Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Ten Favourite Guitarists

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
boombox Posted - 08/12/2009 : 18:34:34
One of the best things about this board is that while it was the music of Love which drew us together, we all come from differing musical perspectives, which in turn offers us the chance to hear about different musicians. There was a thread a while back (2005) about favourite bands/musicians, but I'd like to refine it further.

So, who are your favourite guitarists? Please note, I mean favourite, not necessarily those who would win the 'greatest' or 'most influential' polls. These are the guys (or gals) whose playing takes you to that "special place" whenever you hear them.

And can we play nice? No bashing guitarists or genres we might not like: this can be more a thread for introducing potential new acts to the group.

So, here are my favourite ten (possibly predictable!!):

1. Jerry Garcia (The Grateful Dead)
2=. Trey Anastasio (Phish)
2=. Tim Palmieri (The Breakfast)
4. Jorma Kaukonen (Jefferson Airplane & Hot Tuna)
5. Steve Hillage/Daevid Allen (Gong - difficult to tell just who is playing what on much of their stuff)

6-10. (In no particular order, depending on mood) Jake Cinninger/Brendan Bayliss (Umphreys McGee), Steve Marriott (Small Faces & Humble Pie), Frank Zappa, Andy Latimer (Camel), Huw Williams (Huw & Tony Williams - now defunct Welsh folk duo)

Honourable mentions too to Crispian Mills (Kula Shaker), Dweezil Zappa, George Harrison, Steven Rothery (Marillion), Slick Aguilar (Jefferson Starship & The KBC Band), David Bromberg, Pye Hastings (Caravan), Janis Ian, Neil Young, Steve Howe (Yes)

I know I must have missed someone out, but... are there any out there who I just MUST listen to?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Joe Morris Posted - 28/10/2011 : 22:03:00
Mick Fleetwood has been playing shows with his Blues Band (as the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band) doing a lot of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac's songs (his recent album Blue Again is live, for the most part, aside from a bonus track (Albatross)

But can anyone confirm if Peter ever played again with Mick & John & Jeremy?

Jeremy Spencer's been recording lately as well (2009 album?).

The blues of course!
lemonade kid Posted - 28/10/2011 : 19:32:05
SONNY LANDRETH...."From The Reach"

"Singer, songwriter and Louisiana slide guitar phenom Sonny Landreth's first studio album in five years unites his band with a who's who of musical guests for a set of all-original roots rock tinged with the blues and New Orleans soul. Featured guitarists and vocalists include Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Vince Gill, Eric Johnson, Robben Ford, Dr. John and Jimmy Buffett."

Way Long Past featuring Robben Ford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUXycSLVcxQ

Blue Tarp Blues featuring Mark Knopfler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINpVJzFXwM

Let it Fly featuring Nadirah Shakoor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBR41oqwqVc&feature=related

--------------------------------------------------------

And from his 2009 expanded CD...Levee Town

Deep South
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLRAMMoFS8w

-Tom Waits
John9 Posted - 04/01/2010 : 17:01:09
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Glad you've discovered the Tuna material - though I'm surprised you didn't ever check it out before, especially after the wonders of 'Embryonic Journey'. But don't discount his searing electric stuff either, not only with the Airplane, but also with Hot Tuna. The mid-70s were a particularly good era for him - I highly recommend his 1978 live album 'Double Dose', if you've not yet got it.

Jorma was the reason, when a few years ago, when I was looking to get a new guitar, I went for an Epiphone semi. It was good fun in music shops trying out different guitars, when everyone thought I must be buying one to ape Oasis, who were huge at the time. I think I found one shop assistant who had heard of Airplane. I have to admit, I keep meaning to buy one of those "If you don't know Jorma, you don't know Jack" t-shirts. It was a similar response when I bought an acoustic twelve string because of Paul Kantner and Tim Buckley's playing: "Oh, you're a Travis fan"!!!

Boombox - many thanks for the call on this. I've also bought Keep On Truckin'The Very Best of Hot Tuna. That one does emphasise the electric side of things and also includes two tracks from the album you mention. These are Killing Time In The Crystal City and Keep Your Lamps Trimmed And Burning - but I shall look out for the original record as well.
caryne Posted - 04/01/2010 : 14:13:06
quote:
Originally posted by The sweet disorder

Lemonade Kid,

If you like slide guitar you should check out Bob Brozman, well worth the search on Youtube.

I'm agreeing on Brozman, he's brilliant, I've seen him live several times and he's always performed wonderfully. If you don't know him do yourself a favour and check him out now.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=47166526
boombox Posted - 04/01/2010 : 14:05:20
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Jorma Kaukonen - considering that I'm such big Airplane fan, it is very much to my discredit that I have only very recently picked up on Jorma's work outside the band. Hot Tuna Live is nothing short of being an acoustic blues masterpiece...and Jorma's picking on for example, Hesitation Blues, Death Don't Have No Mercy and I Know You Rider is some of the best music I've ever heard. Futhermore, I really do wonder whether anyone has ever written a finer acoustic ballad than Genesis....from Jorma's 1974 solo album, Quah. All of a sudden, I feel as though I have been given a new lease of musical life.

