Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Songwriting and the writers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rocker Posted - 29/09/2010 : 15:34:36
I've been thinking about this now and just wonder where perhaps Arthur and Love fit in with the rest of music's songwriters throughout its history. I note this because I'm a big fan of Lighfoot and Neil Young who throughout their long careers have consistently produced such a great library of songs for themselves and their listeners. They just seem to be song-writing geniuses. Some of their songs are absolutely so "perfect" and are here for all time.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 11/10/2010 : 22:27:52
they were both troubled musical genii

Arthur was lucky he survived the 60s, so many of his contemporaries did not

And Bryan did the Bryan Maclean Band, and his solo sets at the Daisy, occasionally opened for Love and played with Love

but nothing either of them ever reached touched their peak as Love in the 60s

or as their nadir (Revelation) either. Hint to any future Love Band: do NOT have Echols sing on his own on an eighteen minute track!

worse than any of Lees throwaway tracks, certainly (Abalony, Morgue Mouth)
rocker Posted - 11/10/2010 : 19:48:26
You know I wish that Bryan and Arthur perhaps cojuld ahve continued on their musical relationship for a band caleld Love or for the offhsoots. I'd think some good songs could have continued to be written as maybe some more "masterpieces". I always thought Bryan temperd Arthur's rockin side and helped Arthur create.
John9 Posted - 11/10/2010 : 09:23:38
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

There's the rub Joe... decent, not exceptional. You're right, his "Muse" all four of them, had abdicated. Too bad... they had the right formula, it would have been cool to see where they would have taken his lyrics

GMM

To my mind, I'm With You, Nothing, Always See Your Face, I Still Wonder, Nice To Be, Willow Willow and Listen To My Song are all top notch compositions - and well ahead of Revelation (which I quite like) as well as several of the more imitative tracks on the first album. For me, the decline becomes truly manifest with False Start and more especially Vindicator - although of course, those two releases also have their adherents.
lemonade kid Posted - 11/10/2010 : 05:53:22
A favorite subject here is Buff and Byrds...could there be a stronger songwriting group of guys in a band than these two?

Buffalo Springfield
Steve Stills
Neil Young
Richie Furay
Jon Messina

Byrds
Gene Clark
Roger McGuinn
Chris Hillman
David Crosby

And throw in Graham Nash in the later marriage of the Byrds and Springfield!!

Joe Morris Posted - 11/10/2010 : 04:14:31
its a great what if? question, isn't it mate? what could the boys have accomplished if they had carried on with Gethesemene

Forever Changes was originally gonna be a double, and there are songs like "Robert Montgomery" that Arthur had written long before, when he still had the original band

not that "Robert Montgomery's a great song (I was always disappointed it was on the Best Of Love compilation that Rhino put out, at the expense of more Forever Changes trax!)

I'm going back to playing the Church!

gatemouthmoore Posted - 10/10/2010 : 21:17:04
There's the rub Joe... decent, not exceptional. You're right, his "Muse" all four of them, had abdicated. Too bad... they had the right formula, it would have been cool to see where they would have taken his lyrics

GMM
Joe Morris Posted - 10/10/2010 : 18:18:25
certainly Arthur wrote decent songs after Forever Changes. Trouble was that his band had left him!
gatemouthmoore Posted - 10/10/2010 : 05:21:47
Arthur only had a very brief window, where he wrote [Great] songs. After 1967, with very few exceptions, his songs were at best underwhelming! With a year like that, he didn't need to do anything but bask in the afterglow of his creations. He always said Jimi did't know the train had left the station, He might have done well to pay heed to his own observations.

GMM
rocker Posted - 08/10/2010 : 01:10:08
..and hey man who was that guy Julio?????????????????????????????...................
Joe Morris Posted - 07/10/2010 : 01:00:06
they're best buds!

I've only heard their Tom and Jerry songs, did they ever record after that?
rocker Posted - 06/10/2010 : 16:35:28
Yes and how's their relationship after all the years of success?

A while back I picked up Garfunkel's record "Some Enchanted Evening" which is his tribute to two favorite singers of his, Chet baker and Johnny mathis (I beleive he's also a favorite of Arthur's). There's some fine songs there. One, "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face", has to be one of the finest songs ever. It just shines when he sings it. To me, the way he voices the lyrics is just astounding. It's just a beautiful and perfect song.
markk Posted - 05/10/2010 : 22:00:40
I would add Simon and Garfunkei
rocker Posted - 05/10/2010 : 18:10:52
lk..I'm going to have to add Neil's Archives stuff to my collection..
rocker Posted - 05/10/2010 : 18:04:23
thx...I've listened to that song countless times..always keeps it powerful melody!....

johnE...Brian Wilson...lately I've been going to his early Beach Boy days with his beautiful singing...love his "Surfer Girl"....
Joe Morris Posted - 02/10/2010 : 23:50:07
yep, Alone again or is Bryans best knownsong

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page