Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Reissues : Petitions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ThomasGalasso Posted - 15/04/2007 : 02:56:43

I am not sure how well these work, but in the wake of The Doors reissues along with the recent Sly & the Family Stone discs, it seems fitting that Forever Changes would get some sort of 40th Anniversay treatment, and maybe even DaCapo for that matter. I am sure they can expand into more lost songs, and even deeper liner notes.

One element that continues to bug me on the current Forever Changes reissue is the inclusion of Arthur Lee saying "that solo is really outta sight man" at the end of "Your Mind and We Belong Together". The actual single should be on the disc unmolested. They can do something else with that soundbite of Arthur.

Anyways, it came to mind, and I am going to use the MySpace at some point (both Siddhartha's and Love's) to push this petition. Manimal Vinyl may also do the same.

-Thomas

Also, I am thinking of contacting someone at Universal in regard to a proper reissue of Out Here and possibly False Start. At some point maybe even Reel to Real and Arthur's 1981 solo record I affectionately dub "The Wig Album". A friend put the "Wig Album" on CD for me, and even did a bit of remastering to the disc and I am actually into it. For better or for worse Arthur's foray into the world of challenging Rick James at the height of his career has aged better than maybe it started off.

Your thoughts ?

myspace.com/lovewitharthurlee

myspace.com/siddharthamusic
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kdion11 Posted - 24/05/2007 : 18:21:36
quote:
Originally posted by astrolobe33

Thanks for the correction KD.
Wow, our man was never picky about who needed a good haranguin' or when, was he?

KD: Hey Astro - nope again, you got that right.

Keith "Down That Road Twice Myself" D
astrolobe33 Posted - 23/05/2007 : 19:58:52
Thanks for the correction KD.
Wow, our man was never picky about who needed a good haranguin' or when, was he?
kdion11 Posted - 23/05/2007 : 19:02:16
quote:
Originally posted by astrolobe33

quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

One more thing of note. The whole Vindicator thing, with Jay Donnellan crawling through a broken window at Arthur's house, well that broken window was from Frank Fayad throwing one of Arthur's mid century modern chairs through the window after an argument. Apparently Fayad was known to go toe-to-toe with Mr. Lee most of the time which is probably one of the reasons he lasted so long with Arthur, not to mention he was an amazing bass player.

Yeah wasn't Frank the one who said Arthur once caused him to drive over a low cliff by chasing him on foot with a gun? That story was printed in either Hoskyns' or Hultkrans' book, I've forgotten which.

KD: Nope. That was Robert Rozelle !

Free the guns !
astrolobe33 Posted - 23/05/2007 : 15:05:16
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

One more thing of note. The whole Vindicator thing, with Jay Donnellan crawling through a broken window at Arthur's house, well that broken window was from Frank Fayad throwing one of Arthur's mid century modern chairs through the window after an argument. Apparently Fayad was known to go toe-to-toe with Mr. Lee most of the time which is probably one of the reasons he lasted so long with Arthur, not to mention he was an amazing bass player.

Yeah wasn't Frank the one who said Arthur once caused him to drive over a low cliff by chasing him on foot with a gun? That story was printed in either Hoskyns' or Hultkrans' book, I've forgotten which.
rocker Posted - 23/05/2007 : 14:38:07
..artistry through conflict for Arthur, eh?.... how many "fights" with Bryan???
ThomasGalasso Posted - 23/05/2007 : 03:32:56

Its good to know that the albums are being given the proper remastered treatment. I must admit however, I am such a snob about my albums, that I would have preferred they do it the way Elektra did theirs. Each disc separate with expanded liner notes.

I will still purchase these items.

-Thomas

Martin Pravda Posted - 19/05/2007 : 14:09:27
Yes, but I don't see why NME would report on it if it wasn't coming to the UK? And if it was just US only, surely it would have said that in the article.
mikeb Posted - 19/05/2007 : 13:08:33
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Pravda

I assume these will come out in the UK shops in June?

I'm assuming they won't as, based on when I checked on the Muddy Waters release and looked at the drop down shipping menu, it seems that for whatever reason Universal Europe isn't making the Hip-O-Select catalogue available in the UK. Overseas dealers however will sometimes ship material to the UK whereas if you go to the record company site officially it's not available to us.
Martin Pravda Posted - 19/05/2007 : 12:06:49
I assume these will come out in the UK shops in June?
mikeb Posted - 19/05/2007 : 12:00:05
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I am sure that it really is a worthwhile purchase - and just think how many real fans there are on this side of the Atlantic who for some crazy reason are not allowed to order it.

