Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Every original LoVE song in capsule: 1966-68

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
underture Posted - 25/08/2011 : 14:52:18
I think that it would be nice to have a reference point for each LoVE song in the original catalogue. Thus I would like to embark on this in order, starting with the first album, first song on side one and procede through to Laughing Stock. There won't be anything new here, just a reference point. If anyone sees an error or omission or would like to offer an opinion please do so. Here goes...

"My Little Red Book" from LoVE, side one song one.
-Running time: 2:30
-Recorded at Sunset Sound January 25, 1966. Last song recorded that day.
-Written by Hal David and Burt Bacharach, one of two non orginals from first album.
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Alban 'Snoopy' Pfisterer
-From the motion picture "What's New, *****cat?" that Arthur and Johnny saw. They liked the song but when they set about organizing it they had to play from memory and ultimately sped up the song and into a major key.
-Original version done by Manfred Mann.
-Released in March 1966, it was the most radio friendly, pop song of the band's career; it was also their first national hit, peaking at # 52.
-Band appeared on "American Band Stand" on June 18,1966 to promote the song. Reportedly Arthur and Bryan's horseplay during the Bobby Fuller Four
performance earned them a permanent non-invite back from Dick Clark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftO9ClIhFAo

-First Elektra song ever to play on top 40 radio. Jac Holzman said when he first heard the song on his car radio he pulled over to cry in joy.
-Fun Fact: Purportedly Bacharach did not like the bands version of his song, but Snoopy had this to say: "They wrote it and we took it".

-Lyrics:

I just got out my little red book
The minute that you said goodbye I thumbed right through my little red book
I wasn't gonna sit and cry And I went from A to Z I took out every pretty girl in town
They danced with me and as I held them

Chorus:
All I did was talk about you
Hear your name and I start to cry
There's just no getting over you... oh, no...

There ain't no girl in my little red book
Who could ever replace your charms
And each girl in my little red book
Knows you're the one I'm thinkin' of
Oh won't you please come back
Without your precious love I can't go on
Where can love be I need you so much
[repeat chorus]

Oh won't you please come back
Without your precious love I can't go on
It's haunting me I need you so much

All I did was talk and talk about you
There's just no getting over you
All I did was talk and talk about you
There's just no getting over you... oh no

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
markk Posted - 16/05/2019 : 18:18:44
Yes totally agree, it was a lot of fun.
I still try to spread a little Love.
A short story , for example. A few weeks ago I was giving a ride to a
16 year old girl from Mexico, staying here as an exchange student.
I had Love Story disc one going on in the car. After a little while she told me wow I really love that music. Who is it. Well I told her.
lemonade kid Posted - 14/05/2019 : 22:37:52
No, mk. Apart from the few regulars left like John9, Bobby Fisher, Joe, Dukie , Steve64 and a few others (forgive me for leaving any of you out) we sadly don't get many posters here anymore.

I long for the days when we were getting dozens of posts here every day, when this was one of the most popular forums I visited.

We got a huge drop off when the site went down for a number of months, and it seems most never came back.

Let's get some love back on the best Love site in the world.

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK
markk Posted - 14/05/2019 : 20:49:32
Just rereading this fantastic thread, very great. LK do you know what happened to rocker. He seemed to disappear.
lemonade kid Posted - 12/05/2019 : 17:08:26
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Red Light Green Light (Love outtake)

Good one, Joe.

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK
Joe Morris Posted - 11/05/2019 : 19:24:13
Red Light Green Light (Love outtake)
Joe Morris Posted - 16/09/2017 : 19:39:42
so outtakes.. Wonder people, Red light green light, Hummingbirds (cut for da capo)
Joe Morris Posted - 08/12/2012 : 03:02:38
hey! what about My Diary!!

Echols tells me the song is on record with the Library of Congress as being by Arthur

I think Rosa Lee Brooks claims she wrote it with Jimi or something. Its clearly by Arthur though (with that business of the birthdays being on the same day)
rocker Posted - 03/04/2012 : 14:23:00
Thanks to you all for tolerating my indulgence with this project.

Tolerating? I think you can see from the reaction that you've done a fine contribution here. Ever since I can recall when I first heard the band I always felt that they needed their "due" for their contribution to music. After all the years it looks like it has happened. The band has gone arguably has gone from coal to a shining diamond. (but we know the diamond story from the beginning, eh?)
underture Posted - 22/03/2012 : 13:07:02
Slight notation on the "You Set The Scene" entry to reflect the debate on the lyrics of the song.

You set the scene
Joe Morris Posted - 21/03/2012 : 15:23:30
no mention of I Do Wonder first appearing on a mid 70s release on Da Capo Records, then eventually seeing release on the 1980 Arthur Lee solo album on Rhino Records, but other than that a damn fine read I think!
underture Posted - 17/01/2012 : 13:56:42
quote:
Originally posted by trtlrock

What a great thread!

Well done underture...

...I've been visiting Torben's site at least weekly for many years, but this song-by-song catalog was so good I had to register.

Wonderful writing.

Kudos.

You're very welcome and thank you. The nice replies I've gotten and overall feedback/replies have made this a great experience for me, from beginning to end.

A couple of thank you's are needed on my part.

Thank you LK for the encouragement. You definitely had the right read on whether this project would work here.

Thank you Torben for the Forum, without which this (or any other of the subjects here) would'nt have happened.

Cheers

You Set The Scene
Joe Morris Posted - 15/01/2012 : 17:42:40
I do Wonder yeah!
trtlrock Posted - 15/01/2012 : 06:44:13
What a great thread!

Well done underture...

...I've been visiting Torben's site at least weekly for many years, but this song-by-song catalog was so good I had to register.

Wonderful writing.

Kudos.
Joe Morris Posted - 04/01/2012 : 13:41:00
good old Bob Weir! Ace!!
underture Posted - 04/01/2012 : 13:28:07
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Weir

Great Work! However, my impression is that the lyrics to Laughing Stock is definitely not "What a thing to fix your brain", but rather "But I think if it should rain, I guess I wanna be where it don't fall on me" which makes more sense and suits the rest of the lyrics much better.

Bob Weir,

Bad news and good news.

The bad news: I made an error on the lyrics in my entry for Laughing Stock (DOH!).

The good news: you were alert enough to catch this. I have corrected this mistake. I kept meaning to relisten to it after your post but kept putting it off until last night. Thanks for catching it and Cheers

You Set The Scene

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page