Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Black Beauty 'bonus' tracks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lukievan Posted - 12/02/2011 : 04:42:05
Hello to all the Arthur Lee/Love fans out there! My name is Lucas Van Lenten and I work for High Moon Records as a researcher.

High Moon is gearing up to release the "official" version of Love's Black Beauty album. We have been working closely with Diane Lee, the surviving members of the Black Beauty band and many other friends and associates of Arthur's, to make sure that this record lives up to it's outstanding potential. Re-mastered audio, extensive liner notes, a 180g gatefold vinyl version, etc. - this is truly a 'labor of love' and we think everyone is going to be very happy with the final product.

That said, one thing we are still looking for is possible bonus material for the album. The live audience-recorded bootlegs we have heard from the '72-'74 era are great historical documents but the sound quality leaves something to be desired. And there doesn't seem to be much in the way of other demo or studio recordings from that time either. High Moon is hoping to unearth some high-quality recordings to fill out the picture of what Arthur and Love were up to around then. One possibility we are pursuing is to try and locate any possible National State Radio or TV Broadcast recordings from the any dates on the '74 European/Clapton tour. It's also possible that better-quality audience tapes exist, or even unreleased demos from the period. If any of you have potential material on hand, or leads as to where we could find quality recordings, not only would you be doing the Love fans out there a great service, but we would also most certainly acknowledge your contribution in the album credits and compensate you fairly for your efforts.

Thanks so much for hearing me out - if you have any questions or comments, feel free to reply to this post, or email me offline at lukievan@gmail.com

Best,
Lucas
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lukievan Posted - 02/03/2011 : 19:14:01
Thanks for your replies! We are still looking for release-quality live material from the period, so if anything comes up, please let me know. Thanks so much! - Lucas
waxburn Posted - 14/02/2011 : 15:35:43
180 gram vinyl is bounus enough.
have no fear i think some live material will eventually surface.
Joe Morris Posted - 14/02/2011 : 00:27:26
I understand there was a ghastly gig where Arthur was wiping his bottom with a Love sign and the audience was telling him off
John9 Posted - 13/02/2011 : 20:30:35
quote:
Originally posted by lukievan

Hello to all the Arthur Lee/Love fans out there! My name is Lucas Van Lenten and I work for High Moon Records as a researcher.

High Moon is gearing up to release the "official" version of Love's Black Beauty album. We have been working closely with Diane Lee, the surviving members of the Black Beauty band and many other friends and associates of Arthur's, to make sure that this record lives up to it's outstanding potential. Re-mastered audio, extensive liner notes, a 180g gatefold vinyl version, etc. - this is truly a 'labor of love' and we think everyone is going to be very happy with the final product.

That said, one thing we are still looking for is possible bonus material for the album. The live audience-recorded bootlegs we have heard from the '72-'74 era are great historical documents but the sound quality leaves something to be desired. And there doesn't seem to be much in the way of other demo or studio recordings from that time either. High Moon is hoping to unearth some high-quality recordings to fill out the picture of what Arthur and Love were up to around then. One possibility we are pursuing is to try and locate any possible National State Radio or TV Broadcast recordings from the any dates on the '74 European/Clapton tour. It's also possible that better-quality audience tapes exist, or even unreleased demos from the period. If any of you have potential material on hand, or leads as to where we could find quality recordings, not only would you be doing the Love fans out there a great service, but we would also most certainly acknowledge your contribution in the album credits and compensate you fairly for your efforts.

Thanks so much for hearing me out - if you have any questions or comments, feel free to reply to this post, or email me offline at lukievan@gmail.com

Best,
Lucas

I think that this is a thoroughly worthwile project and I really do applaud the care that's being taken over it. I do hope that appropriate bonus material surfaces. I remember the '74 tour being poorly received in the UK music press - but the slimmed down Love that toured here the following year were good. Perhaps there will be something there for an eventual CD release of Reel to Real.
Joe Morris Posted - 13/02/2011 : 02:16:22
"Thailand" is pretty rare

did I ever burn you "Thailand"? its a wretched outtake from the wretched Arthur solo album on Rhino, thats how wretched it is!

I tend to view Arthurs solo album as like to Dylan's Self-Portrait, though the difference is that S-P is a double album that would (perhaps?) have served better as a single album?

Me, I like the strings although its a dispiriting double disc - Blonde and Blonde is probably his best double album, Down in the Groove his worst single disc, if you don't count Dylan (from Columbia - 1973)
which apparently his record company put out when he went off to record with the Band!
(on Asylum)

Black Beauty is gonna be interesting. Its like a "Meet the Beatles" for Arthur, with a new (black) band, although by this time I can't imagine people were still interested in Arthur, except in the UK where he was still wont to tour, and not too well by report. Robert Plant was wont to stand up for his live gigs in the music press!
lemonade kid Posted - 13/02/2011 : 01:26:45
What Lucas would need, i believe, would be original tapes...not digital conversions, unless done really well....

Joe Morris Posted - 13/02/2011 : 01:22:27
I just have "Thailand" and "30 Going home" (if thats the title)

and my cd recording of "Thailand" skips as I recall; the songs a bore

lemonade kid Posted - 12/02/2011 : 18:09:34
We can't wait...180 gram vinyl was beyond my hopes! Fantastic. I hope some of our UK members have something that will meet your (and our) desire for high quality recordings for this "new" release.

Good luck, Lucas!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page