Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 Johnny Echols: Just another day in the life of ...
 Arthur Versus John Mathis

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Freedom Man Posted - 10/11/2009 : 20:28:23

Check out the next cassic story about Arthur meeting John Mathis, written told by Mr Johnny Echols!

http://www.thefreedomman.com/love/johnnymain.htm
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 06/10/2011 : 21:16:04
quote:
Originally posted by John9

In Los Angeles and on his 76th birthday a few days ago, Johnny Mathis gave a rare interview to the BBC's Front Row arts programme. This was broadcast this evening and I'll post a link to it if and when it becomes available. He'll be over here very shortly for major concerts at the O2 Arena, Birmingham and Manchester. And with Tony Bennett due to appear on Jools Holland later on this evening, rock really is meeting Broadway just at present......and I'm sure that Arthur Lee would have approved of that.

Mathis is 76?!! I'm so old! He is still that young crooner ...I have one of his many Christmas albums (1971) that we still cherish every holiday time.

And how many times have I heard Arthur Lee's vocals compared to Johnny Mathis on acid!

The Christmas Song
http://www.google.com/search?q=johnny+mathis&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

-Tom Waits
John9 Posted - 04/10/2011 : 21:19:13

In Los Angeles and on his 76th birthday a few days ago, Johnny Mathis gave a rare interview to the BBC's Front Row arts programme. This was broadcast this evening and I'll post a link to it if and when it becomes available. He'll be over here very shortly for major concerts at the O2 Arena, Birmingham and Manchester. And with Tony Bennett due to appear on Jools Holland later on this evening, rock really is meeting Broadway just at present......and I'm sure that Arthur Lee would have approved of that.
Mr. Blues Singer Posted - 17/11/2009 : 18:04:46
Listen to Mathis "Misty" and you can clearly hear som much of Arthurs range and vocal style. And listen to the intro of "Evergreen" (Love theme from a star is born) and tell me which song from Forever Changes that it has inspired.....
lemonade kid Posted - 12/11/2009 : 22:30:59
Arthur's vocal tone and range has been compared to Johnny Mathis many many times over the years by critics ....I read some notes somewhere comparing Arthur to Johnny Mathis on acid..something like that.

There are the softer songs by Arthur where that can be easily heard. I liked Johnny Mathis way back when too. I have a really old Christmas album-my favorite each Christmas. (I think I read that he has recorded more Christmas albums than every other artist in the world COMBINED.... Seems like it!

Mathis was a great athlete and singer in school and had the enviable choice of going professional in either. He decided he would rather have his health and knees...though I suppose the money was not a given with either choice.

John9 Posted - 12/11/2009 : 16:49:21
A fascinating story indeed. My mum and dad loved Johnny Mathis - and I can recall playing a great single by him entitled The Twelfth of Never. Two songs on which I think Arthur definitely showed the Mathis influence were Between Clark And Hilldale and Nice To Be

"On a ship that's travelling a free and flowing course
In and out of soundwaves, a cosmic brotherhood"

Was there ever a better example of 'Arthur meets Broadway'?
caryne Posted - 11/11/2009 : 08:57:51
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

that's a funny story! I'd always thought of Johnny Mathis sounding a little like Arthur, and looking a little like Echols. i thought it was just me.

...what the world needs now...

Not sure he sounded like Arthur but, as young men, there was a certain similarity to Johnny (apologies to Johnny if he doesn't agree). Got to admit I've never been a fan of Mathis, but my Mum is, he has a good voice but I think he spoiled it with that awful 'When a child is born' record, it still gives me nightmares.
gatemouthmoore Posted - 11/11/2009 : 05:35:28
By the way...Johnny Mathis is probably one of the best and most well known singers on the
planet even if he behaved like an idiot on that day!

Who is John Mathis? an analogy would be Art Lee...You really should fix that, so more readers would know who the story is about.
bob f. Posted - 11/11/2009 : 02:39:36
that's a funny story! I'd always thought of Johnny Mathis sounding a little like Arthur, and looking a little like Echols. i thought it was just me.

...what the world needs now...
gatemouthmoore Posted - 11/11/2009 : 01:33:15
This story is priceless,Johnny Mathis was a track star in his day so I can just imagine
him running down the hallways at Columbia,as if he were in the Olympic games.
...Cheers to Arthur for putting the wimpy guy in his place!
caryne Posted - 10/11/2009 : 22:12:49
For a few seconds I thought 'Who the hell is John Mathis'? However, after reading the blog I realise it's Johnny Mathis! Another fine example of Arthur, shall we say, not suffering fools gladly!!

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page