I wonder if it's anything to do with the fact that the Ace compilation of Blue Thumb material, Out There, is still on catalogue.

Amazon.com have the Blue Thumb recordings as released on June 26th, $42.99 with free US Shipping, haven't tried to see if it will let me pre-order from the UK yet:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Thumb-Recordings-Love/dp/B000QUU4W8/ref=sr_1_3/102-0584321-8966516?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1179566948&sr=1-3

I found with a Muddy Waters Hip-o-Select collection I was just looking at that only European shipping was to Norway, Switzerland, Isle of Man, same as the Blue Thumb set, amazon.co.uk hadn't got it listed as available from them but there were Swiss and US dealers that I could order it from via their website.

SignedRW Posted - 19/05/2007 : 08:39:43
Guess I may as well be the one to nit-pick the errors in Dave Thompson's (for the most part, pretty decent) notes to the Blue
Thumb Box, knowing that if I don't, someone else will. Alice
Cooper covered "7 & 7 Is," not "Alone Again Or." "Forever Changes"
was released in late '67, not 1968. Drachen Theaker was a drummer,
not a keyboardist, with Arthur Brown (that would be Vincent Crane).
Dave T. says "False Start" had a Valentine's Day 1971 release date, elsewhere in the booklet it states December, 1970 as the release
date. Arthur himself told me (twenty-five years ago), that "Black
Beauty" was not really the name of that unreleased album, but rather,
just one of many names that were kicked around for it, and that he
never did settle on a name for it. And as long as I'm correcting things here, in an earlier post of my own regarding Charlie Karp and
David Hull, "Vindicator" musicians, I mistakenly made it sound as if
their band White Chocolate followed their stint as the Dirty Angels
(do still find and buy their "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye" LP), when in fact it was the other way round. Regardless, I steadfastly maintain that the Blue Thumb Box is a most worthwhile purchase for real fans.
SignedRW Posted - 19/05/2007 : 00:25:24
Hey Keith, like you (and many others here) I too already have copies
of Out Here and False Start on CD, but I can say with certainty that
they sound nowhere near as good as these do, much credit to Bill
Levenson and Suha Gur for the quality sound. The previously unheard
"Live in England, 1970" stuff is just excellent, and as far as I'm
concerned, well worth the price of admission for the live stuff alone;
hearing Arthur interpolate "Funky Broadway" into "Gather 'Round,"
his too cool ad-libs in "Singing Cowboy;" Arthur's own definitely
"on" performance, and the tightness of the live band (a great rhythm
section, and Gary Rowles' at times screamin' and smokin' guitar work!
Excellent (albeit a bit brief, for my taste) notes from Dave Thompson,
and a pretty classy embossed Love logo on the all red sleeve make this
one a "must-own" release for fans. Cheesey "grey area" legal-wise
bootlegs go for this much or more for three disc sets, so truth be
told, I don't really feel like we fans are having the screws put to us here. In fact, I'll bet that you will eventually break down and
own a copy yourself before too long, Keith. It's pretty fine Love.
kdion11 Posted - 18/05/2007 : 23:34:36
[quote]Originally posted by Signed RW

This link will take you to the Hip-O Select site, where the Blue Thumb
set can be ordered. Contrary to reports of a June release date, it's
actually out on May 18th....

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=4B43205C-EFDD-449F-BBA4-6C6CCFF89AC8

KD: Wow. $40 USA for a 3 CD set, two of which I already own.
More record company shenanigans. Not even any bonus tracks on the
two previous offerings. I think I'll pass on this one.

Now if this was a live set by the original line up or the Love
/ Hendrix session as the 3rd disc, I'd be all over it.

Free the music !
dave Posted - 18/05/2007 : 14:30:20
pesonally. i'd love to see & hear an official (re)issue of black beauty...properly mixed and mastered.

some great songs on there....

myspace.com/thesilvertongues

"oh the snot has caked against my pants.........it has turned into crystal"
rocker Posted - 18/05/2007 : 14:16:23
otise.."failure to reach superstar status"...

Well what we can certainly say is that posthumously he hit the big time. I don't know. The times,somebody or something dropped the ball with evaluating Arthur while he was living that's what I have to say.
Apparently, Vindicator to most of us was really good but to the music market and rock critics well I don't think it made a dent. I'll say Arthur wasn't a "marketer" you know? His accolades now are late in coming but better late than never.

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page