Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Hummingbird

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
captain america and billy Posted - 13/07/2011 : 18:42:04
I've seen a recent re-issue of "FC" complete with a few bonus tracks,one of them some unreleased tune called "Hummingbird".What's y our take on this one,if you've indeed scored the re-issue with extras.Are there any outttakes of any Love songs I might know available on any releases?I always enjoy listneing to stuff like this,ever since I heard alternate takes on "Strawberry Fields" on a bootleg and subsequent "Beatles Anthology 2".Fascinating to hear works in their inceptual stages.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 15/07/2011 : 01:37:24
Last Wall of the Castle has a different "Hummingbird" - I think theres talking at the end or at the beginning or something

Seems to be the same talk as on the Forever Changes reissue on Rhino howsoever!
lemonade kid Posted - 14/07/2011 : 23:10:47
quote:
Originally posted by scully

quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Get the most complete Forever Changes---Collector's Edition
It has the original Forever Changes (disc 1), a complete Forever Changes of alternate takes (Disc 2)...some of which are preferred over the original for me, and a number of outtakes, demos and bits, such as Wooly Bully...and of course if you don't have Laughing Stock, or Your Mind & We Belong Together....

Plus a great booklet included....A MUST HAVE for any true LoVE fan!

Interesting you should say that, I also prefer to listen to the alternate takes of most of the FC tracks, but I'm not sure why... I was thinking that maybe the slight differences tended to make me focus a bit more. Mind you, I still love the 'standard' one as well, obviously.

Right, scully. Those differences stand out for an "experienced" & loyal listener; it is fascinating and enjoyable every time I listen to those alternate takes or mixes....and as I hear it, I say, "oh wow, that's different! Cool."

Of course as you said, the official release is perfection!

scully Posted - 14/07/2011 : 21:09:45
quote:

It has the original Forever Changes (disc 1), a complete Forever Changes of alternate takes (Disc 2)...some of which are preferred over the original for me, and a number of outtakes, demos and bits, such as Wooly Bully...and of course if you don't have Laughing Stock, or Your Mind & We Belong Together....

Interesting you should say that, I also prefer to listen to the alternate takes of most of the FC tracks, but I'm not sure why... I was thinking that maybe the slight differences tended to make me focus a bit more. Mind you, I still love the 'standard' one as well, obviously.
underture Posted - 13/07/2011 : 20:44:00
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by underture

The deluxe FC is definitely the one to get above all others. The debut album with extras has all songs in stereo and mono, and the B-side to '7 and 7 Is', No. 14. Da Capo with extras is similar, with all songs in mono and stereo, and a working track of '7 and 7 Is'. Four Sail has slightly different versions of three songs.

'Hummingbirds' is something of a orphan lyrically on FC. With it's overly happy lyrics it's almost as if Bryan wrote it instead of Arthur. Yet somehow it fits in with the rest.

You Set The Scene

For all its happy tones, Good Humor Man somehow has a dark foreboding cloud hanging over it all, as if something sinister was coming, behind the beauty of the Summer Of Love--especially with those ending dissonant notes----something not so sweet is coming!.

...it echos perfectly the high hippie days of peace & love, but finally sounding those last notes giving us an image of all that was good & innocent would soon fall apart.

Only Arthur could do that!

It is fascintating to see how the song evolved from the gentle acoustic version from '66 to the album version. I know Johnny initially thought the ending was 'contrived' but over time it did somehow reflect the times with the sweetness swept away by the foreboding and abrupt ending. I think Botnick was the one who manipulated it into the album version.

You Set The Scene
lemonade kid Posted - 13/07/2011 : 20:10:03
quote:
Originally posted by underture

The deluxe FC is definitely the one to get above all others. The debut album with extras has all songs in stereo and mono, and the B-side to '7 and 7 Is', No. 14. Da Capo with extras is similar, with all songs in mono and stereo, and a working track of '7 and 7 Is'. Four Sail has slightly different versions of three songs.

'Hummingbirds' is something of a orphan lyrically on FC. With it's overly happy lyrics it's almost as if Bryan wrote it instead of Arthur. Yet somehow it fits in with the rest.

You Set The Scene

For all its happy tones, Good Humor Man somehow has a dark foreboding cloud hanging over it all, as if something sinister was coming, behind the beauty of the Summer Of Love--especially with those ending dissonant notes----something not so sweet is coming!.

...it echos perfectly the high hippie days of peace & love, but finally sounding those last notes giving us an image of all that was good & innocent would soon fall apart.

Only Arthur could do that!

underture Posted - 13/07/2011 : 19:58:21

You Set The Scene
lemonade kid Posted - 13/07/2011 : 19:07:30
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

I've seen a recent re-issue of "FC" complete with a few bonus tracks,one of them some unreleased tune called "Hummingbird".What's y our take on this one,if you've indeed scored the re-issue with extras.Are there any outttakes of any Love songs I might know available on any releases?I always enjoy listneing to stuff like this,ever since I heard alternate takes on "Strawberry Fields" on a bootleg and subsequent "Beatles Anthology 2".Fascinating to hear works in their inceptual stages.

Hummingbirds (outtake/instrumental) is the working title of the "Good Humor Man...."

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page