had been, with his issues. Money is the root of all evil for some who can't control their self destructive needs.

Of course even Arthur said prison may have saved his life...even if he knew and greatly resented the fact that he did not deserve to be there.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
underture Posted - 05/03/2012 : 20:26:57
Didn't Arthur sell the rights to Grass Roots music when he had his legal difficulties? And I belive that Bryan's mom got his copyrights for his four songs back.

You Set The Scene
lemonade kid Posted - 05/03/2012 : 20:01:34
quote:
Originally posted by abraxas

I wasn't sure what a good amount of royalites that Arthur earned overtime from the 60s all the way to his comeback in the 2000s. I'm pretty sure he proably earned somewhere about 4-6 million dollars in his lifetime from albums/live events/publishing sales. I'm not sure if his estate owns the publishing rights to his songs, and I'm not sure the same thing about Bryan as well.

Arthur was the first Elektra artist to demand (& receive) retaining all artistic rights to his songs & Love's works. I am sure he kept those to the end of his days.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page