Glad you've discovered the Tuna material - though I'm surprised you didn't ever check it out before, especially after the wonders of 'Embryonic Journey'. But don't discount his searing electric stuff either, not only with the Airplane, but also with Hot Tuna. The mid-70s were a particularly good era for him - I highly recommend his 1978 live album 'Double Dose', if you've not yet got it.

Jorma was the reason, when a few years ago, when I was looking to get a new guitar, I went for an Epiphone semi. It was good fun in music shops trying out different guitars, when everyone thought I must be buying one to ape Oasis, who were huge at the time. I think I found one shop assistant who had heard of Airplane. I have to admit, I keep meaning to buy one of those "If you don't know Jorma, you don't know Jack" t-shirts. It was a similar response when I bought an acoustic twelve string because of Paul Kantner and Tim Buckley's playing: "Oh, you're a Travis fan"!!!
lemonade kid Posted - 03/01/2010 : 23:05:18
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Jorma Kaukonen - considering that I'm such big Airplane fan, it is very much to my discredit that I have only very recently picked up on Jorma's work outside the band. Hot Tuna Live is nothing short of being an acoustic blues masterpiece...and Jorma's picking on for example, Hesitation Blues, Death Don't Have No Mercy and I Know You Rider is some of the best music I've ever heard. Futhermore, I really do wonder whether anyone has ever written a finer acoustic ballad than Genesis....from Jorma's 1974 solo album, Quah. All of a sudden, I feel as though I have been given a new lease of musical life.

An amazing artist..YES!

lemonade kid Posted - 03/01/2010 : 23:04:29
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

is Peter Green still playing?

I've read...yes. Touring some, though not really well enough to keep it up full time.

John9 Posted - 03/01/2010 : 20:53:14

Joe Morris Posted - 03/01/2010 : 20:03:30
is Peter Green still playing?
lemonade kid Posted - 03/01/2010 : 07:38:42
quote:
Originally posted by The sweet disorder

Lemonade Kid,

If you like slide guitar you should check out Bob Brozman, well worth the search on Youtube. Also, of course, Ry Cooder for Paris, Texas but I personally like the two songs he does on the Performance soundtrack. Just watching Stones in the Park on Sky Arts so Mick Taylor is sticking in my mind. My personal favorite is David Gilmour - not a flashy player but there is something about the 2 tone bends, pinch harmonics, scrapes and rakes that really get me. Also Jeff Beck of course

Thanks, sd...some great ones there!

bob f. Posted - 03/01/2010 : 05:13:48
another great slide guitarist is Jeff Cotton(RIP) from the band, MU, which
legendary S. Califoria rocker, Merrell Fankhauser led.

...what the world needs now...
The sweet disorder Posted - 03/01/2010 : 01:49:12
Lemonade Kid,

If you like slide guitar you should check out Bob Brozman, well worth the search on Youtube. Also, of course, Ry Cooder for Paris, Texas but I personally like the two songs he does on the Performance soundtrack. Just watching Stones in the Park on Sky Arts so Mick Taylor is sticking in my mind. My personal favorite is David Gilmour - not a flashy player but there is something about the 2 tone bends, pinch harmonics, scrapes and rakes that really get me. Also Jeff Beck of course
Allan Posted - 26/12/2009 : 21:13:14
Very difficult question!!!! Couldn't you have said 'top 20' instead

Rory Gallagher
Jimi Hendrix
Mick Taylor
Mick Ralphs
Phil Manzanera
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Chris Spedding
Peter Green
The Yardbirds (yes)
Richard Thompson

A Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you. I don't get to log in much lately, so Mr. Torben-Thank You yet again for such a fine Messageboard.

Allan
lemonade kid Posted - 20/12/2009 : 07:48:49
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Sonny Landreth...brilliant... here with great rhythm guitar songster favorite John Hiatt!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep3HbeNAW4g&feature=related

And some great LEADS on pedal steel....Rusty Young, Ben Keith, Jerry Garcia, Red Rhodes, Sneaky Pete, Julian Tharpe, Jaydee Maness....
(go to the peda; steel hall of fame..

http://www.scottysmusic.com/hofplq.htm

I found these!! I can't stress enough how much you gotta hear this guitar technique..here is Sonny from an instructional video (try this one Joe) & a seven minute jam that is on fire!!!......I really have never heard an electric slide/lead played like this..considered the best in the world today!

Sonny Landreth--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzk46iToo4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf2k7WpkIxQ&feature=related

lemonade kid Posted - 20/12/2009 : 06:33:11
Sonny Landreth...brilliant... here with great rhythm guitar songster favorite John Hiatt!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep3HbeNAW4g&feature=related

And some great LEADS on pedal steel....Rusty Young, Ben Keith, Jerry Garcia, Red Rhodes, Sneaky Pete, Julian Tharpe, Jaydee Maness....
(go to the peda; steel hall of fame..

http://www.scottysmusic.com/hofplq.htm

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page